Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Chain lube fetishists assemble !
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Most seem to suggest a clean and then a putoline bath.

Northwind

Sorry Proutster, I thought that had been covered. I deep clean mine- into a tub of paraffin for a shoogle. Never tried it the other way but I figure half the point of a melty wax is that it gets in everywhere, so cleaning out first helps with that. Also I don’t want my tin of wax to be full of crap.

proutster
    Free Member

Cheers mr blobby and Northwind!

Deep clean first of all it is then!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine sometimes just goes straight in the wax unless it’s filthy, putting water into the oil at 190C would be a very bad idea so washing in white spirit/paraffin if nothing else makes sure it’s water-free. And it only takes a minute as the chains off anyway.

There’s a bit of grit in the bottom the tin (now in the fryer) but it’s never come out stuck to the chain.

Not sure about the used engine oil idea, I found if I tried to top it up with oil it just turned to a viscous mixture on the chain which eventually washed off. Otherwise it’s not an issue though IME, I’d probably re-apply it as necessary (every couple of months on average unless I was going away for the weekend and was giving the bike a once over or doing a lot of miles on one bike). I think putoline recommend topping it up with their spray wax but I’ve not tried that.

Part of the benefit is not having to top it up anyway. Not being able to top it up after a ride is definitely compensated for by not having to top it up for 2 months.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mine sometimes just goes straight in the wax unless it’s filthy, putting water into the oil at 190C would be a very bad idea so washing in white spirit/paraffin if nothing else makes sure it’s water-free. And it only takes a minute as the chains off anyway.

Usually stick my chain in the oven for a bit after washing to make sure it’s dry. Someone will probably be along in a minute to tell me this is a really bad idea 🙂 (probably Mrs Blobby!)

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Chain lube fetishists assemble !’ is closed to new replies.