Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Commencal meta am v4, any good?
  • samcamsdad

Looking around for a new bike and was wondering what people’s thoughts were on these. Has any one bought one, and got some experience riding one?
    Not keen on buying without a demo, but at that price it’s really hard to ignore!

jf2115
    Free Member

I have not got one, but they look great.

I am looking at the SL on sale: 26er only which suits me fine. 120mm rather than 150mm. Saw one in the flesh at Rostrevor and it was beautiful and burly.

Good luck!

ononeorange

Interested to see anyone’s views as well. It’s the demo thing, isn’t it?

samcamsdad

Yep, even though there great value, it’s still a lot of money without a demo.

samcamsdad

Any one else got any info?

blairc70
    Free Member

I’ve had one for a few weeks now. Custom build from frame. Goes up and down better than the V3. Monarch plus debonair rear is excellent. Only ridden local natural stuff so far but impressed. Total bike with X01 in a medium is 13kgs. I already had a lot of parts or would have bought the race spec, seems good value. Hope that helps.

Rickos
    Free Member

I have one. Race version in medium. Great bike, but what specifically do you want to know?

samcamsdad

I’m looking at the essential model, and just kind of need reassurance that it’s not going to be a dog, and will handle the lakes rocky trails without any trouble.
    Is the own brand kit any good?

blairc70
    Free Member

Definitely not a dog more like a fox, spec looks good for money, fit a dropper and your sorted. Not seen any of the alpha / own brand kit, but you can always change those bits in time or when cash allows. I ride mainly Yorks / Lancs and occasionally Wales , loads of rocky descents etc. Plenty of bike for everything I’ve thrown at it.

tymbian
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking you can get the 2015 v4 Meta AM 650b for £1600?

samcamsdad

Yep there great value!

Rickos
    Free Member

Alpha own brand stuff seems pretty good. The wheels are Novatech. The stem is 60mm so I may swap that for a 50mm one that I have, but the bars are a nice width and sweep. I’m really loving it and I think it would suit the lakes very well. I tried a large and that was incredibly stable to the point of the bike needing the more gnarr trails to make sense. My medium fits me better and is a good compromise stability wise – it still feels up for some fun on the tamer trails. Most of my riding is local off piste stuff, muddy, rooty, etc.

With the Euro exchange rate at the moment they’re a bargain.

samcamsdad

Thanks for the feedback, think I’m going to have get one, can’t see any negatives really.

Rickos
    Free Member

Some oddities for you balance it up…

The inboard rear brake calliper means the chainstays are wide, so if you ride heels in you’ll rub the stays. I ride quite straight footed and I don’t get this but I know of someone else that does.

The paint is thin. Helitape it up if that bothers you.

The downtube fingernail flick test makes it sound like a thin bit of tube, so I’ve put some rubber mastic tape on the downtube for ding protection.

There’s quite a hole where the internal cables exit which could fill with mud. I’ve put some aquarium filter foam (same as moto foam) in the hole to keep the muck out. Cables look as though they could rub hard on the exit point and the chainstay bridge, so again I’ve used rubber mastic tape to stop cables sawing through the metal.

Other than that it’s a fantastic ride and I’m loving mine.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/rick2/16232193618/]DSC_0223[/url] by Rick T., on Flickr

samcamsdad

Cheers rickos, that’s great to know, heals could be a problem, but I’ll tape up where I need to.
    The amount of rocks we have here, I’ll defo be protecting the downtube.

alpineharry
    Free Member

How’re they for sizing? I’m 5ft10 but only 19 so will probably grow a bit more. Stuck between a medium or a large. I also have quite an aggressive riding style as a result of riding downhill bikes for the past few years so hoping it’ll handle everything.

I’m stuck between a V4 and a V3, persuade me..

Rickos
    Free Member

V4 has quite a different suspension curve to the V3. From memory of checking out a website by a Spanish(?) bloke that I can’t find again, the v3 had a much more regressive rate.

Anyway, if you think you’ll grow a bit more then a large might be ok. Also, with your more aggro style you might benefit from the extra stability of a large. So, err, a large? I’m 5′ 10″ and ride a medium and enjoy it immensely!

matther01
    Free Member

If I was you I’d look at the new YT Capra 2015 range. You can pick one up with much better kit than the V4 for less than £2k with the current exchange rate…but you’d have to wait until May. My finger has been hovering over the buy button all day!

samcamsdad

Looked at the yt, but I’m getting the commencal on finance, (through a shop, not direct)as I haven’t got 2 grand spare at the moment.
    Still really happy with the spec per £ on the meta though.
    Another question rickos, (sorry ) how’s the tyre clearance on the back? Might want to put a 2.4 high roller 2 in there at some point.

deviant
    Free Member

I’m a fan of both the Capra and the V4 but the Commencal is the looker of the pair.

