Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cardiff restaurant s
  • ste_t
    Free Member

Girlfriend’s birthday, we’re in Cardiff, need to go for dinner, not Italian.

Help!

catfood
    Free Member

Indian, Mint and Mustard on the Whitchurch Road, exceptional.

Jamie
    Free Member

Imagine it’ll be booked out, tho.

Edit:

http://www.mintandmustard.com/reservations/

Could, still give them a ring tho.

taxi25
    Free Member

Bully’s Romilly Crescent.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Potted pig
    Arbennig
    Fish at 85

stevemorg2

Arbennig in Pontcanna

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Potted Pig is nice. I went there a couple of years ago after an STW recommendation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

McDonald’s with a candle?

[video]https://youtu.be/c8WaDbQVbb0[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

Smokehaus is good for burgers etc very generic but good. Not romantic though.

copa
    Free Member

Pink Poppadom. Stylish Indian restaurant.
    But I reckon you’re missing the best ones by avoiding Italian.

ste_t
    Free Member

She finds Italian food quite boring, so rules that out.

Potted pig
    Arbennig
    Fish at 85

All look good, none open for dinner on a Sunday?!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Check out this blog, should give you some ideas, are you looking for something fancy?

http://gourmetgorro.blogspot.co.uk/

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I was about to suggest gourmet gorro, got to meet and share a beer with Ed who writes it a few weeks ago, proper nice guy and my go to when I have a food blank

Tinners

Bullys. Great cooking and a nice intimate atmosphere. Russell’s discrete and attentive service will make it even more special.
    Arbennig across the road is ok, but atmosphere can be cold, and depending on what time of day you go, the servive can be abysmally slow. Feels a bit like eating in a corridor at times and if you go during daylight hours, you’ll be glad they stuck frosted cellophane on the windows to detract from the ugly looking street outside. That said, if it’s busy, it can be great and the food easily beats the chains.
    Fish at 85 serves fresh fish, but so fresh it’s like being sat in a fishmongers with raw fish on ice next to where you’re eating. The strong smell of fish is not to everyone’s taste (if you know Asthon’s fish counter in the market and the strong fishy smell as you walk past, you’ll get that 100x sat in Fish at 85). As long as you don’t mind that, fine.
    Smokehouse is ok for a casual night – craft ales (incl from the excellent Pipes brewery around the corner) and younger clientele, but nothing “special”. The fillings are great but they’re let down by the cheap processed rolls. Chips don’t seem to be freshly cut either and suspect they’re out of a bag/frozen. They also have need for waiting and kitchen staff at the moment and that is sometimes an indication of problems. Good but not “special”.
    Potted Pig is great. They also have a sister venue in Llandaf. I’ve not eaten in the Llandaf venue but have eaten in the main St Mary St restaurant many times and it would be high on my list. It’s situated in a basement with no windows (an old bank vault) but works well and the food’s great.
    Another suggestion would be The Clink. A curveball that’s way better than you’d expect given the circumstances….
    My top 3 would be Bullys, Potted Pig, The Clink.
    If you’re venturing out of town, James Sommerin’s place in Penarth setves Michelin starred food but v v expensive. I’ve only eaten there once, but left feeling that whilst it’s v good indeed, it’s just not worth the money (tasting menu & wines to match).
    Better still the tasting menu with matching wines at the Hare & Hounds in Aberthin or Market Tavern in Cowbridge (both more pub orientated though), but not in the centre of Cardiff so not really what you’re asking for.
    Finally, have a look at Park House restaurant. May be what you’re after too.

SaxonRider

The Chapel near the new Admiral building. It’s an old Methodist chapel that’s been converted. You can request one of the booths which are discreet little niches. Lovely place and superb food.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cardiff restaurant s’ is closed to new replies.