Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • cars still over taking when your signalling right ?
  • sofaking
    Free Member

where does the law stand on this ? 👿

redthunder
    Free Member

No

But if they cant see you… yes.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Happened to me this morning on the commute. 😡

Arm out, signaling right, checked behind and started to slowly move across then realised the car behind wasn’t intent on stopping. Just got out of it in time. The car was clearly in a desperate rush to join the back of the next traffic que.

richmtb

I try not to force my way across traffic when turning right, take primary position nice and early and you shouldn’t have too many issues

zbonty

I had a go at some pikey yesterday who pulled out on me (forced me onto opposite lane)only to park up 10m later.

Preceeded by getting McDonalds ketchup thrown at me from a van earlier in the day.

I’m going to wrap my lock around someones head this week- i can feel it

Deep breaths

PGreen
    Free Member

What about cars which over take, realise that you are going a little fast than they thought, finally make the move and take a left turning performing a hard stop in front of you, making you do the same!? 👿

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Do you not do it the same as you would were you driving?

If I want to turn right I look nice and early and wait for a reasonable gap then signal and move across so that I’m in the correct lane/side of the road waaay before I actually need to turn. A bit like defensive driving.

Despite many issues with car drivers this paticular part of road riding never seems to cause an issue.
    I dont ever expect to just signal and move out into oncoming traffic though, just as I wouldnt were i driving.

sofaking
    Free Member

If I want to turn right I look nice and early and wait for a reasonable gap then signal and move across so that I’m in the correct lane/side of the road waaay before I actually need to turn. A bit like defensive driving.

what if there is no gap ?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What about cars which over take, realise that you are going a little fast than they thought, finally make the move and take a left turning performing a hard stop in front of you, making you do the same!?

INCREDIBLY annoying and very stupid. Happens far too often.

mrmo
    Free Member

all i can add to this is the general stupidity of some drivers, tractor-trailer in righthand lane at a roundabout indicating to turn left (very tight corner) car goes up left of car and is surprised when the trailer crunches their bonnet.

D0NK

where does the law stand on this ?

That the driver is an impatient asshat?

Yes ride defensivley, maintain primary position yadda yadda so it doesn’t happen but at somepoint in your road riding life chances are you are going to have to look for a gap, signal, start to move over and when you do some twunt will be there to overtake you.

richmtb

what if there is no gap ?

I can see this being an issue if you have to turn right on a busy A road, where the traffic is moving much faster than you. In a normal urban 30mph zone I’ve never know it to be an issue, the traffic is maybe only travelling 5-10mph faster than me (if that). In this situation take the lane early and make your intentions clear.

DezB
    Free Member

sofaking – Member
    where does the law stand on this ?

I don’t think there is any “courtesy law”

My fave signalling right moment – road has a cycle lane, so ride on this, then signal after the last junction before mine, gives cars plenty of warning and me time to look over shoulder, move out – normally someone slows and lets me across (and they get a thumb up from my signalling hand).
    This one time (at bandcamp) I stick my arm out, look over the shoulder, see a red car with no intention of slowing, keep the arm out, WHACK! the old f~*ker drives into my hand!!

MartinGT
    Free Member

Had this last night, stupid WHORE in a lexus, **** bitch.

I wasnt pleased at all. Signalling for a while and started to move out and she came speeding up and slammed her horn on, I slowed and was ready to ask her what the issue was and she sped off.

The UK driver has a SHOCKING attitude to cyclists – simple. Its mostly because we dont fine RLJ **** or **** who think its acceptable to cycle on the pavement.

Hairychested
    Free Member

This one time (at bandcamp) I stick my arm out, look over the shoulder, see a red car with no intention of slowing, keep the arm out, WHACK! the old f~*ker drives into my hand!!

Look, signal, manoeuvre. What you’re saying is: signal, look, bang! Back to a driving school, I’m afraid.

thomthumb
    Free Member

The UK driver has a SHOCKING attitude to cyclists poor driving- simple. Its mostly because we dont fine RLJ **** or **** who think its acceptable to cycle on the pavement. tolerate all sorts of traffic offences whether it be drivers or cyclists

MartinGT
    Free Member

True Thom. This week I have almost been taken out 3 times by women messing about on their phones, or messing about with makeup. When is there a copper when you need one?

D0NK

I don’t think there is any “courtesy law”

What about when you are slightly right of centre of the lane (you don’t wanna leave the gate open for numb nuts who are also going right undertaking you then cutting you up) and they still overtake?

What you’re saying is: signal, look, bang! Back to a driving school, I’m afraid.

possibly but if the driver was giving as much room as he should he wouldn’t have hit DezBs arm.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ride along out of the gutter – it makes carts overtake you properly rather than let them squeeze past. They have to pull out to get past.

A way back from he junction start checking for gap where the cars are not nose to tail – see one, signal right – stare at the driver of the car behind untill you are sure they have seen you and are letting you out. Then pull out with a cheery wave to the driver.

Some will be **** and cointine to pass in their haste to get to teh next jam – ignore them, laugh at them. They are not putting you in danger as you should be watching them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are ready in position to turn right ie a few feet inside the centre line then they are utter idiots and I would have thought reckless driving at best.

DezB
    Free Member

Look, signal, manoeuvre. What you’re saying is: signal, look, bang! Back to a driving school, I’m afraid.

Eh? So, because I don’t type up the events exactly verbatim, you presume I’m in the f&&*ing wrong. Jeez. Won’t be giving you the link to the Massive Attack mix that’s for sure!

trb
    Free Member

I used to have one particulary bad juntion for this where I’d signal right, take up correct road position and people would overtake me while signalling to turn left at the roundabout.