Rickos
    Free Member

Running 2.35 Shortys and clearance is fine. Can take a photo if you want.

samcamsdad

Thanks rickos, that’s ok don’t want to put you out, pressed go on one as my current frame has just sold, so it’s coming anyway! 🙂

barffy
    Free Member

I’ve not had enough time on it to post my review yet, but so far so good. 350CR’s seem really good, if a bit sticky at the moment at the start of the travel but they look very well made. More supportive than my Pikes anyway.

I’ve experienced that big hole in the downtube clogging with mud and I’ve only done a few miles so far. I helitaped before going out and it looks like i will need to do a fair bit more. I’ve always had Raw bikes though and i’m used to being ham fisted because I’ve not had paint to scratch. I’m sure in a few weeks I’ll stop worrying, realise it’s a mountain bike and enjoy it much more.

I had some really good parts on my old bike which I’ve swapped over such as the Hope brakes and Renthal bits and bobs. I’ll also be swapping over my reverb If I can make it fit (normal reverb and frame only has internal routing, the shock remote hole seems to be the only real way of doing it) and I also have a Fox Factory series shock that will fit.

alpineharry
    Free Member

What size is that above?

deviant
    Free Member

Barfly, you wouldn’t mind doing a longer review on that fork when you’ve ridden it some more would you?…looking for a 160mm fork and want to buy something other than a Pike, I can’t decide between an X-Fusion Sweep or the Marzocchi 350cr, cheers.

barffy
    Free Member

Frame is a 16″.

I will post a review up of the fork once I’ve got to grips with it and have bedded it in. I’m doing a ride of the Wrekin and Ercall woods at the weekend. If you haven’t been, it’s about as big of a test you can make in terms of climbing on a fork. Coming down is obviously just as steep so it will highlight how supportive it is under braking and on steep terrain. I had a pike on my Nukeproof, loved it but they are all too common nowadays. I like something a bit different, and the 2015 350CR certainly beats it in terms of looks and quality of machining.

Scamper
    Free Member

Jesus, the last thing id fancy is trying to get my V3 up the Wrekin

barffy
    Free Member

Yup heard the V3 isn’t a great climber but a belter downhill. The V4 is quite a bit lighter and is meant to be a better all rounder but not as stiff as it’s predecessor. I’ll either be surprised at how well it climbs or die I guess! It’s also the first time 1×10 up the Wrekin. Been running 1×10 since October, just after the last time I went up there.

alpineharry
    Free Member

How does the V4 handle going down? through rough stuff and steep stuff? i imagine it wont take much getting used to but i’m not a smooth rider… You should see the rear rim on my DH bike!

barffy
    Free Member

I’ll post a ‘my two cents’ after I’ve done the Wrekin on Sunday.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’d join you on my 3×9 23lb xc bike, but suspect I’ll be a tad hung over! yes, My v3 frames set is 8.1lbs and looks a little burlier than the v4 but took me ages to get the Lyrik and shock set up right.

riklegge

Barffy,how did you get on? Any thoughts on the fork too?

barffy
    Free Member

It took some getting used to the bigger wheels, but it went well. The bike climbs really well for a 150mm travel bike, better than my Mega did and that wasn’t bad either. I really struggled with confidence on the very steep and icy downs the Wrekin has to offer, but i don’t think that was down to the bike, more the fact I was struggling to stand on the gradient let alone entertain the idea of riding down it. When I got to the jump/Freeride area I was full of confidence and I was doing things I couldn’t find the speed to do on my Nukeproof on the last visit. The bike picks up speed fast and feels stable over the rough stuff. The forks felt sticky at first but have started to bed in nicely. Small bump sensitivity is inferior to the Pike RCT3, and I can’t see it improving to be on par with them once fully bed in. On the plus side, what you lose on the small stuff you gain on the larger/repeated hits. The forks stay higher in their travel and don’t seem to pack down under braking. I really wouldn’t hesitate to buy a pair if I were doing another build, even at this early stage.

samcamsdad

Well its finally arrived, i hope it is good. here’s the build progress so far.

Just waiting for a brake mount for the rear, and I’ve been sent the wrong dropper post, so putting my old thompson post in for now.

hora
    Free Member

Fantastic. How tall are you? The 650b makes the seat tube look shorter than it is! What size shock does it take?

samcamsdad

Shock size is 200 x 57.
    I’m 5’9″ and it’s a medium frame. I was surprised how short the seat tube was, now thinking I may need a longer seat post. I’ll hopefully find out today if the shim I need arrives in the post.

hora
    Free Member

Think I might need a large..

samcamsdad

Still no seat post, but when I get one I’ll post a picture of it fully built, and you might be able to tell what size you’ll need a little better.

benmarshall
    Free Member

I’ve got me one of these and lots of parts sat in the spare room ready for building up! Just the wheels to arrive now 🙂

samcamsdad, did the headtube need any prep or could you just press the headset cups straight in? Any peculiarities you’ve encountered building yours up?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Commencal meta am v4, any good?’ is closed to new replies.