Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • COME ON YOU BLUE AND WHITE WIZARDS
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

jimmy

whats the deal with them today? playing to stay up…?

matthew_h
    Free Member

They have to beat Palace to stay up. Unfortunately seems a little unlikely imo.

jimmy

surely chris waddle can work his magic.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Arses, is there a match on today? That's the parking at our end buggered up.

RustySpanner

There is definitely room for two football clubs in Sheffield.

The mighty Blades and Hallam Football Club 🙂

However, in my darkest moments I'm willing to concede that it may be a good thing for northern football if the pigs you lot stay up, so will be wishing you well this lunchtime.
    'course, it would be different if Warnock was still at Palace……

alex222
    Free Member

Who cares…. I live in hillsborough and I hope some one blows up leppings lane with all the dumb a **** football fans in it. It is the lowest common denominator and I think some form of eugenics should be exercised on all football enjoying ****ts.

RustySpanner

alex222, perhaps we can extend the same charming courtesy to those who cannot spell or use capital letters in the correct manner?

By the way, you should be at the match, supporting your local team.
    Ask your dad to take you next season, there is a significant discount for children.

alex222
    Free Member

maybe. perhaps we should also kill forum pedants 😀

RustySpanner

Maybe. Perhaps we should also kill forum pedants? 😀

Fixed it! 😀

If you have a birthday coming up, try asking for one of these:

alex222
    Free Member

it is a forum. i am now purposely not using capital letters becouse i enjoy watching numpties get on a high about grammer when really there are more imprtant things to worry about like; oh i don't know wednesday going down. looser.

RustySpanner

dussn't bovver me in va slightest. 😀

You on the other hand, contributed to a football related thread just to say how much you hated football and it's supporters.
    You used naughty words and generalised about a whole sector of society about whom you obviously know very little. Bad Alex!

I was quite enjoying our little educational chat, but you've spoilt it now. 🙁
    Never mind, children today have a very short attention span, don't they? 😉

Anyway, good luck Wednesday!

fatboyslo
    Free Member

OOpps…..

Looks like it'll be another season where we don't get to play you lot 😉 ( hopefully )

MOT

roper
    Free Member

As a blades fan I hoped you could do it, and towards the end it looked like you might. Tough luck and I hope you go up next season.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Unlucky Wednesday. The only honorable club in Sheffield gets relegated.

john_drummer
    Free Member

fbs – ssssshhhh! there's still time for us to shoot ourselves in the foot 😯

bad luck Wednesday, good luck for next season

MOT

scott_mcavennie2 – Member
    Unlucky Wednesday. The only honorable club in Sheffield gets relegated.

Yeah, attacking the oppositions Captain at the end of the game seems like an honourable gesture.

Most exciting game of the season for me – proper edge of the seat stuff. Our season has been a dollop of dog dirt, but today has made it a whole lot brighter.

Up The Blades

**** The Owls

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I live on Leppings Lane and the site of all those dirty pigs crying and moaning made my week.

Up The Millers!

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

toytown supporter mocking their better cousins – how dare you? No stadium, no fans, scrub hole – rotherham is just a small town in sheffield!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

As a Palace fan can I just say Bloody Hell, what a game!!! I was geniunely nervous for a vast majority of what I think was one of the best and most open attacking game I have seen for a while, that said I am soo relieved to get the draw, however I nearly threw my tv out the window when Stern John missed what should of been a golden opportunity to make it 2-3, oh why, oh why, oh why didn't he just play that ball square, Sorry about the result mate, but from my point of view I'm happy with it.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Sheffield is the crucible of football,

boasting the world's oldest clubs, Sheffield FC and Hallam FC formed in 1857 and 1860 respectively. On Wednesday 4th September 1867 the Wednesday Cricket Club formed a football branch to keep members together during the winter season. The cricket team played on Wednesday afternoons when members, made up of craftsmen shopkeepers and clerks, had a half day off work. The new club was officially named The Wednesday Cricket & Football Club. Although they were frequently referred to as Sheffield Wednesday, the club did not formally adopt this title until 1929.

In their first ever game, The Wednesday defeated the Mechanics Club by three goals and four "rouges" to nil. Under "Sheffield Rules", the goal posts were four yards apart and a second pair of vertical posts stood four yards to either side. If the ball passed between these outer posts and was touched down by the attacking side, a rouge was scored: if teams finished level on goals, the one with the most rouges was the winner. The club's colours were royal blue and white although this was before the introduction of uniform kits. Players wore whatever they had to hand adorned by royal blue caps, scarves or sashes. The club has retained these colours thoughout its long history.

By 1883 the club was one of the strongest in the country and the footballers split from the cricket club arguing that they earned all the money while the cricketers merely spent it. In 1886 the club secretary forgot to submit Wednesday's application to the English FA Cup in time and several leading players defected to a local works side, Lockwood Brothers FC in order to play in the competition. They then threatened to form a breakaway professional club, Sheffield Rovers, but after protracted negotiations they were persuaded to return to The Wednesday in return for payment of 5 shillings (25p) per home game and 7/6d (37.5p) for an away game. On 22 April 1887, The Wednesday formally became a professional team.

