Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Coffee on the go, whats best?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Evening all, just been thinking a coffee on the trail, or as its that time of year, whilst camping would be a nice idea, so I'm thinking whats the best way?
    I have a ETA power stove that I could nick the burner from, maybe use a 125g gas canister, then use a

So just the coffee & cup (easy) to sort out, I got a bit silly & thought of using something like

But then I thought that as I use a *cough* Gaggia capsule machine */cough* at home I could take a few capsules with me & just open them up & put the grinds in the moka.
    The theory is the same reason I use a capsule machine at home, I just don't drink enough of it to justify the waste that would occur from buying beans/ground, it go's off to quickly, so as the sealed capsules are mooted to be as fresh as just ground beans would this work?
    The coffee tastes fine at home, at least as good as the three local shops, all the women tell me its better, but I guess thats just their way of getting me to make them a coffee 😉
    How do you make yours without electric?

Cheers in advance.

Drac

I just bought a Jetboil last week took it to the Lakes with me was great for boiling the water for morning tea and eggs for the trails. Now going to buy the plunger for it to make coffee on the go too.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Handpresso, My wife bought me one for my birthday it makes an excellent espresso with a good crema

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

How did the jetboil do in the latest mag?
    I take it that it came out tops?
    My primus is great, justa bit big for the camelbak 😉

aviemoron
    Free Member

I asked the same a few weeks ago, lots of replies, do a search. I went for a plastic cafetierre. Whilst saving for one of these!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

ballsofcottonwool, how does that work then?
    I was looking more of a coffee maker than an espresso though, just nice smooth & black, no sugar thanks 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

aviemoron, link not working for me, what is it?

Drac

Handpresso would seem it uses pods, FAIL!

Oh and Jetboil did good in the review although wasn't strictly a review was more a look at what's availble.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Handpresso would seem it uses pods, FAIL!

this one uses ground coffee
    http://www.handpresso.fr/products/wild-domepod-EN.html

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

ballsofcottonwool, how does that work then?

its a bit like a shock pump with a espresso machine filter holder attached

you pump up the air reservoir to 16 bar
    pour hot water in the clear reservoir you can see in the photo
    put in a ese coffe pod or a handpresso domepod in the filter
    screw on the filter
    press a button and it uses the air reservoir to push the hot water through the coffe.

I was sceptical at first but I love it now

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

tiny stove which you refill from a lighter refill can perfect for your moka pot

Slacks
    Free Member

Am I the only person who just puts the coffee in a cup and adds water? The ground coffee sinks to the bottom and I then add milk. You just have to remember to stop drinking before the bottom.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What is with the obsession with "proper" coffee? you are out in the cold/wet/mud on a bike, whats wrong with instant?

Drac

this one uses ground coffee

Oh 😳

Flaperon

Well, round Dartmoor recently you can't tell the difference between the bloody mud and coffee unless you drink it.

jedi

i always use a stove top expresso when riding herts. coffee mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 🙂

NZCol

Jetboil, Nescafe Coffee and Milk in a tube with the added bonus you can put it on bread for when your gas runs out 🙂

jedi

nescafe????

lavazza for the win

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, what a picky lot 😉

aviemoron
    Free Member

Sorrythis

NZCol

Look i love my coffee but i can;t be arsed having a 'so near yet so far' experience out in the field. Nescafe coffee in a tube with condensed milk – its so bad its good.

jedi

i'd drink tea before instant coffee. in fact i'd drink man piss first

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Lavazza Qualita Rossa is great coffee, but i need to get a grinder myself for my gaggia cubica.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I wasn't trying to be elitest, just asking about coffee 😳

So does anyone see a problem with using the capsules as a base?

Jedi, I need to ask you if you still have any S1 peaks left, I lost mine last week, I'll obviously pay you if you still have any, I trust everything is good with you ?

Cheers all.

jedi

high 5

TooTall
    Free Member

AeroPress

Aerobie AeroPress – yes the people that make frisbees and stuff. It makes a great coffee, is tough and 90% self cleaning. Love it.

AndyP
    Free Member

What is with the obsession with "proper" coffee? you are out in the cold/wet/mud on a bike, whats wrong with instant?

it tastes like sh1t?
    if they could make coffee which tasted like coffee, but in 'just add hot water to these granules' form, that'd be ace. Unfortunately, nobody has come even close.

jedi

i'll ave a look 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Cheers tony, I look like a roadie without it 😉

blaggers
    Free Member

I dont understand this 'instant coffee is OK' crap either, no-one would accept instant beer (its 99% water anyway why not just add water to freeze-dried beer granules?), or instant wine, why is coffee any different?

surfer
    Free Member

Well said Blaggers!

Good Coffee is serious stuff.

Pieface

I use an MSR coffee filter thingy. Its not espresso but it does a reasonable job and is simple.

Also agree with the strong, sweet instant argument, but the filter and real coffee doesn't take up much more room and tastes better and has a far bigger kick than instant.

Pieface

And to ROFL –

You're riding out in the mud / crap weather.

What differnece will a colour coded, light as possible, better tracking forks bike make?

Each to their own / whatever floats your boat etc..

aviemoron
    Free Member

Tried posting this earlier,

in the meantime – whilst saving up! I just use a plastic (unbreakable) one cup cafetiere.

NZCol

Did someone mention instant beer granules. Yes please.

NZCol

Did someone mention instant beer granules. Yes please.

Pieface

BTW – My 'Unbreakabkle' bodum cafetierre smashed to pieces after dropping it on the floor. I figure a Lexan one made by an outdoors company may fare better

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Slacks – Member

Am I the only person who just puts the coffee in a cup and adds water? The ground coffee sinks to the bottom and I then add milk. You just have to remember to stop drinking before the bottom.

Well thats the Way the Greeks and Turks have done it for ever…
    The Grounds sink better with the superfine grind you can buy over there for about 50p a pack. It's best boiled in a briki 1st and then poured into a cup IMHO.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OK, an update for anyone interested.

Today I bought a MSR pocket rocket & a 1 cup Presto moka pot (in granite finish), although it does work well (I made 1 cup in the shed), its to 'short' for me, I have also realised that by the time I add a Ti cup that won't fit a canister inside I would of been better off buying a Primus ETAExpess & be damed with the extra 200 grams for the sake of less pack space.
    I'm going to get the Primus, so if anyone wants to make an offer on the above, used once, my email's in my profile 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Coffee on the go, whats best?’ is closed to new replies.