Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • cotic solaris owners, any problems?
  • slugrider
    Free Member

Thinking I’d quite like a cotic solaris but id like to hear what a long term owner has to say about them. cheers

m_t_b
    Free Member

Not really allot to go wrong on them not had mine that long but they are tough as based on the bfe front end, no clearance issues or any problems. Ride really well, I have put some light bike carbon rims on mine which are a huge benefit as they eliminate allot of the flex and help to absorb rear end. Shame they do not have 142mm rear, that is all I would change.

bol

I’ve got one of the first off the boat. Not a single issue with it. I don’t give it a lot of abuse, but it’s been to Wales a few times and held its own very well. Thinking about it, it’s the bike I’ve owned longer than any other, so something has got to be right with it. I’d only replace it with a ti version, and that’s not looking likely.

slugrider
    Free Member

One of my questions is how do they cope with trail centres and the bigger hit stuff as i will be trading in my full sus trail eater for it?

stick_man

I broke my Stumpjumper FSR full sus (26) and bought a Solaris about a year ago. Obviously you can set the bike up in different ways but I’ve gone for a short stem, fat tyres (Maxxis Ardent 2.4) and Reba 120mm forks.

It’s ideal for trail centres and a great all rounder; to me it feels easily as fast and nimble in singletrack as my old bike and it carries a lot of speed. Also seems very well built and robust.

sheck

Always considered mine competent, but after a trip to North Yorkshire last month that I’d normally have taken the FS on, I now think its fantastic and am contemplating selling the FS. The crest 29er rims didn’t shine quite as well on the rocky stuff! The only place it feels like hard work is (very) tight, twisty tree lined stuff – trails like the Labyrinth at Swinley – but that could be me as much as the bike, and it’s not like it didn’t cope with them – just feels vaguely outside its natural habitat. I confess it’s taken me longer to feel the love than I thought it would, but having finally fallen for it, I’ve just bought it some stiffer wheels and am looking forward to giving them a go. Oh and it’s also very fast – I think it seems to have the right blend of sprightliness and solidness to be quick both on the ups and the downs, instead of feeling compromised on one or the other

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s a Cotic steel frame, what’s to go wrong?

The rear tyre clearance is tight (I had to butcher my rear mech a little) but nothing drastic (running 2.25 Ardents).

I had an orange one from the first shipment which I moved on to my mate in SA who has ridden the arse off it. He recently returned to the UK and despite my misgivings about the paint job its holding up (well apart from the travelling scrapes but that’s not the bikes fault).

Personally I like it 😀

mansonsoul
    Free Member

One of my questions is how do they cope with trail centres and the bigger hit stuff as i will be trading in my full sus trail eater for it?

It’s a long travel (For a wagon wheeler) steel hardtail, it’ll be fine. Enjoy your new ride when/if you get it!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Maybe the new ones have increased clearance as I can easily run a 2.25 ardent. Mine is the duck egg blue so made in last couple of months.

slugrider
    Free Member

Nice one chaps, I’m decided. cotic it is, now to find one and sell my bikes haha.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I’m on my second cotic. Only ridden the Solaris once so can’t really comment on how it rides. However the paint quality seems to have dropped. I have what appears to be laquer flaking off the top tube after one ride.
    I had thought they were powder coated.
    That’s my only real disappointment so far.

bol

I sold my RIP9 after a weekend at Coey y Brenin wishing I’d taken my Solaris instead. My guess is that a Solaris is enough bike for most people most of the time if you like going up as well as down.

I’d say that once you get used to throwing it about a bit more than you’d need to with a Soul for example, it’s pretty good in tight singletrack too.

metalheart
    Free Member

m_t_b: clearance to the frame is fine, there was very little to the rear (redundant bottom change) arm of the (XT) front mech though. Once dispensed with there has been no problems.

slugrider
    Free Member

I’m now in the market for one so if anyone is selling one please let me know, especially if theyd like to swap for my fs 26

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve got a mkII Soul and have seen a few folk comment on the Cotic paint finish, which surprises me, I’ve no chips in mine or lacquer issues. Cable rub has taken the usual headtube spots down to bare metal, but it’s been pretty durable IME. I ride mostly woodland singletrack though, so less in the way of stones getting flung up at it.

Squidward

I’ve gone from one of the original 29er Simples to a Solaris this Feb when I realised my knees we not up to singlespeeding any more.

It’s built relatively light with bolt thru tapered 100mm rebas, wide flat bars and 60mm stem. I’m bound to be biased but it just feels right. I’d love to try it with the forks at 120mm too though.

It’s my go to bike for everything from alpine stage racing to twisty singletrack in the local woods. The 26″ full susser hasn’t been used all summer. I’ve got a mate whose looking to sell his 26″ 125mm full susser to fund a second Solaris too.

I’ve never had an issue with front mech mud clearance with a number of 2.25″ tyres, but if I did I’d just trim off the redundant mech arm. Paint seems no better or worse than any other bike I’ve had.

Basically it puts the same smile on my face as a full suss frame that costs three times as much and I don’t have to worry about changing pivots or shock servicing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘cotic solaris owners, any problems?’ is closed to new replies.