Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain tensioner and chain – SS advice.
  • Chase
    Free Member

I am down to the last two items on my shopping list for my singlespeed.

Just looking for the good and the bad when it comes to chain tensioners, and also a little advice when it comes to chains – does it matter whether I buy 1/8in or 3/32in? I'd never really realised there was a difference before when buying regular Shimano chains.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

_tom_
    Free Member

I'd go for a bmx chain, such as the KMC Z510HX, not sure what size that is though. In my 3 or so years of bmx I never broke that chain even when landing on it – solid and quite cheap.

Last time I checked the Gusset tensioner was the highest rated for vertical dropouts. I have a DMR STS and it's a bit rubbish tbh – I prefer using an old rear mech zip-tied to the chainstay (ugly but it works very nicely)!

jonb
    Free Member

Loads of people make tensioners. I've got a surly one, it's expensive but good. Next time I think I'g go for an on-one or superstar and save money.

I'd stay clear of the ones that push and tighten with a bolt. Looks like it would be a nightmare to get the wheel out if you got a puncture. I find it a bit of a faff anyway because you don't have the slack to work in the chain like you do with a mech.

Chains, I run 1/8, dunno why, just do and always bought the same ones so I know they'll fit. Someone said something about them clearing grime better because the gaps are bigger but then they are also noisier apparently. I imagine BMX chains (1/8) are easier to get hold of in a wider variety of models than the other sort.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

1/8th chain – SRAM 1 I think & DMT trnsioner althought would like to upgrade to a singulator

Chase
    Free Member

All sounding good. Thanks for taking the time.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

You won't necessarily need a 1/8 chain. You can get 3/32 singlespeed chains, which are the right width for most sprockets and chainrings. I got an Izumi one off fleabay. I like it coz it's shiny!
    I'm not that impressed with the on-one tensioner. It's so floppy on its pivot that it doesn't hang straight and runs noisy.. I had to bend the mech hanger to compensate. I'd shell out for the Surly one if I had to get another.

dobo
    Free Member

no need for a 1/8th chain. its overkill, heavy and noisy, 3/32 singlespeed chains are fine but so is and old 8/9 speed
    some tensioners dont work with 1/8th large chains

_tom_
    Free Member

I'd stay clear of the ones that push and tighten with a bolt. Looks like it would be a nightmare to get the wheel out if you got a puncture.

This is a good point, completely forgot about that. Part of the reason I preferred a mech, as with the DMR (and I imagine with the gusset as well) it has to be fully removed before you can get the wheel out. Right hassle if you take the wheels off to put your bike in the car or something.

Can front tensioners/guides such as the Blackspire stinger be used rather than a "rear mech" style one on SS? They look much cleaner and should still take up the chain slack?

epicyclo

Definitely BMX chain. You really don't want a chain that is designed to slip off the sprockets – as is the case with any derailleur chain.

As far as tensioners, I have tried quite a few. DMR STS and On-One better than Surly but there is another option Forward Components eccentric bottom bracket. That would leave you with a clean backend and no pulley to create drag or interfere with wheel removal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain tensioner and chain – SS advice.’ is closed to new replies.