Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cheap flat MTB shoes?
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Going from SPDs and giving flats a go on the MTB.

Places like Decathlon and Sports Direct all seem to do cheap own brand SPD shoes, bit no one does flats that I can find.

Just want something cheap to try but would prefer bike specific rather than normal trainers otherwise I’ll just end up back with SPDs!

Anyone know of cheap entry level ones?

wallop

What do you mean by “cheap”?

garage-dweller

I know they’re not bike specific but I’ve been riding flats a lot more the last year or two and tend to go for the heavily discounted (and/or cosmetic second) skate shoes in places like sports direct (I have some airwalks just now but had vans previously). £50 often gets you two pairs so you can have one to ride in and one drying out from summer weather.

As a budget starter they havent put me off.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Fair point about £30-£40 so the skate shoe idea sounds like a good one cheers

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Airwalk skate shoes from Sports Direct as said above
    Cheap as

Bagstard
    Free Member

When you are used to flats most skate shoes will be fine, but coming from spd’s you may have a better experience with super grippy five tens.
    They are expensive and ultimately overkill, but great when you first make the change.

Shimano AM41 are pretty good, not as grippy, nor as expensive and better in the wet.

jekkyl
    RustySpanner

If the Shimano ones fit, they are worth the money.
    They last for ages and are a great design.
    Bit narrow though.

Find Vans fine for an hour in the woods, but not stiff enough for all dayers.

Adidas running shoes grip well but have no support.
    Too squidgy as well.

Big gap in the market for sure.

thepodge
    Free Member

Skate shoes here too though my sports direct airwalks fell apart within 2 months. Currently have a set of old Etnies, figured my feet are going to get wet anyways so it doesn’t matter if they are a bit worn out to start with.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Get 5 tens, I bought a set of Danny Mackaskill’s about 2.5 years ago and they are still going strong.

£80 bit expensive up front but pays for itself in no time.

beefheart
    Free Member

AM41s here.
    Currently £60 from CRC with £10 off if you make your basket up to £75.
    2 year guarantee too, so better value than cheap skate shoes in the long run.

theboatman
    Free Member

If you have 7.5 feet or less;

Sombrio’s job done

jamesy01
    Free Member

AM41’s are £45 from Go Outdoors IIRC

Edit: I was wrong…its the Am45’s

[/url]

finbar
    Free Member

Don’t skate shoes generally have a pretty soft sole? And isn’t that the opposite of 5:10s and the like*?

*Not soft grippy rubber, but actual flexibility of the sole (or lack thereof).

porlus
    Free Member

Been looking at the Shimano AM5s myself. Look pretty decent in the green colour.

chakaping
    Free Member

BMX shoes may be better than skate ones.

I have some Etnies and Teva ones that I just wear as trainers – so that they can be pressed into service if I forget my MTB shoes.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Am41 and am7 look like an option.

It’s not keeping the cost down buy don’t want to be put off!

Any thoughts on the Specialized 2fo flats?

johnhe

I rode flats with cheap skate shoes for years, but the difference in grip with a pair of 5 Tens is really impressive. I think you can get them as cheap as £50 on CRC, although I love my Freeriders which are about £75.

So my vote is to bit the bullet and pay a little extra.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Freeriders do look nice…… seem to be coming away from budget.

There is a pair of Specialized 2FO Flats in my size on the classifieds – any users?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Dunlop Squash shoes (assuming they fit your feet well)

£20*, natural rubber sole with a fine pattern, hard plastic (short) midsole, washable.

Downsides – slightly narrow, the inner lining wears fast (though it hasn’t bothered me in the slightest).

Current pair have survived a couple of years of riding and running, now also worn for work.

*Bonus downside – may involve going to Sports Direct and fighting not to accidentally purchase ‘extras’.

garage-dweller

The 2fo S came out well in a ST mag review about a year ago IIRC.

There is a fair point made above about bendyness of skate shoes on longer rides.

If I am doing the odd longer (in my case over 2-3 hours) ride I tend to put spuds back on for pedalling efficiency.

I find if I spin rather than pedal mash I don’t notice the squidge so much.

smurfly13
    Free Member

As much as I like the idea of spending less on a cheap alternative I think reading the comments and online research I will regret going cheap and end up straight back with my SPDs….

Looks like I will have to find some stockists and try some proper shoes on…. Shimano AM41, AM7, Five Ten Freeriders and Specialized 2FO to name a few I already like!!

mattyfez

Just recently fitted a set of superstar nano x pedals, work brilliantly with my cheap karrimore water resistant shoes..I prefer a stiffer sole and tried skate shoes (enties)but hated them. Also prefer a general out doors shoe for versatility.

Using ss frequent discount codes, you can get both the above for about £60.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

AM41s and Superstar Nanos here, great combo.

asbrooks

I use these Hi Tech with V12s
    Oh yeah, I paid less than £30 for them.

prawny

I used to have some slazenger shell toe rip offs from sorts direct which were at least as good as my current Teva Links before the sole ripped apart after a year or so. Tevas are certainly holding up better though, but much more expensive

jeff1155

Don’t a lot of MTB SPD shoes have a cover for the cleat fixing so you can use them as flats as well?

dudeofdoom

Not cheap but adidas terrex cross seem to be real nice to ride with and also very comfy for normal walking…running an carrying bike up silly mountain passes.

They’re a bastard offspring of 510 and adidas love mix.

I didn’t want carry to extra shoes on holiday and TBH a lot of the flats don’t have great arch support but I reckon these are the dogs..

I normally get 510s in the sales or sombrios.

VanHalen

Vans have a sale on at present.

i love vans shoes. my £20 sample specials are great. (edit – on the bike and off)

kevster
    Free Member

Anyone know of any good flat pedal shoe deals going?

pocpoc
    Free Member

jeff115
    Don’t a lot of MTB SPD shoes have a cover for the cleat fixing so you can use them as flats as well?

I’ve got some of these – they fit well but the general issue is that the soles on my shoes (Shimano mo86) are too hard to work well with flat pedals and don’t get any bite on the pins.
    url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046XERGU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1]

P-Jay
    Free Member

I used to use skate shoes, but they’re useless in the wet, worse than early 510s – they’re basically sponges and they’re ruined once they’ve had a good soaking.

Personally I’d find an old pair of trainers with flat soles, if you get on with them, get some 510s or 2F0s. 510 Freerider Elements were about the best priced, UK spec shoes I could find last month.

mark90
    Free Member

Currently using a pair of these….

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-500-mens-walking-shoes-beige-blue-leather-id_8322866.html

Quite grippy on superstar nano with short pins.

Only slight draw back is they do clog with mud easily when off the bike, but no worse than skate shoes.

For 30 quid I’m tempted to get another pair for when these wear out.

porlus
    Free Member

They look great. How do they size up fit wise.

mark90
    Free Member

I usually get 40 or 41 depending on the fit, in these I went for the I went for a 40/6.5. They are a narrowish fit though, which suits me fine.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cheap flat MTB shoes?’ is closed to new replies.