Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Carbon Forks – before I press the buy button
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new pair of carbon forks for a new build (SC Highball). The On One Monococque forks seem to be a good buy at £100 and the 470mm a to c are about the right height. I have also looked at the Exotics. My son has a pair and they seem fine but he has never pushed them very hard so they may be ok….I don’t know. They are marginally shorter a to c.

There are more expensive forks out there that I lust after but to keep within budget, I want to spend no more than £150.

Is there anything I have missed…apart from Niner, Salsa etc etc! :o) (I don’t want to wait for a pair to come over from China so UK based is preferable.)

nemesis
    Free Member

It might be worth noting that many of the Chinese direct forks will arrive within a week. My frame did.

slowjo
    Free Member

Interesting…which brand?

Northwind

I had a set of the alu steerer exotics, they didn’t get a huge amount of use tbh but they did get used properly (downhill trails and the like) and clumsily, and never seemed bothered. Flexy, if that bothers you (I reckon it can be beneficial, bit of sideways travel and lump-evasion ;))

I also had a set of Hylixes which seemed good too, much stiffer and also a lot lighter- they were delivered from china faster than some things get delivered in the UK.

nemesis
    Free Member

Well I got mine from Miracle/Ican via Aliexpress but I expect there are others who do fast delivery too.

ref the Exotics though, I had a set and they’re up to plenty of abuse.

T666DOM

I’ve had 4 sets of Flyxii full carbon forks on various bikes, usually delivered in a week & haven’t missed a beat, less than £100 delivered

Yak

I’ve had both. The exotics ride very nicely imo. Yes flexy, but nicely flexy and give a nice forgiving ride. Surprisingly good at biggish hits too.

The on-ones are a little more precise with a little less sideways give, but still comfy enough. Finish isn’t as good though and the crown race seat needed some wet and dry paper to finish off the seam to get the crown race to seat properly. Once done – all fine.

On a steel bike, I would choose the exotics. On a stiffer bike I would choose the on-ones.

scotroutes

Another thumbs up for the Exotics. I reckon they’re not quite as flexy as my Pace RC31s but still enough to give a wee bit of comfort.

eskay

And another +1 for Exotics, nice ride, nice finish, nice price.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Exotics-as above-nothing not to like.

globalti
    Free Member

I sent my Rebas away for a warranty repair and bought some eXotics to keep me riding, then liked them so much that I never bothered refitting the Rebas and eventually Ebayed them. They are nice and light, very smooth and you can endo the bike without fear.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Took delivery of my Chinese ones this week. Cost £120 inc import duty arrived in about week. Tracking was amazing almost an email a day telling where they were and when they did arrive I was in the lakes and they kept sending me emails almost demanding I go and pick them up and sort of the duty 🙂
    Not fitted yet gonna sort next week but the look amazing almost identical copies to whiskey components but fraction of the cost

unovolo
    Free Member

Got a set of the Flyxii’s too, these ones to be precise
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FK008-Full-Carbon-UD-Matt-Matte-29ER-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-MTB-Fork-29-1-1-8/1300891434.html
    Cost me £86.12 at the time plus import duty which was about £20.

Received within a week and pretty well finished.
    As received with uncut steerer.

Built up on my Aliexpress Partsbin special

stumpy01

I keep looking at the eXotic forks for my Inbred. They look like a decent option.

I had a look at Flyxii ones, but they don’t seem to do non-tapered steerers……

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Forks – before I press the buy button’ is closed to new replies.