Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)
  • Cheap front light to help me be less depressed?
  • gnusmas

Does anyone have any suggestions of a replacement front light for my knackered Exposure Joystick? I need to get out and ride at some point and it seems that an occasional blat on road in the evening when everyone is in bed is the only option available.

My wife has unfortunately been left wheelchair bound after an unsuccesful operation, nearly 5 years of doctors not correctly diagnosing her since the start. We have 4 kids, youngest starts nursery next September so hopefully things will start to improve then. I haven’t been able to have a decent ride in all this time due to looking after her and the children, since her operation in October my role has intensified considerably.

Haven’t got anyone to help look after them, Mum has severe MS and Dad looks after her 24/7. My wife’s family all live 200+ miles away. The few friends we have all work and have their own families. We can’t afford childcare otherwise this would be an option.

While i enjoy spending time with my wife (when we can) and the kids, i feel myself getting dragged further into darkness. Snapping at everyone, having a go over the smallest things, overwhelmed with everything etc. I can only put this down to having no time for me to unwind or relax and lack of sleep. I work from home (part time) and usually start my work after everyone has settled for the night, usually finishing in the early hours of the morning, then being up with the kids in the morning after 2-4 hours sleep.

Money is extremely tight at the moment, so does anyone know of any lights that won’t break the bank that in turn (hopefully) will help with my depression? Then all i have to do is find my rear light, wherever it may be. Just hope nothing else goes wrong with my bike.

If you got this far thanks for reading and sorry for waffling on. Don’t really have anyone to talk to so thought i would do the STW thing and post it on a public forum.

Murray

Alpkit Bosun is prett good as a helmet light for £29.
    Other alternative is Solarstorm X2 clone for about £20 from e.g. Amazon.

PJay
    Free Member

I don’t know much about lights I’m afraid, but just wanted to say that I’m sorry you’re struggling.

I’ve struggled with depression (and other issues) in the past and it’s a bastard.

Despite all the bravado and the occasional knob, the Singletrack Forums have always seem an incredibly supportive place when folk have needed to talk about difficult things.

Junkyard
    Free Member

PM me on here and I will donate a suitable light for you

I have a few options depends on whether you want light weight or burn time and reliability

deadkenny
    Free Member

Off road night rides an option too? Any groups around, what part of the country?

Tough times it seems, but getting out riding can do a lot to help with depression, anxiety etc. Exercise in general, but riding especially. More so if you can get rides with like minded people. I find riding to be very friendly and very social (MTB in my case), even the night rides. Many in the group I ride with similarly are limited on time and the night rides are the only option.

Have to said off road night riding is loads of fun. Less so on your own, though to me it’s better than no ride. Not everyone will feel safe night riding on their own though. I kind of like the solitude, as much as I enjoy social rides. Road I’m sure is also fun. Just I’ve never done night road rides, so can’t comment really.

SaxonRider

Nice one, Junkyard. Thank you.

mildbore

Wow that sounds really tough, OP, no wonder you are feeling down. Your situation is really difficult, it makes me feel really lucky as I recover from an operation. Not got anything helpful to suggest, just wanted to offer my sympathy. Good on you for trying to fight back by aiming to get out on a ride, sounds like it could be a lifeline. Good luck!

garage-dweller

Good man junkyard 😀

gnusmas

Thankyou everyone, sitting here running a bath for the kids reading the replies and my eyes are welling up, i feel like a right numpty.

Thankyou Junkyard. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart for your offer. Will happily pay you/donate to a cause of your choice.

I only live a 20 mins drive from Brechfa, but the engine in our car blew up last year and has been sitting in our garage ever since as we can’t afford to repair it. Would love a mountain night ride, but the brakes on my mtb are knackered too, one more thing on my list of ‘when i can afford to sort this’ which is a reoccurring theme unfortunately.

The more i seem to be writing the more i am deleting as i go along.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Junkyard – genuinely nice offer. Kudos to you.
    OP – that sounds like a whole load of challenges that any normal person would struggle with. I suspect you’re doing brilliantly just managing day to day so do cut yourself some slack and I wish you all the best.

larrydavid
    Free Member

gnusmas/Junkyard

I have a 6×18650 battery pack made by Torchy the battery boy (http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/big_f_d_d?_trksid=p2047675.l2559) That fits solar storm and magic shine lights. It gives a good and reliable boost over the standard ones. I also have light too should you need.

