Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Collision with a car – what do you do?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

So scenario, Riding along through Hope at about 10-12mph at most on my rd bike. A woman in a car pulls out from the parking spaces on the left o/s spar/18 bikes just as a bloke pulls out also from behind the car in front of her.

She jams her brakes on, i try in vain to stop and hit her car. Dint from my STI in her boot. She says “he pulled out so i stopped, not a clue what that noise was” – it was me hitting her. She patently pulled out and didn’t see me coming 🙁

She now wants me to pay for the repair to her car.

Do I report this to the Police? Home insurance (don’t know why i would??)?

Houns

Me personally? I will demand a refund as she shouldve done a better job

😛

carlosg
    Free Member

Driver pulled out without looking properly , they’re fault . If they start getting funny you could develop whiplash 😀

Rochey
    Free Member

Are you a member of the BCF??

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Do i report to anyone and how to i prove she wasn’t looking?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Rockey – british cycling? Yes

Ladders
    Free Member

If your a member of BC get them on to it. She will prob think twice about pulling out on a cyclist again, and think even more before trying to get money off a cyclist she has pulled out in front of again!

Kuco

Your covered through BCF then.

INCIDENT HELPLINE
    If you have been involved in an incident whilst riding or wheeling your bike please call the Incident Helpline
    T: 0161 274 2015 e: incident@britishcycling.org.uk

Rochey
    Free Member

Great, call them on Monday and ask for there advice, anyway we pay for the advice, do you have Gold or Silver??

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, her fault, call BC, tell her you’ve passed the details to your insurance company. Are your STIs ok?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

silver

rob-jackson
    Free Member

sti is bent 🙁

Rochey
    Free Member

Deal done, call them and ask,

crazy-legs

As others have said, incident helpline at British Cycling. 0161 274 2015, open from 9am on Monday.
    Without knowing the exact specifics of the incident and without wishing to cast aspersions in any way…

You claim she’s responsible as she pulled out without looking.
    Her insurance will probably try claiming that you’re responsible for “not leaving enough space in case someone stepped off the kerb/pulled out/did other daft move”

As I say, I’m not casting blame, simply saying that’s the argument which she and her insurance will try and pull. Just so you can prepare yourself for it.

In the meantime (assuming you’ve exchanged details), don’t get involved in any debate with her. No real point reporting it to the Police unless she was drunk/on the phone or she left the scene of the accident without stopping (which is obvious from your OP that she didn’t).

trail_rat
    Free Member

She was parked

You were moving along the carridge way

She pulled into your path

How ever you have an issue as you hit the rear of the car and not the side. Indicating her manuver was complete.

I see 50/50 at best

grunty
    Free Member

No point phoning the police unless you are “injured”. You have 24hrs to report. Did she give you her details, address etc? If not you can also as she has failed to give details.

globalti
    Free Member

I think you’re on dodgy ground here – you ran into the back of her; Highway Code would say your fault as you should have anticipated.

I think….

rob-jackson
    Free Member

She pulled out without indicating and stopped dead – not a chance to stop. I assume i was in her blind spot when she checked

argoose
    Free Member

She joined carriageway causing other road users to chnge coarse or speed, manoeuvre not complete, her fault.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Assuming that what you are saying is accurate then she is completely at fault. It matters not that you hit the back of her, just like it would not matter if you were driving along the motoryway and some eejit took off from the hard shoulder into lane 1 and you ran into the back of them.

faz083
    Free Member

Silly question but what details did you give her? You’re a cyclist, she has no way of knowing who you are? Just leave it?

jonba
    Free Member

Her fault but not sure about the legal side.

rootes1

collison with a motor vehicle – report to police.

crazy-legs

Silly question but what details did you give her? You’re a cyclist, she has no way of knowing who you are? Just leave it?

True but, if traced, you’re the one then at fault for leaving the scene of an accident.
    Besides, suppose the OP found out later that the impact not only bent the STI but also the bars or the frame and instead of being £ out of pocket, he’s now £££££ out.

Hypothetical, I know.

Let’s assume you do leave the scene of an accident where there’s little/minimal damage but the other party wants to pursue it. Hardly difficult for her to call in the police and claim all sorts (assault, threats, carrying a knife, whatever) and give a description. From Hope there really aren’t that many ways you can go, you’d be caught in a few minutes and then it would be difficult to explain your way out of it.

nickname
    Free Member

I had an incident last year where I went into the back of a car – was my fault. I gave the driver my details, but he never got back to me. He probably had about £200 worth of damage on the rear of his car, so maybe his insurance sorted it (even though I had no insurance on my side).

I did however end up with a broken wrist ‘n broken frame. :\

In your case it sounds more like the driver was at fault, although they can always say you were following too closely (just re-read what u said though about them just pulling out), so unlikely.

Would be interested to see how they resolve your case here (only reason I’ve joined BC is to protect myself against incidents like this) 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

At best 50/50 maybe slightly more towards your fault.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow a lot of RTC experts on here tonight!

Rob I’d write an account of what happened, timing, distances, speed etc NOW so you don’t forget. You can call BCF lawyers and no harm but unless you want to claim they’ll probably say sit tight ans see what she does.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What do i do WHEN she rings asking for cash though al?

brooess
    Free Member

😯 if she pulled out onto the road without looking properly it would be more appropriate to apologise for nearly injuring you rather than asking for ££ to fix her car!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

The joy of strava and GPX reading software 🙂
    Doing 12mph as i started to brake and 1/2 mph on impact!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rob: tell her (politely) to ram it – I bet that’s the advice solicitors will give you. Force her hand – your defence is paid for no?

You could report it to Rozzers, unlikely to go anywhere, but it’s a contemporaneous and formal record of your version of events.

patriotpro
    Free Member

True but, if traced, you’re the one then at fault for leaving the scene of an accident.

Only if you fail to stop, the OP stopped.

OP – other parties fault – sue her arse off. 😆

project
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member
    What do i do WHEN she rings asking for cash though al?

Posted 6 minutes ago # Report-Post

Just say youve passed it to your insurers and they are now dealing with all correspondance.

singlespeedstu

i try in vain to stop and hit her car.

Going too fast and unable to stop?
    🙄 😆

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Not sure that 12mph on a main road is too fast really stu!

singlespeedstu

If you couldn’t stop it could be argued you were going too fast. 😉

Skills coures? 😆

glupton1976
    Free Member

What’s the stopping distance from 12mph on a road bike? The more this thread goes on the more i’m thinking we’re not being told the full story.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

glupton the “story” is exactly whats been told from the off

So scenario, Riding along through Hope at about 10-12mph at most on my rd bike. A woman in a car pulls out from the parking spaces on the left o/s spar/18 bikes just as a bloke pulls out also from behind the car in front of her.

She jams her brakes on, i try in vain to stop and hit her car. Dint from my STI in her boot. She says “he pulled out so i stopped, not a clue what that noise was” – it was me hitting her. She patently pulled out and didn’t see me coming

singlespeedstu

She patently pulled out and didn’t see meknows your a bit of a nob and saw you coming

Maybe she’s seen how awsum you are on STW and was looking for an excuse to try and get your phone number. 😆

rob-jackson
    Free Member

If that was the case you would be knocked of daily

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Collision with a car – what do you do?’ is closed to new replies.