Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Chest pain – How worried should i be?
  • Babbel
    Free Member

I started getting chest pain during any sort of exercise. Even walking.
    Starts after about a minute but eases off or goes away after 10-15mins.
    It’s around the left side of my chest going around to my back.
    If it carried on or got worse i’d be worried I was having angina.
    Has anybody else had this and what is causing it?

honourablegeorge

I’d be asking a doctor about it, rather than uninformed idiots like us .

martinhutch

We’ve got no idea of your age, general fitness, lifestyle, weight…

There are a lot of causes of chest pain,but it is a warning sign that you should take seriously. Go and see your GP if you are in any doubt.

Babbel
    Free Member

True, but it takes weeks to get a referral to someone who can do full tests.
    So in the mean time I was wondering if others had had similar to give me a clue what it might be.

crankboy
    Free Member

This is your Lucky day I know the exact answer to your question……

You should be worried enough to go to your Dr soon and try to avoid repeating anything that sets off the pain till you have.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Chest pains and you’re concerned? Go to a&e. Get bloods obs and ECG done.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Have a walk down to your local walk in centre and get seen there. They’ll be able to do an ECG and arrange for blood tests to be done if they deem it necessary. They’ll be able to start the ball rolling for the referral process if it’s needed.

If you’re getting chest pain on exertion then it needs to be investigated sooner rather than later.

project
    Free Member

Ring the gp, and ask for an emergency appointmet, then they will refer you quicker to a hospital if they think something is up.there are also drop in centres and your pharmacist/chemist.

Drac

See your GP even it takes a week you’ll get better advice than Google or a forum, ring every morning see if there’s any cancellations or if there’s a sit and wait option.

Or visit a Walk in Centre

gwj72
    Free Member

Generally chest pain in a single spot is a muscle problem. If it’s harder to pin down and more general chest pain may be more serious.

But that’s rule of thumb stuff, if you’re worried see a doc and make sure.

I get sharp chest pains often as a result of pulled muscles because I clench my jaw a lot (ptsd).

hora
    Free Member

I had chest pains but I’d been doing alot of pec-deck work at the gym (strained muscles). IF you haven’t been doing this I cant think of anything else that could give you chestpains- GET TO TO A **** DOCTOR ASAP.

Don’t do this for yourself and procrastinate as if you do keel over now you’ll be a bloody selfish bloke as you’ll leave a lot of upset and devasted loved ones behind.

Sorry to be harsh, do it for others and dont procrastinate dude.

Woody
    Free Member

Not nearly enough info, OP, to say anything other than get yourself to GP or walk-in centre asap as advised above.

If it starts after a minute of walking, walk for a minute before you arrive at the walk-in centre and you will be presenting with active chest pain……..you won’t have to wait long before they see you!

Babbel
    Free Member

I can see a theme to these replies…
    I should have said I’ve got the ball rolling with the docs. I’ve had a blood test at a walk-in and am waiting to see my doc to see what he wants to do.

I’m pretty fit (I do XC races and am a reasonably good runner) and in my 40s. Never had anything like this before.
    I do press ups every day. I’ll give those up to see if that helps. Though I’ve been doing them for months.

Drac

Good to hear you’ve started to find out.

I could dish out advice but as I know nothing other what you’ve briefly posted and I can’t do any observations it would be wrong for me to do so.

Make notes of when it happens, what brought it on, what it felt like and what eased it.

neninja
    Free Member

If there is any suspicion that you have a heart condition it won’t take weeks.

Carry on getting it checked.

My mum had chest pains and breathlessness when exerting herself for years and though nothing of it right up to the point that she had a heart attack. Fortunately she was OK – it turned out she had a heart defect where an artery went underneath instead of over the top of another one so when the heart started working harder it effectively shuts down.

samuri
    Free Member

When you fart does it go away? 😉

Woody
    Free Member

I should have said I’ve got the ball rolling with the docs. I’ve had a blood test at a walk-in and am waiting to see my doc to see what he wants to do.

You’ve done this and expect definitive answers on an mtb forum ……..

