Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Command post fettling fail
  • thepurist

So today I have discovered that the geniuses at spesh designed the original command post so that if you accidentally push the main collar too far down while cleaning it, the seal inside it drops into the groove left behind by removing the bushing to clean that. Then once it’s in there, it seems the only way to get it out is to pay for a full service from spesh. Harrumph!

So if anyone else had done this, how did you sort it out, or alternatively what cheapish newish dropper post could replace it?

austy
    Free Member

Happened to me too.

Bought new seal head and install tool and very very carefully cut the old seal head off.

thepurist

Glad I’m not alone! Did you get the bits from spesh direct or are there other sources? And was it just a steady hand on the dremel to get the old one off?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    austy
    Free Member

Got my bits through lbs about 25 quid. Didn’t use a dremel used a junior hacksaw with tape or old clothes around during it. From what I remember don’t have to go too deep as if the main depth is the seals.

I need to replace the main collet as a few fingers have snapped off but spesh won’t sell it so I’ve got to send mine back now for fora service.

dai21t
    Free Member

They do sell the collets. Won’t sell direct to you but your specialized dealer will be able to order it for you. I had one a couple of months ago.

austy
    Free Member

Went in my lbs and asked them to order one and replied saying couldn’t get one and had to send the post back for a full service.

Might have to look for a different spesh dealer.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I had this happen to me too – don’t remember how I did it, but I did manage to get the seal head back up onto the shaft without damaging the seal so it is definitely possible to recover without having to cut it off and replace.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Command post fettling fail’ is closed to new replies.