If this would be useful, PM me I’ll send it to you.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Set up a crowdfunding page Gnusmas?

I will chuck some money in for sure, a little from everyone will get you there.

This guy needs some good lights that will last, wont burn the house down and last. A good set of Hopes will set you up.

I went through stress, anxiety and then depression and have to keep any eye out for it every day.

My mates never turned me down for a ride, and like wise a friend who is recovering from cancer and rides like the devil to shake it off, is always ridden with, despite us being knackered.

My email is simon_chambers@hotmail.com

Junkyard
    Free Member

This guy needs some good lights that will last, wont burn the house down and last.

what makes you think I am offering tat 😉

dont mind how he gets some as long as he does
    will chip in if stw hive mind or OP prefers this.

gnusmas

Thanks all for the kindness, it is really appreciated.

Larrydavid, again can’t thank you enough for your offer. Will keep you posted if that is ok?

Rocky mountain – appreciate the thought and gesture greatly, but I am not wanting to take advantage of anyone, it was a genuine question about decent cheapish lights. An electric wheelchair is higher on the wish list and needed more than lights for me, i think for my sanity though i need to get out and this is what i was trying to explain. Reading back i think i just wanted to offload too.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Not all all Junkyard.
    Just being an old softy!

mikey74
    Free Member

Set up a crowdfunding page Gnusmas?

Yep, and post the link here. I’d happily donate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/junkyard-stw

there you go – all spelling errors are my own …added to the authenticity!!

NB they deduct processing fees and charges – I assume for Paypal – I will provide proof of the donation, obviously, to the OP

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ larry david if you send him that i will send him a Lummi set up with cutter leds so he has something that is not lightweight but will have long burn times. Not sure how long the torchy battery lasts but it has to be an improvement on the solar storm i could offer. I can send him a solar storm light if needed as I have two lights and only one working battery

demelitia
    Free Member

Disc or V brake on your mountain bike? Seems silly to ask but I figured I’d make sure; They might have been broken since the 90’s!

gnusmas

Just finished work for tonight and thought i would check in before heading to bed. I am crying my eyes out!

None of you know me but are rallying around and going well above anything i could ever imagine. There really are some nice and genuine people in this world. I wish i could personally thank you all. This is truly amazing and not what i was expecting at all, i am stunned.

A very big heartfelt thankyou to you all.

Demelitia – Saint M810s, after bleeding go spongey within 10 mins and loses all pressure after about an hour or so. Bikes sat there like it since we moved here nearly 3 years ago.

Poopscoop

Gnusmas, your not as alone as you must feel mate.

I have a tiny understanding of some of what you describe.

Hold on there buddy and don’t be too hard on yourself.

I find it’s the best people in life that bring out the best in this forum too.

maycontainnuts

Don’t know much about depression or front lights I’m afraid, but have chucked into junkyard’s just giving.

theotherjonv

What’s up with the car – there’s a chunk of knowledge and goodwill on here, could get that sorted I’m sure……. Will chuck some in to Junkie’s JG shortly. I too suffer depression but thankfully without the other issues you have and I know how tough it can be at times, I can’t imagine how you cope but just know you aren’t alone, we’ve got your back for whatever you need.

PJay
    Free Member

Would this Hope R2i Vision be suitable? There’s no battery pack option but it’s got good reviews one of which states that at around 450 lumens it’ll run for 4.5 hours.

Currently 41% off at CRC and in the clearance sale, so an extra £10 off. I reckon that the Singletrack funding page ought to stretch to that.

squealer
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of xtr m970 brakes you can have if you want. They need a bleed though.

mikey74
    Free Member

OP: At the risk of sounding like a TV ad, have you approached anyone about compensation related to your wife’s poor treatment? I work for an architect’s practice who do a lot of expert witness work, assessing people’s housing requirements, in very similar situations to yourself.

Toasty

If you still need anymore light, I’d be happy to send you a virtually unused Solarstorm X2 with it’s original battery and charger. It can’t have done any more than about 10 minutes, I’ve ended up with a ridiculous amount of lights for some reason.

