Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Center Parcs – Sherwood vs. Whinfell
  • iainc

We used to go to Whinfell a lot as it is handy to home in west of Scotland, however the pricing in school holidays has kept us away last 4 or 5 yrs. So October week this year we have just booked for Sherwood, at 40% less than Whinfell for same week and accommodation.

So for those who have been to both how do they compare, what to look for etc. I guess bike security still dodgy, so will have the kids Islabikes and my Jake well locked up in the lodge at night. My memory of Whinfell is that the on site eating was overpriced tat – any different of better ?

Thanks

ross980
    Free Member

On site eating is exactly the same. Sherwood is a bit more spread out. I prefer the swimming at Whinfell, but I think I’m in the minority. Sherwood Pines is a 5 minutes ride away (I think, I didn’t take my bike). They’re very similar tbh (as you’d expect)

hora
    Free Member

My partner prefers to receive at Sherwood

ski
    Free Member

As mentioned not much in them, we prefer Sherwood, partly down to the sports centre being closer to the swimming complex and the fishing is better ( my little loves fishing ) but oasis as we call it comes a close 2nd , if one works out way cheaper than the other then go for the cheaper.

They are the top 2 out of the 4 for us.

Edit – does the oasis one now have the ring water ride that sherwood has, we have not been to oasis for about 5 years?

iain1775
    Free Member

Both overpriced British rip offs even in October

Holland is where it’s at-
    http://www.duinrell.com/holidaypark/duingalows/package-deals/family-package
    Even with ferries it was significantly cheaper than centreparcs was going to be for us (and I live 30mins from Sherwood)

iainc

thanks all. is the bike security still a bit concerning, or have they cracked the problem ? will takes kids Islabikes but may leave mine at home and hire ones for me and wife…

mos

I was at Whinfell last year & there wasn’t any big ring rides. I do like the sound of riding a big ring, so you’ve made my mind up about going to Sherwood this time.

GrahamS

thanks all. is the bike security still a bit concerning, or have they cracked the problem ?

Concerning in what way?

We were at Whinfell this year (and last). Took our own bikes (and trailer) and left them chained up outside the chalet without any fear.

Tons of bikes chained up with incredibly flimsy looking bits of wire and crappy combination locks, chained to nothing at all. So anything chained sensibly with a half decent lock on it would likely be ignored by thieves as too much hassle.

I doubt bike theft is a major issue. Other sites may be different but Whinfell isn’t exactly within walking distance of the town centre, cars have to come through security, and the guests are all terribly middle-class and likely to have bikes themselves.

geoffj

We were at Whinfell in May. It tends to be a magnet for wannabee middle class parents and so there were more Islabikes than you could shake a TrailGator at – I wouldn’t worry. But as we weren’t taking our bikes, the sprogs made do with their scooters, which were perfect for bombing around the place and easy enough to live with without having to lock them up outside.

marcus7
    Free Member

As for the bike thing, i’ve always kept the bikes indoors overnight and lock them up outside during the day with a decent lock, most racks are on full view from the roadways so anyone attacking a lock would be pretty noticalble. I’ve only ever been to whinfell, not my ideal holiday but my kids love the pool etc so its a bit of a compromise for their benefit.

iainc

Thanks. My bike security concerns were based on when we used to go to Whinfell, and we haven’t been for at least 3 or 4 years. At that time there was a lot of chat about decent bikes being nicked, both at the bike parks and from the chalets (even inside). Sounds like not so much of an issue now. Kids are in the habit of locking their bikes and I will stick nobblies on the Jake and take that, with a big lock 🙂

mos

I was gonna take mine to whinfell & i’m glad i didn’t. The riding that there is, doesn’t warrant the hassle of taking it & worrying whether it will get nicked. Just hire a sh1tter & dump it outside.
    If you think you are going to do tons of riding because of CP’s proximity to good rining areas, then i would question why you are spending all that money to go there in the first place.

fubar
    Free Member

I think they were still warning about bike thefts when I went last year. Plenty of large vans in the car park which could hide a bike or two and take them away at the end of their break. I wouldn’t leave any decent bike outside overnight.

The take-away place (Chinese / Indian) was horrible last 2 times I tried so I wouldn’t waste my money on them again, other places fine.

GrahamS

The take-away place (Chinese / Indian) was horrible last 2 times I tried so I wouldn’t waste my money on them again, other places fine.

At Whinfell there is a new Indian place as part of the Sports Centre and it was really very good (pricey though).

iain1775
    Free Member

I was gonna take mine to whinfell & i’m glad i didn’t. The riding that there is, doesn’t warrant the hassle of taking it

There is life outside the gates, Whinlatter and the Lakes are 30 minutes away, Great Dun Fell(?) even closer
    I took a day out from Centreparcs and had some of the most enjoyable riding I’ve ever done when we went to Whinfell
    No security issues either, just kept bike inside the cleaning cupboard in the chalet, and locked it up properly with a proper lock in full view of people during the day. I suspect there is alot less scrots and bike nicking chavs at centreparcs than the average town centre (or even trail centre car park these days)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Center Parcs – Sherwood vs. Whinfell’ is closed to new replies.