Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Closest Riding to London
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I am sorry if there have been numerous threads about similar things before and im sure there has but ive searched a little and found little.

I am moving to London next month and will be sorting myself out with a Hartail SS to mooch around the puny hills near london. So what is it like for cheeky bits of singletrack within the city and outskirts and which places can i easily take a train to for something a little more hilly. Im from up north and currently living in the alps so i am not expecting too much, will be downgrading from a trek scratch (soon for sale people) to a Genesis IO hopefully

manitou
    Free Member

North Downs, South Downs, Berkshire (Swinley)

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Whereabouts in London are you as it can take an hour to get from one side to another!

elpuko
    Free Member

Have a Look at Aston Hill in Wendover for some cracking technical downhill. Short but fast,steep and nasty. They also have an xc loop and the surrounding woods are great.

Also have a look at Southern Trail rides for some fine cross country events, next one is in a couple of weeks and offers 65k of Chiltern Hills starting in Princes Risborough. They also offer 100k’s.

Both of these little gems should keep you occupied and may surprise you, the South isn’t as soft as you might imagine.

chakaping
    Free Member

Epping’s pretty good, especially with summer coming.

Get a train to Dorking or nearby and out into the Surrey Hills for the best riding around London though.

Some great stuff there and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Main destinations are
    Surrey Hills to S – train from W/loo or Victoria to Dorking about 45 mins
    Swinley to W – train from W/loo to Bracknell about 1 hr
    Tunnel Hill to SE – train from W/loo to Woking about 30 mins
    Epping Forest to NE by tube

Not much cheeky in London itself, but good fun for some late evening urban exploring

check the London Calling thread in the Bike Radar “rides” forum for company &/or lifts 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

When I used to live ‘Sarf’ of the river I found some OK cheeky trails in Dulwich, Crystal Palace, the other side of Greenwich and there was a designated cycle route between them. Further south in Croydon there is a big park which strictly speaking was out of bounds for cyclists (but not equestrians?!) but was always full of mtbers back in the day. When I was north of the river there was some trails to be had around Ally Pally and of course Epping for the weekend.

br
    Free Member

Chilterns, anywhere between Dunstable and Goring – plenty of singletrack and all train accessable.

_tom_
    Free Member

Aston Hill is great but a bit expensive if you’re not riding regularly enough to bother getting the membership imo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Closest Riding to London’ is closed to new replies.