Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cotic Soul Dilemma – Orange or Black
  • dashcroft
    Free Member

I am about to buy a new Cotic Soul frame. Been waiting for used ones to come up and they are few and far between and when they do come up they are not much cheaper than new. So I’m going for it. Pros and cons of colours: orange looks great but black is less conspicuous eg to wife. Any thoughts?

timnwild

I’ve got the black meself, and I prefer it – because it’s easier to make the other components look good with it. Given that every single other thing is coming from another manufacturer, and may only be available in black or white a lot of the time, I prefer black.

I’m on a mission to make every component on mine either black or white, but I’m already regretting the white grips 😉

prezet
    Free Member

Black… no orange… wait, black…

… no, orange, def orange (or black)

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I found myself liking the orange a lot at first but in the same way as brightly coloured cars go out of fashion,I reckon that black has a more lasting appeal.

As mentioned colour matching is a lot easier too.For instance the red lettering on RS forks and some components would really jar with orange,whereas black goes with anything and you can always add some red or blue anodised bolts if you want to add a splash of colour.

RustySpanner

Top tip:

1. Imagine 2 bicycle frames, one orange and one black.
    2. Choose the one you prefer.

Hope this helps 🙂

PS, a BFE in blue would be cheaper, just to give you another choice.
    Sorry.

imnotverygood

We seem to get this question on a regular basis here. The answer is always orange.

prezet
    Free Member

PS, a BFE in blue would be cheaper, just to give you another choice.

But everyone knows the gritstone is faster…

ononeorange

Have owned both. It’s close but I would say orange. The black is classy but is hard to get shiny-clean and can quickly look scruffy.

The price of this advice by the way is that you must post up pics on here once built.

Scamper
    Free Member

Went for orange with the black/white decal wrap, then added white brake leavers and calipers and a Charge Spoon with orange stitching/plastic underneath. Thomson post seems to be `blacker’ than most and off set the black decal wrap nicely. The red bits on the reba’s does not seem to clash with the orange either. I’m sure white forks would look better/make me go faster but black were cheaper, which counts for more.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a black BFe and an orange Soul and I like the black BFe and the orange Soul. Helpful? 😉

MSP

What size are you after, I am about to sell a large soul.

ian martin
    Free Member

I crashed my black soul and bought an orange replacement. The black is very understated and the orange is much classier looking.
    You could buy my damaged frame and have it repaired & painted in any colour you like cheaper than a new soul.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BFe in blue is stunning. Soul in Orange I think.

Black is a bit anonymous for a bike frame IMHO.

mildred

I’ve got a black medium for sale – a few weeks old and completely unmarked/as new. I want £385 posted, which for a frame that is just like new is a fairly good price. It’ll come in it’s original box with seat clamp & neoprene chainstay protector.

slimjim78
    Free Member

black looks crap.

orange looks fannytastic

vorlich
    Free Member

Orange with blue bars obviously!

edoverheels
    Free Member

Orange is the only choice.
    Black is too dull and loads of bikes are black.
    I have an Orange Soul and a Black Blood.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

You can buy a soul in something other than Orange. You can also buy a ducati in something other than red. Question is, why would you? Rarely has a bike looked more right than an orange soul, and in 20 years they will look just as classy and stylish.

Disagree orange is a fad colour, have you seen the original laverda Jota from the ’70s?

metalheart
    Free Member

I have a black soul and (currently) an orange Solaris.

The black is classy, everything goes with black but as per above is difficult to come up shiny after a while (if that’s important to you that is).

The orange is very, very nice and at the moment would be my favourite.

Imnotverygood calls it correct though: the answer is always orange… :mrgreen:

crocodilian
    Free Member

Orange, orange, ORANGE!!!

woodsie
    Free Member

def orange all the way 😀
    pass go and collect £200 all the way !!!!!!

Vortexracing

Black defo

P1040284 by eastham_david, on Flickr

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a black Simple and an Orange Soul

Gonna get the Simple done in orange cos it looks ace

the Black can look a bit grotty after a while imho

MoreCashThanDash

The orange looks a bit brash, the black gets tatty quite quickly unless you are sad and polish it every weekend.

When I got mine the options were black and red, always wished I’d got the red…..

shredder
    Free Member

Black with Grtitstone decals

ChrisL

The first time I saw a Soul was an orange Soul and at that moment I knew that it was the colour that mountain bikes should be.

Mountain bikes are for having fun on in the dirt. They are not classy and definitely not stealthy (especially if you have a Hope rear hub). They are fun and orange is a way more fun colour than black. 🙂

avdave2

It’s a bit like buying a Ferrari, it doesn’t have to be red but it’s somehow not quite right in any other colour even if it looks good.

but black is less conspicuous eg to wife.

My wife asked recently “is that a different bike to the one you usually ride”, she wasn’t actually sure despite one being black and the other white.

mildred

Black is best – the darker the berry, the sweeter the fruit!!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Would you buy a ferrari in another colour than red? If yes then go for the black.
    Wait, I realise I’ve said exactly the same as avdave only an hour ago…

brakes
    Free Member

as the owner of an orange cotic roadrat and a black cotic soul, I would got with black – like this

rainbow
    Free Member

I think orange is the best colour, too many black bikes out there, so common and dull

Tasso
    Free Member

I have a black roadrat and orange Dialled PA. Go for the orange.

colournoise

Not quite a Soul but black all the way.

(glad to see from this thread I’m not the only oddball rocking the black-bike-white-gear-cable-outer look)

slainte 😳 rob

brakes
    Free Member

how do you get that cable so straight?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Here’s my orange one in the snow at swinley over the winter.

colournoise

brakes – Member
    how do you get that cable so straight?

Lots of spare white cable outer, a stupidly perfectionist brain when it comes to things lining up and fitting right and a bit of patience.

Actually not quite a straight as it looks there – the final section bows out ‘horizontally’ a bit to allow for rear mech movement.

slainte 🙂 rob

scotty38
    Free Member

I’ve ordered an orange Soul to replace my 15 year old orange Orange P7 so I’d say go for orange.

mattjg
    Free Member

Cotic Souls are orange. Highlight with Raceface SixC bars with orange flashes, and a charge spoon Ti in black (reddish orangey logo). Everything else black (actually I have a Ti post).

Done.

slimjim78
    Free Member

why does everyone keep posting pics of Soul clones with black paint?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul Dilemma – Orange or Black’ is closed to new replies.