Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • "Cloth" tarpaulin for lining a car boot – where from ?
  • scaredypants

New car on the way & I’m probably going to be having bikes in the back (its a MPV so may even stand up in there)

I’m fancying a nice “heavy”, totally waterproof and foldable tarp to line the back when bikes are in there, so biggish

What is it that I really need and where might I get a good one ?

Thanks

z1ppy

G/f has some of this kit: http://www.hatchbag.co.uk/

It’s been used in two different cars (same model obviously) and still show no signs of wear – though for protection against horse kit being dumped in the car, and the dog rather than biking.
    Good quality but not cheap.

uwe-r
    Free Member

get down to BM Bargains or similar and buy a picnic blanket type thing lined on one side.

coatesy
    Free Member

carseatcover.co.uk

markenduro
    Free Member

I use an old quilt cover and put the whole bike inside that, keeps all the crap inside it and the car a bit cleaner inside.

scaredypants

Thanks y’aw

Those hatchbags look good but I’d want bigger than they offer as stock options for my car

really need it to be fully waterproof and about 15ft square or so if it’s just a sheet
    I’m imagining the same stuff that posh barbecue covers are made of (in fact plan B involves a couple of those, used a bit like markenduro’s quilt cover)

Wally
    pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got exactly what you describe. I think it came from B and Q. Just the job for transporting very muddy bikes. Much bigger than the boot so you can lay it up against the sides / back of the headrests.

crikey
    Free Member

Carpet is the best stuff.

DickBarton

Aye, get down to B&Q and get yourself some of the green tarp that they do…I think the stuff I got (for about £8) is about 3.5m * 2.5 m – it needs to get double folded to fit in but is very waterproof and appears to be very hardwearing…it’s outlasted the last 2 cars I’ve owned.

This is similar to what I have but is blue and appears to be slightly larger.

scaredypants

ooh, that B&Q stuff looks good (ie CHEAP!) – is it definitley waterproof ? (I have a blue “pseudotarp” in the garage but it’s just roughly woven nylon and wouldn’t prevent leaks/drips at all)

DickBarton

Yes, defo waterproof…BUT, only if the sides are turned up…the water will collect in the tarp and if the sides don’t turn up then the water will just run out…I’ve emptied 2 camelbaks and had 2 bikes thaw out after getting coated in snow and ice…water collected in tarp and I just scooped tarp out with an assistant (lifted 2 corners each then poured out the back of car)…it’s big enough to allow you to have spare at all 4 sides so you can ensure the sides wrap up…I’ve never needed to use it single-layered before, have always double or quadruple layered it due to size of vehicle.

scaredypants

Lovely, cheers !

Wally

That BnQ stuff is not cloth.

br1zz
    Free Member

Wilkinsons do a 3m x 3m (IIRC) reinforced plastic sheet in garden section, about £5 I think – totally waterproof. Fold into quarter to fit boot, in half if you put seats down to put bikes in whole.

scaredypants

got one of these on my barbie – pretty good for just over a tenner. Need to see if it fits a bike (def waay bigger than 1m50 though, esp when you’re fitting a narrow bike in ratehr than a barbie)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘"Cloth" tarpaulin for lining a car boot – where from ?’ is closed to new replies.