Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cotic rebuilt: Another old Soul.
  • swingbing
    Free Member

A couple of months ago I got myself an old Soul. It’d had a few scrapes but only skin deep:

I took inspiration from whereisthurso‘s thread, http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wip-cotic-soul-restoration-project and thought that hock had a good idea in suggesting a “petrol” blue soul. The closest I could get at the powder coaters was this:

So that’s what I went for.
    For some reason the pictures really don’t show the colour accurately at all – Looks more like a BFe blue but in reality is a good deal darker.

Built up for trail centres in quite a BFe-esque build, I wanted something comfortable (having come off a 120mm FS bike) that could handle my 90-95 kg kitted up, that would be great fun on the downs but still a decent climber.

Spec:

Cotic Soul frame, earlyish with top routed cables, 19″.
    Maxle-lite Revelation RLT’s run at 130mm.
    Arch Ex on Pro 2.
    Conti MK2 2.Protection.
    Elixir R’s w HS1 rotors and goodridge lines
    10 spd XT (GS )rear mech, shifters and cassette.
    SLX double front mech
    KMC X10L chain.
    Middleburn RS8 X-type, duo spider.
    Hope (stainless) BB.
    Blackspire stinger chain device.
    750mm Easton Havoc carbon bars.
    Superstar nano pedals and zephir stem
    Cheap carbon post from on-one.
    San Marco phobos saddle.
    Hope Head doctor, QR clamp and rear skewer.
    Lizard Skins charger grips!

Some more pics:

I’m very happy with the results. Not had a chance to ride in anger yet, that’ll happen tomorrow weather permitting :S It feels pretty light considering the steel frame/big tyres/revelations, but obviously it’s not intended as a full on XC whippet! Don’t even have any bathroom scales so weight is anyone’s guess…?

In anticipation of someone pulling me up for it, I will chop the steerer a bit more once I have had a decent ride and I’m certain I’ve got it right!
    Thanks for looking.

timmys

I’m no expert but the position of the chain guide looks very odd. I’d suggest it needs rotating so it’s a least an inch higher.

tommy19
    Free Member

I never thought that old frame would look so good, hope your happy with it and it does you well

Vortexracing

That looks nice, good job Sir

Rickos
    Free Member

Looks good. How much was your powder coat?

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Nice job indeed that man and very tasty 8)

StuE
    Free Member

You need a bashring for the stinger to work properly
    http://www.blackspire.com/Tech
    Nice bike

JRTG
    Free Member

Nice bike, I may just have to buy one soon

HansRey

what is that mud guard on the front fork?

swingbing
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments.

tommy19 – Polished up alright didn’t it! Very pleased thanks mate.

timmys and StuE – I’m still playing with the chain guide, will probably end up running it higher. I know it’s designed for use with a bash but I don’t want to cover up the cranks! So far its keeping the chain on fine.

Rickos – Powder coat was an extortionate £30 from Bournes in Birmingham 😛

HansRey – Mud Guard is the mucky nutz bender fender 2.1 – Long name for a bit of plastic with some holes cut out. Works great though.

Ta!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Of all the colours you could have painted it, why paint it in the same colour blue that Cotic already produce bikes in!?!?!

wheelie

Powdercoating is perfect for a mountain bike!

swingbing
    Free Member

Like I said, in the flesh it is a much darker and slightly greener than BFe blue, the camera made it this way! 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The camera never lies! 😉

swingbing
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    The camera never lies!

In that case I’m happy for you to think of it as BFe blue! Should cause some confusion out on the trails either way 😛

alid
    Free Member

swingbing – your paint job looks amazing, what kind of finishes and coats did you get done?

swingbing
    Free Member

@alid – It’s simply powder coated with decals added on top. I did get Bournes to put the tiniest bit of (*don’t listen cotic owners*) metallic in it. It’s a fraction of what they’d put in for a metallic finish, not enough so you can tell it’s there, but helps it really pop out in the sunlight!

Scamper
    Free Member

Nice project and colour. Does this mean i’ll have to keep an eye out for it, around Cannock?

Weight wise i’m going for 26.3lbs, based on my small frame being 26lbs with fat tyres, arch ex with pro 2, 20mm revs, running 1×9 but with no carbon post or bar 😀

honourablegeorge

Very nice – although I really like the look of the old red. Reckon I’d go red for mine if I ever coated it.

swingbing
    Free Member

I’m at Cannock every other weekend or so at the moment, so say hello if you spot me.
    Weighed it the other day using the ever so accurate bathroom scale technique. 26lbs! Scamper wins. Pleased with that considering I’m running 2.4 tyres F+R.

Scamper
    Free Member

Ah, I edited before I saw your accurate bathroom weigh in 😀

Great bike for Cannock, or for most places to be fair. Will keep an eye out for you – should be easy to spot in amongst the Orange 5’s and Specialized.

swingbing
    Free Member

Ha-Scamper you just edited yourself out of hitting the nail on the head. I’ll write the .3lb off though due to the inaccuracy of the measuring system 🙂

What colour you riding so I can look out for you?

ourmaninthenorth

“Old” Soul?

Bloody hell, mine’s the version before red was available! That’s only 8 years ago..!

(Looks lovely BTW 😀 )

Scamper
    Free Member

Orange with obligatory white Revs and white nano pedals for me.

Conespanner

I agree, it’s not that old. I have frame number six with the original head badge design. Great repray I must say, good as new.

swingbing
    Free Member

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I’ll just tag a pic on to prove it’s now getting used and not just polished.

ourmaninthenorth

I have frame number six

Just checked. Mine’s no. 21..!

Conespanner

Ourmaninthenorth, frame 21, a mear youngster!!!

swingbing
    Free Member

Thought I’d update the build thread to include the latest incarnation of the Soul. Now with Flow Ex rims because I was finding the Arch Ex’s a little too narrow to support big volume tyres.

Only other change is a swap to Hans Dampf’s front and rear (tubeless) which I am yet to try out in anger because….

The chainstay has developed a crack. 🙁 I’ve had it welded so I can ride it a bit longer but will be getting a new frame to build all the parts on to around xmas time. The Soul will then get built up with cheap bits as my commuter/pub bike!

So on the plus side, I will have two bikes for the first time!

swingbing
    Free Member

The soul in it’s final incarnation, now with a double and bash setup and tubeless tyres. The Hans Dampf’s in combination with Flow Ex’s have transformed the ride! Sh*t to a blanket doesn’t even cover it 😀

Rode it in the snow at LLandegla yesterday. Couldn’t believe how confidence inspiring it felt on these tyres/rims. No squirming just oodles and oodles of grip! They are slow until you pointing downhill enough, but to my mind it is totally worth it!

Hope bash, because I keep hitting the chainring/chain on walls after failed bunny hops.

Can’t wait to get out and ride it again, just hope it holds together!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lovely. Good to see a used frame build that doesn’t look like it’s from the parts bin.

timnwild

Nice – i might get my old soul powder-coated soon. Like having another bike.

Scamper
    Free Member

Nice update. Also had a bit of squirmy on the back more so with big tyres, although I’ve only got a standard arch and an ex on the front. Putting more air in the rear tyre has made a noticeable difference.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cotic rebuilt: Another old Soul.’ is closed to new replies.