Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Commencal Meta AM1 29er
  • glen815
    Free Member

I’m considering buying the subject bike as my first 29er. Any comments would be appreciated. I’m a heavy rider 110kg in riding gear and ride about 300 Km per week mainly XC but with some more technically demanding stuff occasionally.
    Regards.

glen815
    Free Member

Ed-O – read his review which is why the Meta made it to the top of my short list. VMT

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cheers Ed. Glen, if I can answer anything my review didn’t then just let me know. FWIW, I’d have another one in a second but I’d want better wheels on it. My 29’er advice is buy the best wheels you can afford, and by best I don’t mean lightest!

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ll struggle to get it anywhere near 30lb with meaningful kit.It ain’t dainty!

glen815
    Free Member

Doug – many thanks for the review. What wheels would you recommend. I plan to build my own so hub/rim choice is open.
    Rorschach – neither am I. 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

Glen, I’ve tried a few wheels. The SRAM carbon ones were good so if I could afford it I’d probably try a set of enve carbon rims. Realistically though the flows on proII would probably be my choice. I want to try a few more 29er wheels this year.

glen815
    Free Member

Thanks Doug . Happy New Year.

WBC

Can any owners give an idea of sizing on the AM 29er please? Quite (well, very) tempted by one of these from the Commencal website. I’m 5ft 11 (182cm )so always seem to be on the borderline between M and L. The Commencal sizing guide suggests a L. Unfortunately getting to try one in the flesh is difficult- hence my query!

glen815
    Free Member

WBC. Not collected mine yet as I’m out of the country so I can’t help I’m afraid. Try the Commencal Owners Club.

Kuco

I’ve seen Oneplanet Adventure at llandelga have got a demo 29er. Thinking of demoing a 26″ am.

doug_basqueMTB.com

WBC, I´m about 5´10″ and I was definitely a medium. I wouldn´t have like the large at all.

WBC

Many thanks Glen and Doug.

Doug- your review (the most useful I could find anywhere) could well cost me a few quid!

Been comparing the frame measurements with past bikes I’ve owned and it looks like medium would be most similar. I owned a Meta 55 in the past and that was a medium, although I wouldn’t have wanted it to be any smaller.

I might have to pull my finger out and travel to demo one…

hoojum
    Free Member

Glen, I demo’d a large and I’m 6.3″. I thought it rode a little heavy & slow and thought the colour a little shouty.

I opted for a spesh stumpty Carbon comp instead. IMO, it’s way better all rounder and climbed far better. The Stumpy’s 29 pounds and could go much lighter with some shrewed component specing.

glen815
    Free Member

Hoojum – thanks for the advice but already ordered the Meta in White as I didn’t much care for the loud yellow either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta AM1 29er’ is closed to new replies.