Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cosine disc road wheels or something else
  • karnali
    Free Member

They look like good value at £171 and good weight at just over 1600 or is there something else I should consider budget upto about £300

Ta

lunge

You looked on Superstar? They’re normally very good value for what you get.

Eddiethegent

I bought a pair of the Cosine wheels at the beginning of the year and I’m pretty pleased with them.

They look more expensive then they are and have stayed true despite subjecting them to the terrible roads around here.

I would recommend them with one reservation: the freewheel is very loud. Not quite Hope hub loud but everyone else in the group can easily hear when you slack off and stop pedalling!

karnali
    Free Member

Thanks for that very useful

nathb
    Free Member

I went for some Fulcrum Racing Sport DB for £110 (Ribble had them on offer). They’re not the lightest at circa 1900g (if memory serves me correctly), but they have stood up very well to London’s pot holes.

At the time the Cosine weren’t in stock 😥

milfordvet
    Free Member

Just bought a Roubaix SL4 Elite Disc in the sale and been mulling over the wheels after being described as ‘heavy’. The rims are good though. The hubs are relatively heavy but that doen’t matter so much.

Measuring and looking at the assymetric profile I think the Specialized Axis 2.0 rims use the new Alex Draw 1.9 S asymmetric rims which at 410g and 17mm internal/ 23-24 external are good. They are tubeless ready (have a big groove and click tyres on) and I’m pretty sure it’s the same rim used on the Cosine. Genesis use the same rim on the Croix Anniversary as well as a few other manufacturers for their cross/ road/ disc bikes.

My spokes are not butted like the cosine’s so some extra weight there, and my hubs appear to be cup and cone Formula RX-25 and RX 26-11 looking at them, compared to the lighter Novatec 771/772? with sealed bearings that appear to be on the Cosines.

The Cosine’s are extremely good value for money. Only the spokes might really be improved.

Hunt’s 4Season Gravel disc/ Dur Disc wheelset at £250-£350 appear to use a similar rim and Novatec hubs but with better spokes. The Aero set uses a slightly more aero rim with Pillar aero spokes similar to CX rays.

Since disc road bikes are using rims similar to narrower old school 29er rims, you might be able to use the Superstar deals, they have BOR 333 rim wheelsets for well under budget. Just wasn’t sure if the rims are designed to take road higher pressures or not. Notably they also have 29er XC Carbon rims for £100 each, and I think they are 17mm internal but again not sure about max pressures for road v mtb use.

If you want light, Light Bicycle can put their rims on Novatex 711/712 hubs for about £350 but with shipping and maybe some import tax it’s abit over budget, but you can get some 280g tubular disc rims there and a tubular tyre to really get some fast spin up. Other rims, with deeper sections too. Or just buy the rims at about £100 each with the righ hole count and pay less import tax and relace them onto your existing hubs with some light spokes for a fast set.

Going to try the tubeless Schwalbe Pro One next on my Axis 2.0’s as I think if I change the rim strip for some Stans strip and valves they’ll be good to go. The Alex Draw rim is not welded but plenty of people seem to get this type of rim running tubless and it’s advertised by Alex as such. See how it rides. You should be able to do the same on the Cosine’s I think.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Forgot to say that if you want UK handbuilts, Spokesman Wheels has a selection, like 771/772 with Grails or Stans Alpha under budget.

Also can’t see why Hope Pro4’s on Hope XC hoops wouldn’t be about right if running cross tyres or 28’s: seem to be the dimensions they are running at for aerodynamics: 19 internal/ 24 external. 390g rim. Could also use them on an XC 29er for a usefull set.

maxlite
    Free Member

Have a set of Cosine’s (running cross tyre’s)….no problems with them. Also have a set of Pro Lite Revo A21 which have also been brilliant, hub not as load as Cosine. Pro Lite’s were price matched and came down to £180.

I ordered a second set or Revo’s, but Wiggle messed up order (they were not shown out of stock) so they offered a me set of Cosines at £130.

Cosine’s are a bargain even at full price 🙂

plus-one

I’m running the mavic wheels in link above and they’re very good(fit and forget) not the lightest but bombproof ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cosine disc road wheels or something else’ is closed to new replies.