Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Conditions at Glentress?
  • Wharfedale
    Free Member

Anybody local to Glentress? I’m heading up that way on Thursday/Friday this week with work and I’m wondering if its worth chucking the bike in? Don’t mind a bit of mud but I’m a bit wary of snow and ice when I’m out on my own.

Ta

poah
    Free Member

snow on the top parts and a fair few puddles.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Was there on Saturday
    There is a diversion to the top of Spooky Woods that goes up a very steep muddy and sludgy/snowy/icy fireroad – not much fun. Top half of Spooky Woods is pretty slidy – best staying further down in the forest

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nikk
    Free Member

The hut on the black route last Saturday:

Up by the mast on the Black:

There was snow from below the Buzzards Nest, but mostly ridable till the exposed last bit of the climb to the hut, then the whole of the climb to the mast.

Other than that, lots of icy puddles, waterproof footwear and good trousers recommended.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Hmm not selling it to me much. Would the blue route be better for a couple of laps? I don’t know the geography of the area that well.

2tyred

Was there on Tuesday – no snow from Spooky wood downwards, but it did snow over much of Scotland yesterday afternoon and its been cold since, so it may well be whiter today!

Midweek sees the upper blue sections (everything above the Buzzards car park) and the freeride park closed at the moment for forestry works. Diversion up the mast fireroad to the top of Spooky wood.

nikk
    Free Member

Just keep going up till you reach too much snow, then go down again. There is loads of stuff lower down that will be fine, albeit still wet probably.

skindog
    Free Member

I was up on Sunday, quite a bit is closed for tree felling with a smattering of snow on the top. Best bet is to tackle the diversion which is a long muddy climb to the top of spooky woods but from there it is down hill all the way and pretty fun.

Mud and puddles of course but nothing like plugging aound natural trails at this time of year.

Worth a go if you are there anyway!

legend
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member

Was there on Saturday
    There is a diversion to the top of Spooky Woods that goes up a very steep muddy and sludgy/snowy/icy fireroad – not much fun. Top half of Spooky Woods is pretty slidy – best staying further down in the forest

The normal Spooky Woods climb is fine just now. The only problem is that the fireroad that runs past the top of Berm Baby Berm etc is closed. During the week there’s a good chance there’ll be forest workings on the road, but at the weekend it was clear all the way up

poah
    Free Member

berm baby berm is closed for bit and the freeride park is closed during the week according to the website. there are a couple of recent videos on youtube you can check.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Top of spooky wood on Saturday just past. It’s was fun if a little slippery

nikk
    Free Member

Today, Black Route.

Ok below about 400m. Snow progressively more the further up you go. Less snow lower down, seemed to be thawing. More snow higher up than last week.

The hut:

Less snow on the roof than last week, but deeper on the ground for some reason (wind?). Path just round from the hut was quite deep in snow, seemed to have drifted there.

By the mast:

Snow was deeper.

Snowman has lost his head and some body. Shrunken head was added as snow was powdery with a crusty top. The snow was not not snowman snow, man.

The walk from the bottom of Britney Spears to the mast was quite tough, 5″ of snow a lot of the time. One section (off piste) I went knee deep in snow.

Track down from the mast, very draggy to cycle on, and hard to steer. :

Just ridable downhill, but when it is flat, forget it. Walk to the woods.

In the woods was mostly clear, some patches of ridable but sketchy snow.

Deliverance was clear and riding well.

Rest was all clear. The day was lovely, there was this funny orange thing in the sky:

Days like these, I’m happy just to be here:

AlasdairMc

Good pictures there nikk. I’m tempted to head down tomorrow as I’m off work, but it might be a step too far for the single speed…

alexdodd
    Free Member

Struggled round today, quite a bit of snow and quite slippery at times, personally i just didn’t have the right rubber on my bike. But i survived and it was certainly different! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Conditions at Glentress?’ is closed to new replies.