• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Commencal & cracking frames – which was the dodgy year?
  • Brentstyle
    Free Member

Buenas! I'm thinking of getting a Commencal mini dh for rough stuff and my alps trip. Reason being I tried a friends Meta5 and very felt comfortable on it. However, he told me not to get a 2009 model as they tended to snap, crackle or pop! Any idea if this is true? Which was the dodgy year as he says the 2010 model is ok? Was the mini dh 2009 overly prone to failure?

If you work for Commencal or sell them please state this in a reply.

Ta.

DezB
    Free Member

I only know a bloke who broke Meta5s. He had 2008/9 models IIRC.
    Never heard of the other models cracking.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Have a search on Southern downhill forum there were numerous threads on broken & bent frames and a couple on frames that had simply not been welded straight from the factory.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

2008/09 were the dodgy years, i had both.

I now have a 2010 mini dh and it is vastly improved as is all the other models, no fear of them cracking anymore.

Seb_C
    Free Member

2009 was probably a low point – hardly any Super 4s survived if you believd the stories.

Plenty of 2010 stuff about at bargain prices though.

2009 was the biggest problematic year. I was over visiting Commencal in Chatel at the weekend looking at the new 2011 which is about to come out. You'll find some good deals on 2010 at the moment as the 2011 stock will start to come though to dealers with some models possibly by the end of July.

For the whole world wide market (over 10,000 units) there have been around 3 or 4 warranty claims on frames for 2010 bikes which is amazing really! 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

09 Meta 5/6's tended to crack at seat tube / top tube weld
    08/09 Meta 5/6's also cracked around shock mountings
    09 Super 4's have suffered cracked chainstays

Not heard of that many problems on the Mini DH's
    (some Furious's seem to have had bad alignment and issues with piggy back shocks hitting the frame)

2010 stuff seems much better, far superior build quality from what Ive seen (I have an 08 Meta and an 09 Titanium Commie HT and a large bunch of us over at the commie owners club ride together so Ive seen and heard many stories and experiences of cracks and replacements)

2009 models that break now being replaced by 2010 frames generally
    Warranty procedure through Madison now seems much smoother (send photos of cracked frame, serial number etc, no need to ssend of damaged frame for inspection) turnaround can be low as couple of weeks but some shops (mainly larger chains) still seem to be messing people around and insisting on returning the frames and delaying things

Plenty of info and threads with peoples experiences on http://www.commencalownersclub.com
    post up there and you will get no end of advise from other owners

You might like to wait for the new 2011 Supreme 8 though – due in country later this year, looks mint

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

2009 Meta 5 was the problem child and I think breakages were disproportionately effecting the L & XL sized frames too. The upper shock mount was attached to the top tube on the S & M sizes and they didn't seem to suffer the same.
    I broke a 2009 Large. Crack propogated rearwards accross the seat tube from the weld where the top tube begins.
    Replacement was a 2010 frame, which is noticably thicker in the seat tube, with the walls now being tapered down to the seat clamp (previously plain gauge). The profile of the top tube has also been deepened to provide a larger weld area.
    A totally different build quality. I think they learned their lesson.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

singletrackbikes is correct 2009 was the low point, 2010 onwards has been fine.

br
    Free Member

My riding buddy had one of the first Meta 5's (not sure year), but that broke the linkages first, and then cracked at the top tube / head tube junction.

1/2 price 'crash' replacement with a 2010 frame.

Brentstyle
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks everyone. Sounds like a 2010 mini dh will be ok.

I am pretty amazed that companies are still struggling with welds on whole lines of their aluminium frames! It's not like aluminium is a new material where tolerances are unproven. Anyway, i'm glad i checked it wasn't just one blokes dodgy hearsay!!

FOG

My '09 Super 4 cracked across the seat tube roughly level with the main cross tube but the chain stays seemed ok. I got a realy rapid response from bike shop and importer and soon received a 2010 frame [in violent neon red instead of tasteful black] The seat tube seems taller and the main tube seems beefier and I am convinced the whole thing weighs slightly more than the original so perhaps the message has got across.
    The colour change is annoying though 'cos I always buy black bikes so that the Home office doesn't spot when I have changed a bike. New strategy required!

BigBob
    Free Member

My meta old version has broken on the linkage plates.

Has anyone got a set of these off a broken frame which they would be willing to part with?

slowrider
    Free Member

brentstyle, give free flow bikes a ring, they sorted me out with an amazing price on a 2010 supreme

Brentstyle
    Free Member

Thanks Slowrider

juan
    Free Member

Crap… I haven't broken my 2009 yet 🙁
    What am I doing wrong 🙁
    Not enough jumps 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Commencal & cracking frames – which was the dodgy year?’ is closed to new replies.