• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • commencal frames
  • gonzy
    Free Member

hi STWers….i could do with a bit of advice on a couple of frames i’m considering getting

currently looking at a 2010 commencal furious and a 2009 commencal supreme

has anyone ever owned one of these and can give me some insight into how they are? anything to look out for? any problems issues such as frames cracking etc that i should be aware of?

thanks in advance.

honourablegeorge

Might be where you’re already looking, but there are some very cheap ones on the Commencal Outlet store.

weeksy

That model set is all very very crackproof, it was only the Meta/Super4 range really.

Mate has a Furious and it’s built very well.

I’ve had a meta, super4 and now a MetaAM29

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Crack proof – youre ‘avin a laff!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Had a supreme 6 for a while. Excellent DH bike. I’d happily recommend it or it’s bigger brothers.

iain1775
    Free Member

No wysiwyg he isn’t,,supremes and furious didn’t crack
    Although a few of that age Furious’s had odd issues with poor alignment of the shock mount

gonzy
    Free Member

Crack proof – youre ‘avin a laff!

wysiwyg – i think i recall seeing a post where you mentioned that you were aware of frame cracking issues (a la lapierre) on the 08/09 supremes models…can you shed any more light on this?

rocketman
    Free Member

it was only the Meta/Super4 range really

And the Ramones range

The op’s Furious & Supreme frames have exactly the same kind of seat/top tube junction as my old Ramones whereas the newer frames have exactly the same kind of modified seat/top tube junction as my new Ramones

Just saying like

gonzy
    Free Member

rocketman – does that mean they could potentially develop a crack/failure at that position?

rottwieler
    Free Member

i Have a brand new furrious frame if you want but it has no shock

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve had a 08 Meta 5.5.2 XT since 09.
    Been up and down Snowdon, Helvellyn, Antur Stiniog, Peaks, Lakes, usual trail centres and locally.
    It will be accompanying me to the Alps next summer too.
    No cracks and it’s ridden pretty hard and I’m a big lad 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

supremes and furious didn’t crack

Nope, no Supreme’s cracked. Ever*

*Much.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Quite a few friends had the Furious and pretty much all of them decided that for jumping they were really good but couldn’t touch the Supreme (and Mini DH) for actual DH performance as they “rode a bit weird”.
    Ime say pick the Supreme (the FR or DH version) over the Furious as the only person that seemed to like it was Cedric Gracia (who had a lot of input in the design) all the other sponsored riders seemed to avoid it.

My bro’s 2007 Supreme is still going strong and pedals well for a 40lb bike (nota light build)

Tom KP

gonzy
    Free Member

my other (pricier) option is to go for an Intense slopestyle so any advice/feedback in a similar way would be appreciated

wysiwyg
    Free Member

All my 2010/9 supreme frames cracked around the top tube seat tube weld. I say all. They gave up replacing them once the first ones warranty was up. After that I broke two linkages on cracked frames.

Barge pole touch

rocketman
    Free Member

does that mean they could potentially develop a crack/failure at that position?

as above

Personally I would not buy any Commencal from that period

hora
    Free Member

I was looking at the Meta AM and Meta Hip Hop recently (CRC doing good prices). They are FOOKIN heavy 😯 amazed because my Santa Cruz Butcher is a good 1.5lb lighter.

The last/later Meta 5.5’s that didnt crack were built too heavy to be fun.

Kuco

I’ve got a Meta SL and don’t have any issue with the frame weight. Ride it at welsh trail centres and also did a 10k climb in Spain on it and had no issues.

iain1775
    Free Member

Really hora
    You must have been riding it wrong 😉

The Ramones wasn’t released in 2009, it came out in 2010 a good while after the issues with quality where addressed by moving factory

weeksy

I’ve done 60 mile days on my metaAM.

Heavy it is, fun too though.

I think I’ve done 2000 miles on it this year

mildred

Here’s my old Supreme,which was absolutely phenomenal:

easily had the best grip of any DH bike I’ve had.

mildred

And here’s my old Meta which I didn’t really get on with (I bought the wrong size – the suspension was impeccable):

weeksy

honourablegeorge

Where’s the picture in the middle from weaksy?

mildred

The last/later Meta 5.5’s that didnt crack were built too heavy to be fun.

Not so sure about that. The blue one above was the last Meta 55 and in that guise it weighed under 30lb (granted, not by a lot).

weeksy

honourablegeorge – Member

Where’s the picture in the middle from weaksy?

Swinley Jump Gully.

gonzy
    Free Member

thats a horrible front mudguard you got there Weeksy!! 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘commencal frames’ is closed to new replies.