Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cash or credit card abroad?
  • BillMC

Am off to Australia for a month later today. Which gets the better rate, getting cash from a hole in the wall or using a credit card and settling the account straight away? Any informed observations would be gratefully received.

uplink
    Free Member

In most cases it will be the debit card at a major bank ATM that will get the best deal

Merlinman

Bit late now Billyboy but there are CC's that don't hit you for foreign transactions?

I'd want a mixture, with a few quid in a condom up your rear end just in case!

Have a great time 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Just do as you would over here. Keep some cash, but pay for the rest on credit or debit card. Again like here, use debit card for cash from ATM's

trail_rat
    Free Member

too late now but spent 4 months in aus and nz and the best way we found was to get a nationwide card – no fee for the transaction and a good exchange rate

BillMC

Thanks for that and Rob I'll look forward to an invitation to come and ride up your end on my return. Last week in Aug ?

BigJohn

Mastercard are doing a 2% cashback on foreign transactions if you register beforehand.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cash or credit card abroad?’ is closed to new replies.