Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 UST Black Chili
  • mboy
    Free Member

How does the 2.2 UST Black Chili roll compared to the 2.2 XR4?

Not much in it to be honest. Very little if anything. I normally run a 2.25″ Crossmark in the back now, which is a pretty quick tyre for its size, and offroad certainly the Rubber Queen is almost as quick. Slower on Tarmac, a bit but then that doesn’t concern me too much. Much quicker than a High Roller or Minion though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…and grip on wet roots too!!

Can we get this clear – nothing, nothing grips on wet roots short of having large spiky things protruding from it. It’s a bit like saying you have a tyre that grips on ice (which again requires said large spiky things).

🙄

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just a quick report – im using the 2.2 ust’s F&R – the grip on these is amazing – these are incredibly grippy and im sure somebody posted above they absolutly float over stuff, a little odd at first but once you get used to it you can really throw these around anything and they just stick (guessing the black chili does that)…they eat up rocks and bounce (in a good way) over anything in their path, yet you feel that your still in control and the grip over almost anything (including roots and slabs) etc is the best ive used!

however the only downside is boy are these slow on the road – linking up trails is not fun at all…as im running a lowish pressure too around 29 on the back 27 on the front, the rear is draggy as hell…dont get me wrong i know they are not designed for road use so i cant complain really…out on the trails and natural stuff the grip and speed seems really really quick and i doubt you notice any drag at all off road on anything.. but hit tarmac and they drag…

so ive now bought a conti X King 2.4UST for the rear to ease the pain in summer months on tarmac, hopefully this will be a good trade off and ill continue to use the RQ up front as its very confidence inspiring! really cannot see me getting rid of this as a front tyre …..ever!..x king tread looks similar to a nobby nic to me which ive run before and are quick on the road etc (and dry summer trails) so hopefully this will suffice!

mocmartini
    Free Member

anyone fitted the 222 or 2.4 UST to a Trek Fuel Ex 9.7?

thanks

emanuel
    Free Member

someone above talked about a snakeskin RQ,snakeskin is a schwalbe thing.
    got them on both mtbs,2.4 on ht,2.2 on fs,both ust.
    Great tyres,wear really well too.so work out a fair bit cheaper than schwalbes.Bit heavier though
    Only run them in the front,RR/fat albert in the rear.

sizing (measured with vernier calipers)is the same as schwalbe,but I don’t know why they seem a little fatter.

No tyre will make up for bad technique on wet roots.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m going to spoil the love in. I think the RQs let go far too easily in the corners. Yes, they’re predictable but drift when other tyres would still be holding a line. Drifting’s fun but you lose speed, especialy in some corners and it can leave you on the wrong line.

rlawrie23
    Free Member

Im possibly a bit biased seen as I spent the last hour repairing and fitting a 2.2 ust black chilli on my crossmax. I cant say im impressed with the durability seen as it suffered a large hole in the sidewall when pushing up a hill.
    Secondly the grip is nowhere near what I expected, I run a bontrager xr4 TLR on the front and its not much slower and the grip is in a whole different league on all surfaces.
    Nightmare to set up tubeless too.
    It does roll quick and will roll over anything but don’t think I’ll be buying another.

chrismac

I thought I would join in the lovefest for the RQ. I have 2.2 RQ up front and mountain king on the back of my trail bike. My girl friend refuses to ride anything without her RQ’s on both ends. Seem to grip well, roll well and last. The mountain king can be a bit slippy in the wet I feel

rj
    Free Member

I’m also running a 2.2 UST RQ on the back and an XR4 on the front. I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by the RQ, bit too drifty for my taste and doesn’t have the grip over roots, etc that the XR4 does. If Anyone wants to swap a 2.35 XR4 team for a 6 week old RQ, I’d be open to offers.

chiefgrooveguru

Is that this XR4 (new): http://media.bontrager.com/images/category/470×310/BT11_Category_Hero_Tires.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

or this XR4 (old): http://direct.coresites.mporatrons.com/dirt/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/bontrager.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
    ?

I had the latter 2.2 Team Issue TLR front and rear, changed to a RQ 2.2 BC UST front and an X-King 2.4 BC Protection rear. Loving the fast drifty rear, sticky confidence inspiring front.

I’m more and more convinced that so much of tyre likes/dislikes are dependant on how you ride. I don’t think the Rubber Queen seriously grips laterally until it’s well leant over. However if you don’t get it onto the side knobs it’s quite kindly in its drifting, not as scary as a High Roller. Crank it over and it rails corners far harder than my old XR4s, which were excellent until the cornering forces got properly high and then I’d feel the side knobs bend over and the tyre start crawling/drifting into understeer.

rj
    Free Member

New one.

vorlich
    Free Member

So are RQ BC recommend on the rear?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 UST Black Chili’ is closed to new replies.