• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ji.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Car Hire Mallorca
  • willstaffs
    Free Member

Hi,

I remember seeing a thread a while back on this topic but can’t find it using the search function!

Any recommendations? I have used ok car rental in the past which was a nightmare and also used Europcar which was very good but is coming out at around £180 for a week in June. Anyone experience with Centauro or drivalia?

Thanks

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If there’s one thing useful on trip advisor, it’s the forums for popular holiday destinations. There is plenty of stuff on there advising which car hire companies are good and which are a nightmare. Take a look. I did as we’re renting in July. As far as recommendations, geoffj of this parish recommends centauro. As soon as you start checking with the companies who are OK to touch with a barge pole, the prices start climbing mind.

Smudger666

Yeah – we paid £140 for a focus sized car about 5 yrs ago from one of the multinationals so i would question if the savings from £180 would be worth it.

Pieface

After recommendations on here and looking on trip adviser I’m booked through auto Europe to pick up a fiesta from Centauro for £110 for 10 days. I then got excess insurance from moneymaxim for about £20.

There’s a shuttle bus to the offsite depot but the on airport sites look busy and potentially bottlenecks in that car park. All the other, cheaper companies seem to get consistently bad reviews on tripadvisor.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member
    nicks
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Sixt and full insurance included in cost.

Avoid Gold Car as I’ve seen hour+ long queues to pick up keys on my last three visits !

beanum

Avoid Record, or at least check how their fuel pricing and conditions compare to other companies as we got ripped off by them once…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Bookmarking as going in July.

Probably going to rent local in Puerto pollensa for a few days rather than full week from airport.

grizedaleforest

Never had a problem with Sixt and full insurance included in cost.

I too would recommend Sixt – have used them many times without problem. You can also do all the check-in in advance. Don’t ignore the comment about queues at the car hire desks. The volume of passengers going through the airport can be stupendous and although it processes them reasonably well, there can be biq queues at some car-hire locations.

ji
    Free Member
    geoffj

As DD says, I use Centauro. The price is good and you avoid the queues in the terminal.
    And of course 3rd party hire car insurance.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Hasso – been using them for 10yrs, 3+ times a year as have place out there

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

geoffers, I was getting no some online quotes last week – noticed some brokers doing centauro cars for less than going direct with centauro themselves. Do you think there’s any difference doing this? I’m guessing the brokers get better wholesale rental rates in the same way that say, Snowbrainer are always cheaper than booking with the ski shop direct, even if it’s a “chain” of ski shops, if ya get me drift.

geoffj

Dunno dd. If it is defo a centauro car then it should be ok though.

tomd
    Free Member

We went a couple of years a ago and used a cheapo local place on arrival. The main advantage was that the Fiat Panda we got was really cheap and was made of at least 3 Fiat Pandas. You could have driven it off a hair pin on Sa Collabra and not incurred any excess charge because there wasn’t an undented panel on it. It was good in a way because we didn’t have to worry about cramming mtbs into it.

The main problem was that the brakes failed and the tyres had zero tread. Luckily they failed on a flat bit of road into town!

If I was going again I’d suck it up and go with a reputable international company.

drlex
    Free Member

FWIW, I used both Centauro & Avis and both were fine. Returning the car at Avis was chaotic in comparison to the ease of Centauro, but downside is the (short) minibus transfer between airport & compound. About the same price, but the Avis Seat was a better drive than the Punto.

stabilizers

Terry’s car hire. Great experience last year. Good price good car. walk straight past the queues and into your car and off you go. They are reviewed on trip advisor too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Checking Terry’s now – seems like a good recommendation stabilizers. They do child seats for free so would save hassle of having ours dragging out of our arses through airports. Thanks. