Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Cracked Orange Five – what to do?
  • Northwind

Oh buggeration. Warranty is 3 years now for the Five, it used to be 2. So I was right the first time, then uncorrected myself 😐 Sorry for the confusion!

flow
    Free Member

It was 2 years in 2008, its 3 years now.

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/warranty/2008/

Anyway, I think you should buy the frame, then decide what to do when you have it. Either sell it on, or keep it.

justinbieber

Ha ha, I’m just getting confused now! Time for bed me thinks.

bighendo
    Free Member

@ oreetmon…… ive had a couple of marins, bullit, heckler, prophet, all single pivot all regularly jetwashed
    NEVER EVER had to replace a pivot bearing!!!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

personally I would take the half price frame and sell it,

then use the funds to buy a frame with a lifetime warranty and a manufacturer that sticks by it.

HTH

coogan
    Free Member

Best UK trails bike as far as I was aware…

flow
    Free Member

Ignore coogan, he has no friends and feels the need to leave negative comments on any Orange Five thread.

His girlfriend is made of plastic and he has to inflate her with air.

justinbieber

Thanks for the heads-up!

chakaping
    Free Member

Three of my friends have cracked FIVE Oranges (three alpines, two fives) on the “arch” of the swingarm this year.

I mean the bit of the swingarm directly facing the rear tyre.

Anyone else had one go there?

flow
    Free Member

Actually my dads uncles brothers cousins nephews mate cracked one there

Junkyard
    Free Member

ive had a couple of marins, bullit, heckler, prophet, all single pivot all regularly jetwashed
    NEVER EVER had to replace a pivot bearing

perhaps you change bikes before this needs to happen?

jam-bo

2006 five here. Still on original bearings. I rarely wash it though.

No cracks either…

Bagstard
    Free Member

chakaping, that isn’t very reassuring with my second hand alpine on it’s way to me. 😮

alexxx
    Free Member

To be fair, everything cracks if your riding it enough, I would however be gutted if a 5 cracked with that little use esp in 4 places.

I cracked my socom fairly badly this year and got it welded and its still holding up!

lesson learnt – buy from specialized or giant.

jwt
    Free Member

2nd hand 2006/7 5, had it 4 years and 3 sets of bearings ( I may sometimes land slightly sideways which may not help bearing life), i would love a new one as the slacker head angle would suit my riding style. If you loved the last 5,i’d take the deal.

doubletalkin
    Free Member

@11 stone I’ve ridden my five clumsily around the Peaks, Lakes, Dales and Bog of Lancashire for 5 and a bit years. No problems at all with the frame, which is more than can be said for my previous Specialized Epic, which I broke three times (those bikes need a good warranty). I think the 5 is designed around a 12 stone rider, so lighter less chance and heavier more chance of breaking the frame.

tomaso
    Free Member

Nice light aluminium fatigues and fails, they all do. Nothing lasts for ever. The offer of 50% discount is better than a friend who only had one large gaping crack at the seat tube/crossbar joint on a 4 year old Five got offered 25% off.

I’d still be pissed off that they don’t just replace it or offer you a deal that is so attractive that your brand loyalty is unstinting. But I suppose 50% off a manufacturer’s product that doesn’t generally get discounted is keen.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA[/video]

But you’ve got to haggle!

el_diablo
    Free Member

new 2011 frame means –

new headset to fit current forks to new tapered head tube

new 30.9 seat post

new seat post collar or QR?

Who’s paying for that?

kaesae
    Free Member

What happend to the bearings, were they binding or did they have play, or did they collapse?

Gomez13
    Free Member

had a 2002 Patriot for 6 years…never replaced the bearings once…were as sweet as the day I got it..
    had a 2005 Bullit for 4 years…never replaced them either…yip…just as sweet
    both had a hard life…SP designs are no way made of cheese…if you’re partial to fromage…go VPP..
    Currently on a Spesh…2 years in and zero issues..
    Shame for the OP…hope you get sorted…the 50% deal sounds good tho…

justinbieber

@kaesae – the pinch bolts that held the bearings in had seized. There was a little bit of play in the bearings, otherwise I would’ve just left everything and continued riding none the wiser.

el_diablo – Orange. They’re being good about that side of things.

tomaso – tried it. The best Ben will do is throw in a new Hope headset.

justinbieber

doubletalkin – I’m pretty much 12 stone, so who knows.

ransos
    Free Member

The offer from Orange is good in itself, but considering how short the warranty is, I’d suggest that they don’t have much confidence in the durability of their product. I’d go with the advice to buy it, sell it, and get something else.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Cracked Orange Five – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.