Wednesday were overlooked when the Football League was founded in 1888 so the club president formed the rival Football Alliance in 1889, winning the championship at the first attempt. In 1892 the Alliance was incorporated into the Football League as Division Two and in the process The Wednesday were elected to play in Division One. After two consecutive semi-final appearances The Wednesday won the FA Cup in 1896. After a single season in Division Two (1898-99) the club were First Division champions in 1903 and 1904 and won the FA Cup again in 1907.

In 1920 the club were again relegated but returned as Division Two champions in 1926 and went on to win consecutive Division One titles for the second time (1929 and 1930). Around 1929 the club formally adopted the title of "Sheffield Wednesday." In 1935 they won the FA Cup for the third time but only two years later, they were back in Division Two.

In the final year of wartime competition (1945-46), Wednesday were unable to obtain their traditional vertical blue and white shirts so played in hooped jerseys instead, a style they had previously worn in the reign of Queen Victoria.

During the 1950s, the "Owls" (the club's home is in the Owlerton district of Sheffield) were promoted and relegated between the top two divisions with bewildering frequency while the 1960s were spent in the First Division and included an FA Cup final appearance in 1966. This period saw the only departure from Wednesday's traditional stripes when a smart blue shirt with white sleeves was adopted. In 1970 Wednesday were relegated and in 1975 they dropped into the Third Division for the first time. In 1980 they were promoted back to Division Two and only four years later the club was back in the First Division. Apart from one season in Division Two (1990-91), Wednesday became firmly established at the top for the next twenty years until 2000 when they began another downward cycle that brought them to the depths of Nationwide Division Two (the old Third Division) in 2003.

There is little doubt that a club of such pedigree will return to the top level, the only question is how long it will take.

Superstitious supporters favour a blue central stripe on the players' shirts, regarding white central stripes as unlucky.

Never been a great fan of football, but this post made me think again!

SB

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

alex222 – Member
    Who cares…. I live in hillsborough and I hope some one blows up leppings lane with all the dumb a **** football fans in it. It is the lowest common denominator and I think some form of eugenics should be exercised on all football enjoying ****ts.
    POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

someone give this muppet a lifetime forum ban now please.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh, and hard luck SWFC – hope we won't be playing you next season though…

john_drummer
    Free Member

if we beat Bristol Rovers next weekend we'll be playing the other team in Sheffield next season. Would be nice to get one over KB too

As I briefly worked in Hillsborough, I have a soft spot for Wendies, so provided we don't commit hari-kiri at ER, and have to play them next season, good luck to the Owls

MOT

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Rotherham have the chance of promotion to the same league as you "SLEEPING GIANTS", with no debt's, a chairman with cash and a brain and a new ground on it's way.

You will languish in League 1, go into administration and lose 10 points for that idiot trying to punch the Palace player.

Great future for the biggest team in Sheffield.

Bad times ahead but things looking brighter for a small team in Rotherham.

As a Blade I wish the Millers all the best – I have no beef with Doncaster either (I wish we could have their manager and our top on loan scorer back).

Pigs, Dingles and the Scum can go and rot for me though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Dingles = Barnsley; Pigs = Wendies? need I ask who "the Scum" are?

No, you shouldn't need to ask.

It could only really be one team – dirty L**ds.

warton
    Free Member

I'm with mastiles_fanylion on this. Give him a lifetime ban, too many people lost their lives in the leppings lane end for this to be a 'joke'

prick

john_drummer
    Free Member

to "TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR " – thought as much 😈

did any goalkeeper ever make a good manager? Except maybe Dino Zoff?

hope to see you next season and let the best team win

MOT

agree about the lifetime ban for alex BTW. Inciting religious hatred is a criminal offence, don't you know

eldridge
    Free Member

I hate football (check my posts on here!) but I channel surfed to the closing minutes and I was gripped. Forget the sport, it was great drama.

Sadly, my long-term views about the game were reinforced by the pitch invasions and general misbehaviour afterwards

john_drummer
    Free Member

anyway

all done & dusted in the Championship & lower leagues; all still to play for in the PrimaDonna league & Leagues 1 & 2.

Going to be an exciting, if not nerve-wracking, weekend coming up

May the best teams (except ManU) win 😉

Dunno, but our current encumbent would suggest not.

Expect to see us struggle next season. We can't even name a full squad with players we actually own, will definitely sell a minimum of two of our best players (I use the word 'best' loosely) and apparently don't have a pot to piss in. Well managed club? We blew our chance and it's going to be a struggle for a few seasons at least – unless we fluke something, but that's not the Blades way – no luck, and blood sweat and tears are the order of the day.

john_drummer
    Free Member

have to admit, Kevin Blackwell did a reasonable job in his first season at ER, but I think "tactics" passed him by.

I went to the playoff s/f against Preston a few years back at ER and they were lumping the ball upfield. To David Healy, all 5ft9 of him…

OK if Deano was still playing, but to a 5ft9 striker? Preston kept him in their pockets. thankfully a Beckam-esque free kick from Eddie Lewis kept us in the tie, followed by a win at Deepdale

and then we got to the final, and did what we have done in every meaningful final since 1972, and failed to turn up…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘COME ON YOU BLUE AND WHITE WIZARDS’ is closed to new replies.