Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Conti Mountain King 2's any good?
  • chestrockwell

Hello all. Fancy a change of tyre as I don’t like the Bonty XR4’s (old style) I’ve got atm. Bought some wheels off a mate and they came on them. They drag like hell and feel like they weigh a ton!

Anyway, my usual go to tyre is the Nevegal/Blue Groove combo but I’ve come over a bit weight weenie and the Conti’s seem to come in pretty light for what they are. I ride all types of terrain but not usually too hardcore so as long as they’re not made of cheese they should be ok. Can any one give an opinion on the Conti’s please?

johnellison
    Free Member

I like ’em. They often get criticised (as did the old Mountain Kings) for having paper-thin sidewalls which are easily torn, but touch wood I’ve never had a problem.

I did have an old Mountain King blow out on me once (bead came away from sidewall) but as it was all but worn out and due for replacement anyway it didn’t bother me.

Good all round tyre and pretty fast rolling.

ratherbeintobago

I’ve got some recently; I like them too.

Have the ProTection ones FWIW; seated and went up easily tubeless.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have the 2.4 black chili/protection on the front. I like it. They come up a bit small so a 2.4/2.2 combo is pretty good for average uk conditions. Not the fastest tyre but good levels of grip for the weight/size of it. Stay away from the cheap ones. All sorts of problems seem to appear on the cheaper construction versions.

chestrockwell

Yeah, would steer clear of the cheap ones. I had wondered about the side walls so probably wouldn’t go for the race version but the ProTection have pricked my interest. Are they significantly tougher then the standard version?

Thanks for the responses btw. 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a BC one on the rear it’s OK but slips quite easily on wet roots (to be expected really) however it rolls fast, seems sturdy enough and has good grip in variable conditions. Comes up small compared the the 2.2 Rubber Queen I have up front.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m using a Conti MK2 2.4 Bc Protection, front and rear at the moment. Been all over Scotland, and to the Alps. Great tyre combo.

I’ve sliced one of the sidewalls on some very sharp rock, which would have destroyed Schwalbe tyres I used to use, but it’s still going strong.

They’re grippy, fast’ish rolling, can be run at low pressures (18psi).

The wet roots comment doesn’t really matter, as I find they’re fine – and I ride in one of the most rooty places you could find in the UK. They don’t stick to wet roots, but they’re predictably drifty on them.

Compare to the XKings, they’re more grippy and more confidence inspiring, I’ve not noticed any rolling difference. Compared to the Rubber Queens, they’re very very similar, if a little quicker, and a tiny bit less grip, but they don’t don’t slip out at the front.

They’re way faster than Nevagals or Blue Grooves.

Way more sensitive than XR4s, which I found dead feeling and slow.

All in all, I really like them. The 2.2 comes up 2.09, the 2.4 comes up 2.29 on Crests and Arch EXs.

Although, given the price I’ll probably go to On-One ChunkyMonkey and Smorgasboard as my next set, all the guides in the alps were running them, as is my missus and they’re rated by them.

jonnyrockymountain

I really like mine good grip on all surfaces, decent rolling

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Conti Mountain King 2's any good?’ is closed to new replies.