Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Connecting old-style XTR dual controls to XT calipers…?
  • kevin1911

Afternoon everyone,

In my tightwad cheapskate attempt to build a decent set of brakes on a budget, I sourced some old-style XT brakes (M755) (both with RH levers, to pretty cheap) from which I have taken the calipers and hoses. I also sourced some XTR dual-control units (M966), thinking I could just stick them on the end of the hoses with the same fittings from the XT hoses.

But of course that would have been too simple and convenient 🙁

It seems the XTR levers need a banjo fitting whereas the XT hoses are straight-through connectors.

I've looked at getting the XTR banjo unit, but they're looking super-expensive (£26 for a few little bits of metal, PER END). So I'm wondering if the collective intellect of STW can think of any other way to get around it. Would any other banjos and bolts fit?

I've looked into goodridge, but the 107 kit says it's good for M960, but not for M755, so that would just give me the same problem in reverse (I think?)

All (constructive) suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
    Kevin

chappers
    Free Member

Hi Kevin,

I've just replaced my XT775 brake levers with 960 XTR dual controls and I used these from Chainreaction.. The hoses come with a banjo pre-crimped onto the hose for connection to the XTR dual control shifters and an in-line connection that you can fit to the other end of the hose (after cutting it to length) for connection to the XT calipers. £9 for the 900mm front and £14.99 for the 1700mm long rear.

Work a treat and cheaper than Goodridge etc.

Regards
    Kev.

kevin1911

Thanks Kev – I noticed your post from a few months ago just after posting up. Looks like I made a mistake in my post too – the calipers are M765s, not M755s. The 765s seem to also have a banjo fitting – so looks like I need banjo to banjo. I still can't work out if the banjo needs to be the same at both ends or if the caliper end needs a 'thin' banjo – which Goodridge seem to refer to…

all very confusing…

[Edited for clarity]

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I've got M766 shufter/brake combo & they take the straight (not banjo fitting) pretty sure the XT & XTR were the same.

kevin1911

Trialseeker – that's what I thought too. I think the new XTRs take straight-through, but the older ones still used the banjo fitting (well, the dual-controls do, not sure about the normal ones).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes the M765s are banjo fitting.
    You need SM-BH96 hoses according to Shimano tec docs.

bigyinn
    Free Member
    kevin1911

The SM-BH96 hoses seem to be as rare as hens teeth (according to Google anyway). Bigyinn, I kind of object to paying £25 just for the banjo – for a fiver more I can get a set of goodridge hoses and fittings. Right now, that seems to be my only choice as far as I can see…?

Mister-P
    Free Member

SM-BH96 hoses are discontinued hence the difficulty in getting them. Goodridge is probably the easiest option.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

HEL dealers can make up custom brakelines IIRC, they're like goordich only with non-resuable (crimped, not threaded) fittings.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TBH yes, goodridge are you're only option.
    HERE
    Go for Stainless silver @ £20 a set + hose.

kevin1911

Anyone used the Clarks equivalent? HERE

Seems to be excellent value…?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Potentially that might do the job, depends on the fittings that come supplied with it. From the pictures i can see 2 banjo fittings, but whether there are 2 more or not remains to be seen.

kevin1911

Oh – I presumed that each set would just do 1 brake – so was thinking that the two banjos visible in the picture would be either end of one cable…I've ordered 2 sets though, so hopefully I should be able to mix and match fittings.

Sometimes trying being a clever skinflint just isn't worth it 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Connecting old-style XTR dual controls to XT calipers…?’ is closed to new replies.