Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Councils in another can't be ****** shocker!
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Saw her on the TV the other day 'gorilla' gardening…… 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

CK….. that was about as tongue in cheek as I could manage!

😀 I almost replied in a rant, then realised and chuckled into my coffee, glad I spotted it before ranting back 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – have you any idea the amount of work involved? Ever grown your own veg?

TJs own special line of condescension.
    🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Answer MF – have you gown your own veg in reasonable quantities? Made good soil from bad? Do you know what is involved?

hainey
    Free Member

Does it matter whats involved? The fact that people do it on a regular basis means that you are able to do it.

If everyone gave up from day one because something was involved and might need some hard work then we would still be living in caves. 🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Err yes thanks Jeremy – I have grown my own vegetables as well as spending my childhood helping my father with his vegetable plot. So I reckon on approximately 35 years experience of growing fruit and vegetables with around a 10 year gap in the middle when I couldn't be arsed.

Does that help?

kimbers

if people have a problem with their local council why not stand up to be a councilor

instead of coming on here and bitching!

hainey
    Free Member

if people have a problem with their local council why not stand up to be a councilor

I don't have the right amount of anal retentiveness.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough then MF – you should know how difficult it would be to take a brownfield site and make it into productive land for growing food.

Hainey – thats the point – I was talking about brownfield site where this is not done often as its a long and hard process

hainey
    Free Member

Whats hard?

Turn it over, check the ph level, add some organic, inorganic fertilizer, organic matter as required, check ph again. Add seasoning to taste. Done.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

you should know how difficult it would be to take a brownfield site and make it into productive land for growing food.

And that goes back to my original (if somewhat simplistic idea for a solution) – why not let the people who want a plot prepare the plot? Councils could supply advice and basic materials even – many plots that I see have raised beds anyway – even if the site was brownfield, then it would take little effort to create raised beds with a geotextile membrane (such as the sort used in landfill and contaminated land) beneath and simply fill with topsoil/fertiliser etc.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the council could easliy add a condition on any large development planning permission (section 106 IIRC) that requires that an appropriate local facility is created, it's just they rather squeeze the developer to subsidise a bus route, road widening etc. Brownfield sites can be remediated in most cases and it is better done properly rather than by a bunch of amateurs doing it piecemeal. In most cases I imagine it would be a "scrape and replace"

councils are also under a lot of pressure to identify land for housing devlopments which goes into their planning policy. GB's obsession with the need to build "affordable" homes for the rapidly increasing population in England means they can't afford to "lose" sites to allotments in urban areas. The reality is that house building has collasped and will only start again very slowly. Still doesn't get your allotment though.

porterclough
    Free Member

There are allotments at the end of my road. The buggers are constantly lighting bonfires to burn the crap they just grew and smoke wafts down the street because they can't be bothered to take account of weather conditions. I'd be much happier if someone built apartments there instead.

(Does this make me a little Englander or not TJ?)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

to burn the crap they just grew

LOL

druidh
    Free Member

Most cities already have reasonably fertile green spaces which could be turned into allotments with little effort. They tend to be fenced off, or behind high walls, so there is also a degree of privacy and security. They also cost councils a lot of money on upkeep and maintenance.

You'd have to get someone to dispose of the gravestones though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – and the doggers / cottagers would have to go elsewhere then

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – I wouldn't know about these things,but (as usual) you are plainly an expert….

konabunny
    Free Member

zing!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I went for a walk round warriston cemetery – it was a little disturbing. It took me a while to work out why all these men where hanging around.

mudshark
    Free Member

I think Hugh FW has a campaign going to use up unused growing space – people identify spaces to grow the seed then get permission to grow the seed and them people go and grow the seed….

Anyway, not sure what the councils have done wrong here – is it cost effective? If so let the private sector buy land to rent out as allotments – if it's worth doing they'll treat brownfield sites too and charge more.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought 'nature grows the seed'?

mudshark
    Free Member

Oh yeah – that's why I fail in my growing.

Actually I'm slowly digging up more and more of my garden to grow stuff in – this year could be good – if we get enough sun anyway.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Councils in another can't be ****** shocker!’ is closed to new replies.