Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Conversion of standard QR Hope XC front hub to QR15 – why WON'T this work?
  • clubber
    Free Member

So, I have a Hope XC front hub. I also have a new QR15 fork. Computer says no…

If I remove the axle and bearings from the hub (6001 bearings are 28mm outside dia, 12 inside dia and 8mm wide) and replace with two 61902 bearings (28mm outside, 15mm inside, 7mm wide) which are commonly used in other Hope hubs) and then get the necessary spacers machined (easily done at work), can anyone see any reason why it won't work as I can't 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Guess it must work then 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cant see why not, you'd need a spacer isnide the hub to stop the inner races being pushed together but cant see why it wouldnt work. Have you checked the internal diameter of the hub is >15mm as well?

glenh
    Free Member

It won't work as your axle will be the wrong size 😛

clubber
    Free Member

I thought about the spacer between the bearings tinas but 15mm Hope Pro2s (20mm bearings with adaptors to make them fit 15mm) don't have one so I reckon that so long as you don't heavily preload them then that should be ok.

Inside of the hub is definitely >15mm 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Actualy thats probably right as 20mm forks clamp the wheel and compress it like a QR does, 15 mm forks are set to tighten to a set distance and not actualy clamp the hub (IIRC)?

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, 15mm hubs should be 100mm OLD (though obviously there aren't actually any locknuts 🙂 ) – tempted now to do this rather than buying a hub…

z1ppy

Well just remember to knock a batch of the end caps up for everyone, once you've got your done & tested.
    (Or take lots of pic for us to copy your design)

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – well I reckon it's actually suprisingly straight forward and you could do it with a bunch of washers rather than getting something machined if you really wanted.

Or even just some alu tube from ebay with 15mm ID.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Iv seen it done with brass and copper before now as its easy to work on

clubber
    Free Member

Heavier though 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

Yes Clubber,

But I've been searching for 20mm tubing with a 15mm ID all day but just can't find anything in either plastic or metal. Still a bit annoyed that the 17mm ID one didn't quite work.

Not the end of the world though – just have to take a little length of 15mm tubing with me on rides in case i need to remove the front wheel until i can find a more permanent solution.

clubber
    Free Member

I found some tube on ebay which was 15.8mm ID which I reckon would work. Either way, having actually got the fork now, making a rod to push the axle cap is pretty easy anyway and may be a better option I reckon.

coatesy
    Free Member

Just checked on hope's website to make sure I wasn't imagining the spacer between the bearings on Pro11's, definitely one in there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

so I reckon that so long as you don't heavily preload them then that should be ok.

no offence but I think this project may be too much for you.

clubber
    Free Member

No offence but I don't think you know what you're talking about 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO You must have a spacer between the bearings. They will collapse in short order without as they will be unsupported in preload and side loads and you will not be able to control end float.

If you can get machining done its no problem to do so.

clubber
    Free Member

Indeed and I would have agreed in isolation but Hope and Halo amongst others seem to manage without when using their 20->15mm adaptors…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hope at 20 mm do have a central spacer. You have to remove the bearings to remove it so i assume its still there after the 15 mm conversion

clubber
    Free Member

Yes indeed just found it myself

Which makes a lot more sense… Guess I'll get that made too then.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh the irony

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ironing?

Hadge
    Free Member

I guess the reason Hope haven't made anything is they would rather you buy a nice shiny new pukka 15mm hub, which being honest are quite cheap but it's always the wheel build that adds cost. I'll have a butchers at work tomorrow and see if we can't make something as an after-market bit 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Conversion of standard QR Hope XC front hub to QR15 – why WON'T this work?’ is closed to new replies.