Worth it for Hora’s pec-deck words of wisdom however…….and you have been doing press-ups 😆

footflaps

I went to A&E with chest pain – straight to front of queue and within 10 mins I’d had full ECG, blood tests, X rays, multiple blood pressure readings.

Drac

I went to A&E with chest pain – straight to front of queue and within 10 mins I’d had full ECG, blood tests, X rays, multiple blood pressure readings.

OP isn’t currently having chest pains he’s had them on the odd occasion.

natrix
    Free Member

Have you recently stroked a cat? Sounds suspiciously like cat aids to me 😈

legolam
    Free Member

Every hospital I’ve worked in runs a rapid access chest pain clinic, which GPs can refer to and will see you within a week with that story. They will have access to tests on the day (and more complex tests that they can fast-track you into) that will help with the diagnosis (whether it’s cardiac or not).

Phone your GP surgery now, and get an appointment in the next day or two. Tell them you don’t have chest pain now but have done in the last couple of days (if this is true) and they should give you an emergency appointment. Don’t just ignore it.

Hannah
    A cardiologist
    (6134750 for any GMC bods interested)

legolam
    Free Member

Or it’s cat AIDS

(please ignore previous GMC number)

wwaswas

OP isn’t currently having chest pains

Run to a&e so he is?

More seriously;

no one qualified to give any advice beyond ‘get a professional diagnosis’ is going to post anything on here beyond ‘get a professional diagnosis’.

My wife has an arythmic heart beat and occasional chest pains and ended up on a running machine at the hospital being given adrenaline to see if they could make it ‘go wrong’. Upshot was she’s ok but it was worth getting it checked.

thepurist

I had a spell of intermittent bad chest pains for a week or so, left side only. Went to see the doc who couldn’t detect a problem then the next day came up in a lovely shingles rash on the LHS of my back, which then proceeded to spread over my left chesticle.

Babbel
    Free Member

My youngest has shingles at the mo…

footflaps

Or it’s cat AIDS

That’s what I was diagnosed with, only the Bad type. I was given 60 years to live, a bottle of aspirin and told to go home and die (slowly).

Babbel
    Free Member

My sister has cats… Now I am worried.

qwerty
    Free Member

Is a baby robin impaled in your chest?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I had exactly those symptoms- pain in my chest, throat, shoulder, arm etc, coming on within a minute of beginning exercise and then going once I’d warmed up. It was Angina, but 7 years later I’m still here courtesy of 3 stents and a double bypass.
    Yours could be anything but best get it checked out.
    Once the missus had dragged me down the doc’s it was only a couple of days before I was on the treadmill. Once they’d discovered it wasn’t anything exciting further tests seemed to take forever.

hora
    Free Member

😆 woody.

maxtorque

legolam

Hannah
    A cardiologist

They only call “Hot” girls Hannah right? 😉

(I accept this may or may not help the OPs possible heart condition………..)

legolam
    Free Member

Er, sure?

Have a heart attack in Newcastle and you can find out… 😉

(Please don’t, I like a quiet life and I’m quite fond of you lot)

Houns

legolam – Member
    Or it’s cat AIDS

(please ignore previous GMC number)

😆

I’m going to start advising people that it’s cat aids at work

Oh and what max torque said

Drac

Wd 41?

Woody
    Free Member

@ legolam

Is that really your GMC number?
    I’ve never seen anyone looking remotely like a Hannah at FRH PPCI 😉

johnj2000
    Free Member

I had this and had all the tests with no diagnosis. Dr took a punt and advised giving up caffeine, problem solved in a week. Withdrawal symptoms were crappy though.

Not saying it will work for you so get yourself checked out but it might not be serious.

legolam
    Free Member

24 FRH (in reply to Drac)

Woody – pretty certain it’s my number, I’d choose someone with more money if I was going to impersonate them! I’ve just moved from JCUH. Should we have met?

Drac

Ah right.

Not been to either for ages anyway.

Houns

WD41? Is that like WD40 but better?

dr_death
    Free Member

Can’t believe no ones said it yet….

I bagsy your bikes when you die!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Chest pain – How worried should i be?’ is closed to new replies.