Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carbon Fork, brake hose protection
  • verses

I’ve fitted my shiny new carbon fork but I’m worried about the brake hose rubbing against it where I’ve cable tied it. How are people protecting this, or do you even bother?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just add a small section of 5mm tube to your cable tie…

verses

Thanks for the suggestion, looks very neat. Unfortunately mine’s a rigid fork so doesn’t have a lower crown (i assume that’s what it’s called) to tie around, so presumably I needs to cushion the area under the whole cable tie?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter where you attach it – all you’re doing is adding a piece of tubing to the cable tie in order to secure the hose/cable and keep it away from the fork/frame. It’ll work anywhere you can wrap a cable tie.

verses

But won’t there be rub marks where the cable tie itself meets the fork?

nuke

Just put a bit of electrical tape under the ziptie. It shouldn’t move much so will work fine

I like fishy’s method and will be using that myself

verses

Cheers, I’d been thinking of a bit of old inner tube, but leccy tape is probably more simple.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The plastic tubing acts like an anchor. When the cable tie is tightened, the tubing grips the fork/frame. Movement of the tie and the tubing is minimal if you tighten the tie up properly at installation. Although there may be some movement over time – and some stretch from the tie/tubing – on a suspension fork or frame, on a non-moving area like a rigid fork it leaves the hose very well fixed. You could put a wrap of electricians tape under the cable tie if you wanted, but, from my experience, I’d say that it isn’t necessary. Just use pliers to pull the cable tie tight and then check it every once in a while.

MrTall
    Free Member
    verses

Cheers for the tips. For now I’ve wrapped some leccy tape round the leg and used some folded over inner tube in a similar manner to Fish’s section of hose. I’ll get a bit of hose and tidy it up when I get chance.

giantjason
    Free Member

on my carbon fork i have just wrapped some clear tape around the fork where the brake hose would rub it and then zip tied over both. Been like that for nearly a year now and although not the most pretty solution, it seems to work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Fork, brake hose protection’ is closed to new replies.