Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Concensus on bb's – ck worth it? Hope any good? stick with shimano?
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

Wondering if there is a consensus on most reliable bottom bracket for external bb. Thinking about King but not heard much about them from a long term reliability perspective. Same for Hope ceramic. Currently have Shimano but they only seem to last a season at most so wondering if something else would be better?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope no consensus.

Hope outlasting shimano here up to 2 years now compared to 1 year tops in shimano

doh
    Free Member

you can get XTR bb for less than 20bucks, even if it only lasts a year you can still get 3-4 for the price of a hope 5-6 for the price of CK.
    how much do you want nice coloured cups 🙂

i stick with shimano.

boxelder

3 yrs here from Hope stainless and 4 from Acros ceramic. Both have been in two frames.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best web price from google for XTR is 25 delivered
    Hope SS BB from CRC is 71
    As above 2 years of heavy riding in still feels like new.
    Cheaper than 3 XTR’s sticking with hope. Especially as the XTR comes with this marketing gem

Light weight seal structure helps to remove vital grams

and let sh#t is

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

xt/slx ones are £14 from .de sites, that’s 5:1 Hope. As it’s a 10min job, I’d rather change mine regularly and have a brand new super slick one every 10 months.
    Shimano

Mugboo

Hope because red is faster.

bigblackshed

Hope all the way. But I’m a sucker for pretty things. 4+ years for a Hope SS one one the commuter. Still silky smooth.

But the hope ones don’t work with Truvativ or GXP crank sets, even with the step down adaptor. The seal got mushed and killed the bearing on the first Hope one. But was replaced with out question by the Tech Shop.

ruscle
    Free Member

Been running Hope now for over 4 years, still like new.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’d go with hope as a company that actually tries to make something that works well here in the real world uk deserves sales. Shimano know it’s not up to the Job. But either don’t care or can’t do anything about it.
    Besides. Each swapped shimano bob goes into landfill you wasteful buggers!

creamegg
    Free Member

Hope for me as

I’d rather not change mine regularly and have a brand new super slick one every 10 months all the time.

Hope ceramic 3 years so far and still like new

Mugboo

My Hope one worked well with my GXP using the spacer and survived me removing the spacer too 🙂

Northwind

Very happy using Shimano here- I get around a year out of an XT BB, so considering I paid about 1/5th of the price of a Hope one for my last, that’d take an awfully long time before it could possibly break even (and in the meantime, the money’s in my bank account not theirs!)

spectabilis
    Free Member

I use Hope . But lets be honest its all about the bearings if you get a shimano and it wears out just replace the bearings with some decent ones that run directly on the axle, no silly tophat seal things and they’ll be as good as hope.

oxym0r0n

Slight hijack – anyone know if the Hope/CK ones are eaily fittable to Race Face cranks (Turbine)? Just thinking about when the current BB dies…

Northwind

If it’s an X-type Raceface then Hope (and Shimano) are totally compatible.

RustyMac

Yup as per Northwind I have RF Atlas cranks on my bikes one with a CK BB and one with a Hope BB. I did particularly well out of my first RF BB getting 2.5 almost 3 years but the second i got less than 6 months.

smiff
    Free Member

lets be honest its all about the bearings

true, a BB is in a sense just a bearing holder, but Hope’s cups do have a unique shape – no other AFAIK has that lip and seal type. i’m not sure how much of Hope’s longevity is down to that and how much is the stainless bearings.

it’s debatable which is better value between shimano from germany vs Hope, no real right answer.
    there are plenty of wrong answers though, like FSA, and spending full uk RRP on shimano, or expensive but crap “ceramic” ones with shit steel races.
    I still quite fancy a Pace with the grease gun attachment and stainless bearings fitted.. Hope does the job though.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Hope is the one to go for if you care about your ride, IMO

haggis1978

been running a hope ceramic for about 4 years across a few different bikes and mostly on a race face crank and its been superb the whole time

endurogangster
    Free Member

I have a pace one, been going 3 years and has a grease top up every 6 months or so, not in any danger of needing to be changed any time soon.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I currently run Hope but I’ve replaced the bearings on them twice now, so I wouldn’t say they were that good. Tempted by a CK unit as I run one on the commuter and I like the idea of re-greasing them myself with the injector tool.

Shimano are okay but I just don’t like throwing away the cups all the time.

matt_outandabout

Shimano seems to do a couple of years+ on mrs_oab’s bike; my Truvativ’s last about a year or so on mine.
    As above though, I can go through 4-5-6 cheap bb’s for the price of CK…

ransos
    Free Member

Ok, so you can change a cheap Shimano one easily enough, but if you’ve ever dragged your bike out for a ride, only to find that a) your bb is seized and b) you forgot to order a spare, you’ll buy a Hope.

ski
    Free Member

Flicked a coin in the shop between Hope and CK, glad it landed on Hope now two sets of Hope stainless, still going after 3 years, one set on my daily commuter that normally eats BB’s

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just regreased again one of my hope ones along with the pro 2 rear hub . Both full of muck. Not really that well sealed and yes, not using a jetwash , yadda yadda. BB is only a year old and has to be washed out , degreased, dried and redone every 3 months or so. Starting to feel rough on the drive side now, so may need to get some replacement bearings. Not what I expected. My CK is running sweet after 4 years. Regreased once a year or so and leave alone.

Northwind

ransos – Member

Ok, so you can change a cheap Shimano one easily enough, but if you’ve ever dragged your bike out for a ride, only to find that a) your bb is seized and b) you forgot to order a spare, you’ll buy a Hope.

TBH if you have that little mechanical sympathy, no amount of buying expensive parts will keep your bikes running. BBs don’t just seize overnight.

weeksy

Northwind – Member

ransos – Member

TBH if you have that little mechanical sympathy, no amount of buying expensive parts will keep your bikes running. BBs don’t just seize overnight.

Mine seemed to. Went from smooth as silk to impossible to turn after 1 night. Although i do keep my bike in a ‘tent’.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

A well timed thread. Just had my latest XT BB die on me, lasted about a year which seems to be about average for me.

I’ve just (today) taken delivery of a Token one, from wiggle for <£20. It has axle on bearing fitting (ie no top hats), what it calls labyrinth seals and comes in very funky red. Thought I’d give it a go, and will report back when it dies. If it does any more than a year its a bonus.

I’ve not tried a Hope, but do have a CK one on my other bike that seems to be lasting much much longer than the XT’s do. No sign of any wear 2 years in, with zero maintenance.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Concensus on bb's – ck worth it? Hope any good? stick with shimano?’ is closed to new replies.