• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyv.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chunky Monkey 650b tubeless??
  • dangerousbeans
    Free Member

IIRC these tyres were not tubeless ready when first released.

Now the On One site lists them as tubeless ready tyres but the actual product appears unchanged and doesn’t say tubeless ready anywhere on the tyre.

Is this just creative marketing or am I missing something?

Del

creative marketing or learning from the experiments?
    quite a few have set these up tubeless quite happily, including me. they leak out the sidewalls hardly at all, whereas the ‘2bliss’ spesh tyre i have up front is always wet on the sidewalls.
    i’m happy with the 26 version on the rear of my chameleon ghetto tubeless. i’ll keep buying them so long as they stay cheap!

br
    Free Member

26er went up tubeless no problem – and keeps air well

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Yeh, they go up fine tubeless, although I do find they burp easier at the same pressures than other tyres (running on stans rims)

konanige

I have run them tubeless as 26 and 29, no probs burpage is entirely dependant on rim I think, in my experience anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

I just ordered one and expect it will work as well as the 26 and 29in versions did.

DeeW
    Free Member

Used 3 x 29″ ones and found they worked perfect tubeless. As easy as any tyres I’ve used, but then I do have a compressor. Got an unused 27.5 sticky compound one for sale if anyone wants to save a few quid over on-one prices.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Well I can’t get them to seat on Hope Enduro rims with track pump.

Given up after 3 hours and 4 tyres (chunky monkeys and nobby NICs) and gone back to tubes.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Double post

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Leave the tube in overnight, it’ll seat fine tomorrow.

trailhound101

These came standard on my 45650b 14 months ago (SRAM roam 30 wheels) and have been running tubeless ever since, no problems.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge.

2 of them were already tubed for more than overnight.

Took them off, Stans tape and valve as per instruction,refit tyre, soap on bead and wont go up with my pump. Cant see how another night of tubed will help when the past 3 months tubed didn’t.

Reckon it’s the low airflow of the track pump, although I hear of plenty of others who only used a track pump.

Assume I need a compressor or one of those airshot devices – cost of them will pay for a lot of inner tubes though.

Alternatively I could get the LBS to fit them but that will work out expensive when wanting to swap tyres about regularly and add more sealant every couple of months.

jamesoz

Co2 cartridge to seat the tyre then deflate and add sealant or a Co2 fire extinguisher and some adaptors, when the co2 runs out fill the bottle from your track pump.
    I’m running a chunky monkey 650b on a hope enduro rim and the only time it’s seated with a track pump was with an inner tube as a rim strip.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Fire extinguisher, now there’s an idea.

The Monkey rim interface is slack though, especially one tyre which barely stays on – if I grab just the tyre and shake it then the wheel will fall out Other Monkey is a much tighter fit.

Not sure how confident I would be about it staying on the rim when cornering hard

jamesoz

I run the 26″ version ghetto on non tubless rims (cut bmx tube) as the extra rubber takes up the slack and stops burping on corners. With just tape I could make them burp quite easily, works even with a well used baggy tyre.

Duffer
    Free Member

I run a CM and a Smorg on my Inbred, on Blunt 35 rims.

They inflated no problem with a track pump.

Nobeerinthefridge.

2 of them were already tubed for more than overnight.

Took them off, Stans tape and valve as per instruction,refit tyre, soap on bead and wont go up with my pump. Cant see how another night of tubed will help when the past 3 months tubed didn’t.

In my opinion, you came unstuck when you removed the tyre from the rim completely. I’d have popped one side, removed the tube, and reseated that one side. This means you have only half the sealing to do.

jamesoz

You may be able to get them to go up with a track pump on the blunt rims but he doesn’t have those rims.

johnhe

I run the 26″ version tubeless on Stand Flow rims and have never had a problem.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Perfect on Roam’s here.
    Went up first time and stayed sealed.

dogthomson

DeeW

Got an unused 27.5 sticky compound one for sale if anyone wants to save a few quid over on-one prices.

That may be of interest to me, will drop you an email.

andyv
    Free Member

Tubeless on 52mm Stans Hugos here. Up first time and stayed that way.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chunky Monkey 650b tubeless??’ is closed to new replies.