Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cladding a house with wood, anyone DIY?
  • acjim
    Free Member

I’ve always thought my house (modern design bungalow) would look great clad in natural wood. Something like this. The house is currently half clad in painted timber and half rough rendered.

Has anyone taken on a project like this?

If so did you DIY and what kind of time and money was it?

Thanks!

br
    Free Member

First thing you need to look at are any Planning issues.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sounds interesting will be interested to hear the experts opinion on this. If you do this I would have thought that it would be a opportunity to stick a load of insulation behind the cladding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Definitely worth putting insulation behind it. You may qualify for energy efficiency company or green deal finance if adding insulation too.

Make sure you allow for a ventilated cavity behind the cladding.

Insulated render is another and possibly cheaper option, if you are looking for a new look.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Make sure you allow for a ventilated cavity behind the cladding.

Like cold roof type system?

pjm84
    Free Member

Look up rainscreen construction.

Yes but not DIY.

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks – i did see some examples of insulated render which looked interesting.

The possibility of getting a grant sounds worth following up too!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

acjim if you are looking at and insulated render system, you cannot DIY this if you want to get a green deal grant. MIt must be installed by a registered applicator.

footflaps

DIY would be much cheaper, the green deal grants are just loans which aren’t at a preferential rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenerliving/9830999/Be-wary-of-Green-Deal-warns-consumer-watchdog.html

slackalice
    Free Member

Just remember to lay your boards ‘heart out’. This is so that as the boards season, the edges will naturally curl into the building. Be careful not to use too many fastenings as the seasoning process will shrink the boards slightly and can cause splitting if they are fastened too often/much.

Ideally you would use rift sawn i.e. growth rings going vertically through the board when viewing the end-grain. Specifying this is expensive as the tree cannot be sawn all that economically.

How do I know? I was one of the guy’s who did this (using Western Red Cedar)

grantway
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use timber in this country
    Try these Decorative cladding

bokonon
    Free Member

IIRC Insulating your house is now permitted development, so planning issues are less if thats the aim (conservation area permitting)

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

The permiited development ruling is quite recent.It was only announced in December.

righog
    Free Member

I have seen some excellent examples were aesthetically challenged 70’s houses have been transformed with the use of timber cladding ( guess it only works well on detached houses)with styles from Scandinavia and New England. You could also take the opportunity to add insulation.

I built a full log house. The Garage was built with breeze blocks and clad with wood to match the main house ( no insulation) no problems so far about 5years old now. ( any excuse to show pictures 😆 )

matt_outandabout

http://ww.natural-building.co.uk/pavatex_pavaclad_masonry_external_wall_insulation.htm

Been done lots, NBT have plenty of experience of this. We have friends with an old house externally insulated and timber clad.

Main issue is reveals, doors and roof overhang (of lack of) and the detailing can be really challenging unless you are re-roofing and new-windows.

😆 😆 😆
    Really? It is one of the oldest building materials in UK, and world. Proven over tens of thousands of houses and hundreds of years.
    *walks off muttering*

Haze

Thermowood?

righog
    Free Member

Really? It is one of the oldest building materials in UK, and world. Proven over tens of thousands of houses and hundreds of years.
    *walks off muttering*

I am also walking off muttering 😀

Bear
    Free Member

Slack – that is lovely, where is it?

slackalice
    Free Member

Bear

Weald and Downland Open Air Museum – Singleton, West Sussex

The Gridshell. It’s their workshop!

Linky

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’d heard it’s really hard to get planning permission for wooden houses in the uk.

How hard is it to get wooden cladding for a crappy 60-70’s house then?

matt_outandabout

I’d heard it’s really hard to get planning permission for wooden houses in the uk.

As ever, depends on your location and planners priorities or preference.

ajc
    Free Member

Take a look at the TRADA website. They have a good book on cladding including lots of details around doors/windows and recommendation of fixings. Quite an expensive book but well worth it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Righog – nice chalet!

Is that in the UK, or Europe?

Yeah, totally agree: wood is entirely suitable in the UK, so long as its the right species, or correctly treated.

grantway
    Free Member

righog – Member
    *walks off muttering*

I am also walking off muttering

Building in wood Structurally yes,

ajc
    Free Member

Wood framing and cladding is totally suitable in this country if the correct timber is used and detailed properly. If you think otherwise you clearly don’t know what your talking about.

mos

I would advise buying a copy of Trada’s book on timber cladding. It’s very informative & has all the relavent details in.

righog
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member
    Righog – nice chalet!

Is that in the UK, or Europe?

Yeah, totally agree: wood is entirely suitable in the UK, so long as its the right species, or correctly treated.

Spongebob, it is in Northumberland.

TooTall
    Free Member

I bet you’d object to straw bale and cob as well!

grantway
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    I bet you’d object to straw bale and cob as well!

Nope as its used internally with an exterior finish

righog
    Free Member

To be fair to the I wouldn’t use timber in this country..”Brigade” 😀

The Banks and Buidling societies have exactly the same attitude, just try to get a mortgage for one !

I would love to build a straw bale house.

AlexSimon

Lovely looking cladding that slackalice!

konabunny
    Free Member

The weather is much more extreme in New England but wood is fine there. Ditto Scandinavia!

TooTall
    Free Member

Given that properly specc’d and detailed Western Red Cedar has a 60 year service life as cladding, I’d say that was OK.

grant – cob tends to rely on a good hat and a good pair of boots – only usually has sand/lime applied in very exposed positions.

TRADA are your friend for all wood goodness.

matt_outandabout

Even something like UK grown sweet chestnut or larch has a cladding life of 15-25 years – as much as most render and more than paint.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Just curious – is Swamp Cypress, T distichum, available in the UK as cladding?

Neil-F
    Free Member

Worth checking how well your insurance take the change to timber outer too. Premiums might go up somewhat.

matt_outandabout

Why?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cladding a house with wood, anyone DIY?’ is closed to new replies.