Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • chris kings freezing 'open' in cold weather.
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

so if its too cold and they have any water in at all then they freeze open and you get stuck in neutral!

bit of a design flaw on a £300 hub!

sslowpace
    Free Member

Blimey, never had mine freeze in over 8 years of use.

Previously on my singlespeed hub I ran it in winter with a semi oil bath of 10wt synthetic fork oil (see CK website for info, they reccomend it for v cold weather!). Basically fill the inside of the hubshell with about 10ml of oil, replace driveshell and axel and away you go.

If not, regreasing the ringdrive every 6 months is good practice.
    HTH
    Pete

votchy
    Free Member

Not unique to CK, have seen other hubs freeze, a liberal application of 'universal maintenance fluid'* always sorts them out whatever make they are

* p1ss 😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

3 teams of pissers. musta been cold cos it refroze until we were all empty…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Wow, a real CK downer day.

I've had them for 10 years, never once have they froze. Mind you, I don't keep water in them, just oil.

JamesP
    Free Member

If anything I would have thought the ring drive made them less susceptable to freezing – afterall they don't have pawls and springs to freeze open. I suspect even the best equipment has its limits.

tracknicko
    Free Member

wasnt mine out of interest.

sheldona
    Free Member

I've had most of mine freeze at one time or another, easily fixed though with a quick service/clean then use suspension oil 7.5wt works for me during the winter months!
    Just to balence things out a bit I've had Hope freeze too

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My singlespeed CK's frozen up before and now gets a strip and regrease every autumn.
    I might try the oilbath idea next time.

The other problem I've had is grit and sand getting in the threads for the 'fun' bolts making it next to impossible to get them out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘chris kings freezing 'open' in cold weather.’ is closed to new replies.