• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Coed Y Brenin – somewhere to stay
  • ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Planning a midweek break soon & fancy riding Coed Y Brenin. Anyone recommend anywhere that’s close by(ideally riding distance if possible)?

Camping, B&B, hotel or even a house let are all viable.

Thanks for any info.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

http://www.caegwynfarm.co.uk/

Just up the road. Well equipped for bikers.

I do mean up as well, it’s a mile or two uphill from the trail centre car park. Pretty punishing if you’re knackered at the end of the day!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 Caegwyn. Take your pick of B+B or camping. Good facilities on site. Couple of local pubs that do decent enough food. Easily ridable – an uphill grind (tarmac always fun with super tacky tyres…) but a short enough distance.

T’other is there on a girls riding weekend as I type 🙁

We have log cabins available just 2 miles up the road. You can cycle down the main road or take the National cycle route which takes quiet back roads and then the forestry roads. you can see the cabins available on our online booking pages http://www.logcabinswales.co.uk or call us 01766 540219 🙂

BillOddie

Home

Stayed with these guys in July, literally 2 mins from the trails…and lovely!

will
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at quite a few of the above (Ferndale, Tynygroes, Caegwyn, Ednowain hostel) all are great. I tend to do the hostel in winter and camping at Caegwyn summer. Was there this weekend, very busy and only £8 per night pp. Worth that for the shower alone. The views looking over towards the Rhinogs are amazing too.

aracer
    Free Member

+1 for Caegwyn, but remember the midgy spray if you’re camping

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Another for Caegwyn (my spell check tried to change that to carpetbadger!?

Also you can take the farm track off the main rd and follow a fireroad that spits you out at the top of Adam & eve if you wanted to swerve the tarmac.. although it’s not a problem downhill.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Jaffejoffer.. where is that trail? Booo just come back from weekend at Cae Gwyn ..this time camping (B&B’d before with crashtestmonkey) and was great. Not too many midges this time to be fair!

Just got a deal on travel zoo for BRyn Arto country hotel about 40 mins away but looks boootiful for a change! So we’ll be back there mid week in September hopefully!

gixxer
    Free Member

http://www.glyn-yr-aur.com
    Lovely place and you can ride to the trails in 5 minutes
    Bob is great to

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

It’s your first left turning after leaving the farm heading down hill…

vickypea
    Free Member

I stayed at tyn y groes a few years ago with a group of friends. B&b but you can also eat there in the evenings. 3 beds to a room, large bathroom with loads of hooks for your kit. Lockable bike storage and a short ride from the trail centre.
    We had a great time. One small downside was that the owner demanded payment literally the second we walked through the door, which we felt was mistrustful.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Another for Cae Gwyn – stayed a few times. The hill back from the car park is a big slog though!

They have a cheap camping barn so no need for a tent – and the B&B house is a good price too.

When we were last there the owners drove us up to the local pub for dinner for a few £, and because we were staying at Cae Gwyn the pub landlord gave us a lift back for free!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glyn-yr-Aur is gloriously located. Great spot.

The Tinny has always served us well, too.

LMT
    Free Member

Tyn y groes is an odd place to stay, we did last feb, no one else in the bar at night, room while comfy felt creepy, felt like a ghost hunt trip rather than MTB trip. Staff seemed pleasant enough, we got there at 4pm just getting dark and seemed like it was shut. We did book in advance.

Oh the windows have plastic on the inside to insulate but there’s a 30cm void between the original window and plastic, only found out as we heard a noise outside went to look and smacked my nose off the plastic!

Haven’t returned but might do in the summer perhaps not the best in the winter, far too creepy for me!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Coed Y Brenin – somewhere to stay’ is closed to new replies.