Chuck me an address if you want it.

Are there any other bikey bits you need?

Drac

I might have some brakes somewhere, they’ll be nothing special but if I can find them and service them they’re yours.

schmiken

Email me your address and I’ll post you out some spare Shimano brakes. They’re not great but will get you running again.

oink1
    Free Member

Donated. Not much though because I’m not working! Every bit helps though I guess. Good luck OP, Im old enemies with depression. PM me if you ever need an ear to chew! 😀

kimbers

Where are you based gnusmas?

though you have it much tougher than I can imagine, with 4 young kids I at least know how precious riding time is.

I force myself out every week if only for an hour.

If you are near Woburn I’m out from 20:30 usually on a Thursday !

gnusmas

Just dropped kids off at school and sat down with a cup of tea. Opened the thread.

Wow, just wow!

My mind is blown, feeling really emotional, at a loss for words. Don’t think i deserve any of this. Really struggling to comprehend the amount of kind words and generosity.

This place has always been a sanctuary for me over the years, not necessarily posting but always reading. It has always been my 10 mins of peace. Read everything from tales of joy and wit to sorrow and heartbreak, along with informative views, opinions and sarcasm too. I never thought i would be on the receiving end in this way. This has exceeded my expectations in every way.

You are probably tired of hearing this, but again, thankyou all from the bottom of my heart.

gnusmas

Right, managed to compose myself a bit after a couple more cups of tea.

Firstly, i would like to thank Junkyard for setting up the crowsfunding page.

Secondly, i would like to thank all that have put into the crowfunding page Junkyard has set up. It is unbelievably generous of you all.

Theotherjonv – the car blew all its water out and now wont hold water at all. I did the thermostat at the time, flushed it through but still does the same. When i was working on it i noticed the front subframe has rusted through, been told it can’t be welded and won’t pass another mot like it.

Mikey74 – one of our family members suggested compensation. If the condition was diagnosed early enough there wouldn’t have been an issue, but not an easy thing to diagnose early on due to lack of all the symptoms, if that makes sense. The consent form for the operation also covers every eventuality so no come backs on them.

Kimbers – i live in Carmarthen, so nowhere near you unfortunately, thanks for the offer though.

Oink1 – thankyou, will bear that in mind.

Squealer, Toasty, Drac and Schmiken – thankyou all so much, will direct message you on here if that is ok. My email address is hoodahell(AT)hotmail(DOT)co(DOT)uk if it is any easier for you.

Toasty – pretty sure that is all that is wrong with the bike. Quite a simple 1×9 Cove Stiffee with 26″ wheels.

Drac

Yup DM will be fine.

It’ll take me a bit to find them if I’ve got some as my spares box is buried somewhere in my garage.

rockhopper70

Not great brakes admittedly, but I have some avid BB7 that I can post to you.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Gnusmas, I have an Exposure Spark you can have plus charger and rechargeable batteries. Nice little light and ok for road use.
    In my spares box I have some handlebars and a Lezyne rear light if they can be of any use they are yours.
    Drop me a message and I can post out if you want them.
    Steve.

gnusmas

Messages sent to everybody (i think),thankyou doesn’t feel or seem enough for all you are doing.

Don’t feel i deserve any of this.
    I have been a bit of a wreck today, struggling to comprehend your kind generosity against my gradually declining behaviour towards my family.

Hopefully things will take a turn for the better soon, i know things need to improve before i explode completely through no fault of anybodies but myself.

mikey74
    Free Member

Did you see my post about financial assistance? Have you spoken to a solicitor?

gnusmas

What she has been left with is classed as a side effect of the operation which is listed on the operation consent form. I guess they are covering all bases by listing as much as they can. Albeit a very extreme side effect, the surgeon even said he hasn’t known anyone to be as bad as this after the operation.

She is being monitored by the hospital and has to have an MRI scan every 6 months and a follow up consultation. This is to make sure it doesn’t worsen any more, which could result in paralisation from the neck down.

mikey74
    Free Member

I see. I’m still sure there must be avenues for financial assistance, though.

Citizen’s Advice Bureau?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Cheap front light to help me be less depressed?’ is closed to new replies.