As this was on the way home from work at 5pm, I can only assume they were driving in fear of missing the start of Countdown or some such emergency

The key is to get into the correct/prime/assertive road position so that the they have to go around you, then the highway code says it’s encumbent on them to make sure it’s safe before they overtake (or words to that effect)

DezB
    Free Member

possibly but if the driver was giving as much room as he should he wouldn’t have hit DezBs arm.

Right – I’m in a cycle lane, he has plenty of time, space and warning to see me and my signal. I negotiate the same junction almost daily, so I think I know the safe way to approach the bloody manoeuvre!

D0NK

got a right turn on my regular commute, the approach is single lane either side massive chevron section in the middle, then a right filter lane. If I ride primary on the approach cars overtake me on the chevrons and block me in. If I ride the chevrons I get undertaken by right turners. Can’t win.

MartinGT
    Free Member

The highway code states that when overtaking a cyclist you give them the same room as you would a parked car.

Does this happen?

Pffft NEVER!

MartinGT
    Free Member

Another quote from the highway code

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

ibis
    Free Member

To be honest iI dont have much respect for most road riders, even though i ride myself I see a lot of stupid things.
    One guy recently got knocked off in front of me as the car in front was indicating to turn left doing 20mph and the roadie was overtaking him at the same time down the left hand side on his car.
    He got up and started raving on at the driver.
    A week later I watched the same guy weaving in and out of traffic at the same place.
    Good and bad and stupidity in everone on the road. 😕

phil.w
    Free Member

As this was on the way home from work at 5pm, I can only assume they were driving in fear of missing the start of Countdown or some such emergency

were they driving a DeLorean ? 😉

MartinGT
    Free Member

Ibis, Ive seen that so much.

It annoys me when cars overtake and then turn left, knowing full well the cyclist is there. But when the car is infront and signalling to turn left, the cyclist has to be respectful and aware of whats going on in front. Yes the driver should check their mirrors, and act accordingly, but in that situation, I always slow down let the car go.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Ride along out of the gutter – it makes carts overtake you properly rather than let them squeeze past. They have to pull out to get past.

i’ve found it makes no difference to how close they overtake, just gives you somewhere to go when they overtake too close.

Hairychested
    Free Member

DezB, how about hooking up with a local Bikeability trainer for a quick session? I rode in London and its suburbs for years without bother, others have too. If you ride in a cycle lane you’re asking for trouble to begin with. It’s one of those things that the Highway Code has wrong (another one is you are to ride in the left-most lane all around the roundabout regardless where you are exiting but you must signal all the time), don’t use it, ride your bike as if it were a motorbike. And get trained, ok checked.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It certainly gives you that as well. I do find it makes a difference tho.

DezB
    Free Member

DezB, how about hooking up with a local Bikeability trainer for a quick session?

Please edit that you patronising pillock. That’s the most insulting sh1t I’ve read on here. Your judgement that I need training is from one poorly worded (I admit) posting? I’ve been commuting for the past 15 years and not been knocked off once. You know nothing about the cycle lane I’m using, so how can you say I’m asking for trouble? Piss off.

ourmaninthenorth

Law is a tricky one, but *ought* to protect the cyclist on the grounds of

1. The vehicle behind can see clearly
    2. The cyclist is necessarily less able to see behind, not being fitted with mirrors.

However, the cylists can’t just signal and swing right – you still need to do all reasonable actions to check and not move into the path of another vehicle. We know that cyclists may be overtaken by cars, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that cars may try to overtake.

The real key is to try to develop your route to avoid too many right turns. I have six on the way to work – only one is in “open” traffic (and is a junction on a bend, for added fun).

MartinGT
    Free Member

In QLD Oz(according to Robbie McEwewn’ Twitter) today they have become the first state to make it the law to give xyxlists a min of 1m clearance when overtaking etc.

gazc
    Free Member

this happened to me this morning, riding in a ‘defensive’ position (as i alway do with all my biking paraphernalia on) signalling right, checked for a gap which there was, went into gap so i was in the middle of the lane still signalling and some utter nob in a crappy corsa decided to plant the throttle and narrowly overtake me, swerving in before traffic coming the other direction and narrowly missing my front wheel. can’t see how riding any different could have avoided it, but bloody annoying cos not only did he nearly have me off the bike he could have hit the person coming the other way! unfortunately didn’t get his number plate 🙁

bring on a minimum overtaking distance although struggle to see how can be enforced really

Bridlewayman
    Free Member

The law is’nt bothered.
    Drivers do try this on – I had one try it on me las week. You can do stuff to prevent it – ever considered Cycle Training? – these days its as rigorous as Motorcycle Training, and if you’re lucky it might be available free in your area (it is in Notts)

crazy-legs

In QLD Oz(according to Robbie McEwewn’ Twitter) today they have become the first state to make it the law to give xyxlists a min of 1m clearance when overtaking etc.

There was that stupid petition that cropped up on here sometimes 2 or 3 times a day at one point asking for it to be made law that cars give 3ft of space when overtaking. What a load of crap that was – they can’t enforce the current laws like having insurance and VED, keeping disqualified drivers off the roads etc, how on earth is someone going to enforce that one?! “Oh I’m sorry sir, you only gave that cyclist 2’8″, it’s a £60 fine and some points for you”.
    Never going to happen.

Fortunately the reply that came back from 10 DS gave it short shrift – the ruling is already there in the Highway Code that you should give “at least as much space as you would a car”.

The problem lies with the fact that the vast majority of motorists and a substantial minority of cyclists are w@nkers. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

gazc – sit up and stare at the driver of the car behind until you are certain they have seen you , registered your presence and are going to leave room for you to pull out.

s
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘cars still over taking when your signalling right ?’ is closed to new replies.