Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Costs to transport a pallet with an engine on it?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I fear my Discovery engine has died. Having a look on ebay for a replacement, but most are south of the border.

Can anyone give me an idea of the costs involved in transporting a pallet from Northamptonshire to Fife?

totalshell

moving motorbikes on pallets we normally stump up 120 plus vat.. llast time i used one was about 6 months ago .. offa ebay i think..there are a couple of guys who move bikes up and down the country every week

mu3266
    Free Member

Could possibly be cheaper to rent a transport vehicle for yourself and pick it up yourself? I couldn’t tell you if the load would require you to have a Cat C licence though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s 360 miles each way. It’d probably cost £120 in fuel alone. It might be tricky getting it into the back of my estate car. Van hire would be too expensive.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mate in the trade reckons £140 plus the VAT.

RustyNissanPrairie

which engine and what makes you think its died?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Go to your local courier company…pallet rate around £65-£70

mcmoonter
    Free Member

which engine and what makes you think its died?

300tdi Discovery. Overheating and coolant pressurising then loss. Oil pressure warning light came on too. Its done 170 000 miles.

Cost of a new head and gaskets comes within a hundred pounds or so of a replacement engine. I’ve found a good low mileage one. I can fit it myself so it should keep costs down.

Go to your local courier company…pallet rate around £65-£70

That sounds reasonable.

MrGrim

Have you tried Gemm?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

mcmooter – and mrgrim – my good mate George owns Gemm in Larbert. Honest / fair / sound guy.

Drop my name or email me if I can help.

ojom
    Free Member

There is a man who runs a 4×4 place in Glenfarg called Angus.

he has a field full of Landys in various states.

Worth looking up incase he has something there – that would be tons cheaper.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have you tried Gemm?

No, but I have heard good things about them.

I’ve tried getting advice on various Land Rover forums, and I spoke to a very helpful guy at Craddocks.

There aren’t the usual head gasket failure symptoms, more related to an air lock. Struggling to get warm air through the heater. On the last test drive the temperature gauge would barely rise from normal, then it suddenl went skywards and water poured out of the expansion tank. The water was hand hot. No pressure explosions typical of a gasket failure. No oil in the water or water in the oil. No steam in exhaust either.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

mcmoonter – I’ll forward those symptoms to George if you want and ask him to call you – or you can call him. He’s off on hols with the kids for Easter though so it’ll be at least a week.

#Edit – his guys are all still in the workshop but things will have slowed down but they still really know their stuff – eg Bobby.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Sorry mcmoonter forgot George, Bobby etc at Gemm, deffo worth a try as mentioned above.

Tom

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I will give them a call on Monday.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

@bumbly- ?

MrGrim

Looking forward to going to Gemm after the summer to get my 300tdi ready for winter. Couldashouldawouda do any of the guys Gemm guys live in Dunf? There’s an old mint 110 round the corner from me with the Gemm wheel cover. Not sure if it’s a customer or one of the guys.

Mcmoonter – if you need a hand picking anything an engine up nearby feel free to give me a shout.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I will give them a call on Monday.

Bank holiday innit.

mcmoonter – you want to drop me a mail and I’ll ask Bobby to ring you when its up and running. You’ll get a blunt – no bullsh fair appraisal.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

@bumbly- ?

I asked Tom earlier in the day for advice.

Mcmoonter – if you need a hand picking anything an engine up nearby feel free to give me a shout.

STW = more helpful than a Land Rover dedicated forum!

I just called Gemm, they are open on Monday.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

do any of the guys Gemm guys live in Dunf?

Yep – They also run the SLROC. I’m searching for photos of how much they terrified my missus last time we went round.

#Edit – Open on Monday? – mmmm. Cats away. Still let us know how you get on. My offer still stands.

MrGrim

Damn iPhone posting. The above posts made sense in my head 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ok – I’m lost too!

Sorry bumbly. I misread your commas etc.

singletrackmind

Apology for not knowing where Fife is . If its not Highlands / Islands you should be able to get a 3 economy pallet for about £50 incl.
    Palletline charge us £50 plus VAT for an overnight .
    PalletForce or PallEx are also good.
    As long as it will go on a 100 x 120 x 150 pallet under 1000kgs you should be OK .
    OK , we send a few pallets a week , but someone somewhere should be able to help you out .

mcmoonter
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda YGM

singletrackmind, that’s the sort of figure I was hoping for.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Forwarded to gorge.

I’ll call Bobby on monday and he’ll get get back to you in In the interim.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Costs to transport a pallet with an engine on it?’ is closed to new replies.