Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Courier / Messenger Bags
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Looking at stocking some in the shop…

What’s cool/cheap/selling?

TIA

AD

I like my Osprey Flapjack – works well – but as to whether it is cool or selling.. ?

TiRed

Chrome (except the cheap part)

bigblackshed

Al.

Not sure if you can get cheap workable messenger bags TBH. All of the ones real couriers use tend to be expensive and normally custom ordered.

Off the peg, Chrome for the wanna-bes, Bailey Works, Banjo Brothers. All still expensive. If you want something exotic and handmade in the UK try rupert@belkbags.com or BigxTop. Crumpler for something recognisable to the masses.

FWIW my Chrome Metropolis is 12 years old and still going strong. Built to last.

rOcKeTdOg

My Timbuk bag has lasted for 11 years if daily use, can fault it at all

Whydot

I’ve used a Patagonia Half Mass for the last couple of years. Still looks new…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Timbuk2 are boring but do the job (I have one). Mission Workshop or Chrome are nicer, cooler but priceyer

matt_outandabout

Patagonia Half mass here, used for about 8/9 years on and off, still wearing well and looking smart enough.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Haglofs Courier 15″ in bright green for me.

warpcow
    Free Member

Bagaboo?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love Mission Workshop, not cheap, but fantastic.

Mahanttan Portage stuff is ace in a retro kinda way.

PAC designs are nice too, as is Chrome

Have a look at Greenroom 136.

GrahamS

Big ass Ortlieb one just got a good write up on London Cyclist:

Ortlieb Messenger Bag Review

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers – I was meaning cheap OR cool OR selling.

Stoner
    Free Member

go for a different brand form the norm?

http://www.courierwareusa.com/

Ive been using one of theirs since 1995. Still doing great service.

EDIT: DOh. SOrry 🙁
    But I recommend them for anyone looking to get one retail, if not from Al’s shop 😉

Do you have a store?

We sell all of our products directly via our website. This is the only place you can buy a CourierWare bag; but, if you are in Randolph, VT you can stop by our workshop to see and buy bags.

Do you sell wholesale?

No. We do small production of high quality bags in VT.

jimthelad
    Free Member

All hand made in Leeds. Great bunch of lads.
    Restrap Yorkshire

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Timbuk2 are boring?? HOw when you can custom design…..

matt_outandabout

http://www.trakke.co.uk/product/mule

I like the look of these ^

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I rather like the look of the Carradice Manchester bag, but not the name.

MSP

Recently bought a timbuk2 bag, because of recommendations on here, and I am a bit disappointed with it, in fact for the price its a bit crap.

The true fit cam buckle is an awful design, its awkward and cumbersome, its not one handed as claimed, in fact because it clips up to the inside of the strap and is so close to the actual bag its barely two handed.
    The third leg strap has no where to clip up when not in use so either hangs down or has to be completely removed.
    At least some of the plethora of of stationary organisers should make way for an easy access bike lock holder.

The good points are that it seams fairly sturdy.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Manhattan Portage, reasonably priced but sadly not made on the island anymore.

The yellow labeled, tarp lined ones are brilliant. I’ve had mine for 10 years+ and it’s still going.

As mentioned above Chrome is very good and pricey to match.

There’s bagaboo which are a hungarian copy of PAC designs, both are cheaper than Chrome but still not that cheap.

Then there’s Ortlieb their messenger bags are very waterproof, basic and well priced for what they are.

rOcKeTdOg

i think Timbuk moved their production elsewhere, used to be san francisco IIRC but now maybe overseas, i could be horrendously wrong but this may account for the disappointment above, mine was custom made and sent from the US before anyone was properly importing them

ojom
    Free Member

Al – doing Timbuk2 and it’s going well. I recommend them. Want me to get Pete The Rep to call in on you?

steveoath
    Free Member

I went local (Glasgow). Trakke bags.

Although it appears they have went a “up market” since the first run of cordura bags that I bought mine from.

MSP

i think Timbuk moved their production elsewhere, used to be san francisco IIRC but now maybe overseas, i could be horrendously wrong but this may account for the disappointment above, mine was custom made and sent from the US before anyone was properly importing them

I think they are still built in frisco, and to be fair, there is nothing wrong with the build quality, it’s the poor design of the “value added” features of a supposedly premium product that lets them down.

Having got the timuk2 bag a few weeks ago, and realised its limitations, just looking at the crome and crumpler bags, it looks like they have better addressed the faults I have with the timbuk2.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Freitag… Highly recommended.

Mush
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Brooks Barbican, but at £285, it’s ever so slightly on the eye-wateringly expensive side.

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/bags/cycle+bags+%26+accoutrements/BARBICAN+Shoulder+Bag/

Are there any similar, but less expensive options?

TooTall
    Free Member

Just have a look at the urbanhunter website. If they sell it, it is achingly cool.

Bez

I’ve got a Flapjack, it’s ok but it isn’t a proper courier bag by any stretch.

I have a Crumpler thing I keep meaning to get round to selling. Crisp Suit, I think. Bit bulky for my needs, only used it once. (Mind you, that’s not a proper courier bag either.)

Bez

Oh, and if you want cheap (though add VAT and delivery) plus big plus durable plus reflective, and your definition of “cool” allows for the more kitsch end of things:

http://www.michaellinnell.co.uk/index.php?p=showprod&id=448&cat=Satchels%20and%20Trays

No sternum/waist strap though…

hatter

Another vote for Chrome here, get one of the ‘trad’ messenger bags that are still made in the states and your set, my Metropolis is 9 years old, I commuted with it every day for 6 of those and it’s still going strong.

Yeah they’re a bit of an ‘obvious’ choice and there are plenty about these days but they’re popular for a reason. Surely choosing something else just be part of a more select club is the very essence of hipsterism?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Courier / Messenger Bags’ is closed to new replies.