• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cornwall Cottages – last minute booking – what company?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Due to the weather the wife and I are thinking of renting a cottage rather than the usual camping trip.

Looking for a place starting on the 5th May somewhere near St Ives area maybe for a week. Just a small cottage nothing fancy but by the sea and a decent real ale pub.

Can anybody recommend any companies where we might might be able to pick up a last minute bargain.

Thanks

wallop

Try Helpful Holidays. Expensive near St Ives though. Try somewhere near Zennor for the Tinners Arms or near Gurnards Head for, er, The Gurnards Head pub.

Rik
    Free Member

Excellent cheers

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

we have used cottages4you in the past and the cottage was just as described and the pricing and grading were really helpful. I like the fact that you can specify near a pub for example (well we are on holiday). I have heard that the national trust cottages are really nice although do cost a bit more.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve used english country cottages in the past.

was fine. last minute bookings done over the phone.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try Salcombe and the estuary for a different POV, if so Coast&Country Cottages have always done me proud.

Rik
    Free Member

Excellent again – more info the better.

Only picked St Ives as I’ve been before for the day……will be taking the road bikes so looking to do some nice big loops so want beautiful roads and villages and sea :0)

Hopefully you’ll of picked up I don’t really know the area……

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We stayed HERE (The Sands apartments) a couple of years ago – got a really great bargain in October half term (about £300 for the 4 of us I recall). All done out really nicely – luxury bathrooms, coffee machines, Bose stereo etc.

It is quite a (VERY STEEP) walk up the hill from Carbis Bay but not too far from the train station for quick journeys into St Ives.

We just called the owner directly and he did us a great deal that wasn’t available via his website. And when our little girls (1yr old at the time) broke things they just said ‘thanks for letting us know, don’t worry, there’s no charge’.

But – it isn’t ‘by the sea’ but has great views of it. And there are no real ale pubs unless you get the short train trip into St Ives.
    And just noticed you don’t know the area – Carbis Bay is beautiful, golden sands and very well sheltered (we played on the beach in October).

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks, but def looking for more of a romantic cottage or terrace than an apartment but I will def keep it mind.

Nobby

We’ve had several good experiences of THESE

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Not on discount, but this is available if you fancy something a bit different!

http://www.helpfulholidays.com/property.asp?ref=Z44&year=2012

Quite isolated though – if you want a village location you may prefer looking at Zennor, St Just, Mousehole and the like.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my place… http://www.littlebeachhouse.co.uk

give me two secs and i’ll check availability. you can book direct through me for a better rate than our agency.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ok, can def do you buy the sea and there’s a good pub in the cove with nice ale but 4-11 may is booked i’m afraid.

we go fri to fri and can do…

27/4-4/5
    11/5-18/5
    18/5-25/5 (the 19th the olympic torch starts from lands end)

if you want a price feel free to email me.

MrNutt
    Free Member

have stayed here and it was really nice: http://www.furthestwest.com/content/view/29/40/

would second the suggestion of Charles Inkin’s The Gurnards Head Bruce R is a great chef and its quite possibly one of the best places to enjoy lazy days (and nights) in the world.

julioflo
    Free Member

Can really rate the Gurnards Head for some damn fine food. Was there for a wedding anniversary meal with Mrs Julioflo on saturday night actually. Top. However accomodation was the Flomobile (mercedes vito van) on Sennen Cove Harbour carpark.
    But Cornish Cottage Holidays have been ace in the past. They sorted us out a great last minute deal on a lovely cottage in Pendeen a few years ago. Booked it on a Sunday night and was there the next morning.

Rik
    Free Member

gavtheoldskater – cheers for the offer and the place looks great but we can only go on the 5th due to work.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

no probs, you know where to find me if you ever want it.

http://www.classic.co.uk are worth a call.

Can really rate the Gurnards Head

nah, it was way better when it was spit and sawdust. its just overpriced tourist fodder now. shame as its literally the local at the end of my road.

Rik
    Free Member

Has anybody stayed near Lizard Point? Any good? Still looks nice and central for the tourist areas and the coastal path..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cornwall Cottages – last minute booking – what company?’ is closed to new replies.