Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Could this be a crack (sorry, inconclusive pics ahead)?
  • warpcow
    Free Member

I noticed this a few months ago now and didn’t think much of it, but now I’m considering selling the bike. I marked the ends of it when I first saw it, and have probably done a couple of hundred km since with no ‘growth’ in the mark. It looks a lot like other scratchs in the powdercoat, but the position makes me suspicious. It’s a 2006 Heckler, btw.

P1020268 by warpcow, on Flickr

P1020260 by warpcow, on Flickr

bedmaker

Probably just a sticker

Rickos
    Free Member

Looks like a scratch.

Burls72
    Free Member

Looks like a scratch. The way it is split with two close lines together in a fork, a crack is unlikely to look like that. Also, after all that time if it was a crack that size it would have opened up.

Unfortunately the only way to be 100% sure is to have it tested which wouldn’t be cheap.

warpcow
    Free Member

Thanks, that matches my thinking about it. I guess my question left the possibility that anything could be a crack.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Almost certainly just a scratch; but it looks as though the first couple of turns of thread have been stripped from the left-hand hole in the bottom picture.

warpcow
    Free Member

Almost certainly just a scratch; but it looks as though the first couple of turns of thread have been stripped from the left-hand hole in the bottom picture.

Just double-checked and the threads are fine. I guess they must just be out of focus in the photo. Thanks!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

but now I’m considering selling the bike

which makes you a low-life, rip-off scumbag, does it not?

marsdenman
    Free Member

but now I’m considering selling the bike

Have we missed an advert wherin the bike is being offered in ‘as new condition’ or is this just a bid to qualify for an Olympic Gold in jumping to conclusions?

cynic-al
    Free Member

“brainslikerocks” more like!

cooie

Have a look through a good magnifying glass. That’s what l did with my Zesty to confirm a crack.

boxfish
    Free Member

cooie

🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

Only if I sold it to you, without making you aware of the ‘scratch’, which I’d obviously do for anyone else, and then didn’t refund you anything for being a knob, right?

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve never needed to own a magnifying-glass before now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Scratch IMHO
    Unlikely to get a curved crack
    Unlikely to get a crack through weld
    Unlikely forit to split in two in the centre of a crack.

take the paint off and see if it still there to be sure???

cooie

Good point! I got mine at work. Does help though. Maybe borrow one?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I don’t want to put a dampener on things, but make sure you check carefully, this is what happened to my Heckler (on the weld as well and not straight at all) and it was a crack….

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few of the newer models crack there, but never one as old as mine. I believe they generally cracked around the pivot on the downtube. I guess I’ll have a go at looking under the paint when I get a chance.

baznav73
    Free Member

Not a crack, crack would have followed the arc of the weld, as for won’t crack on a weld i have seen plenty of ally tig welds crack right down the middle.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Could this be a crack (sorry, inconclusive pics ahead)?’ is closed to new replies.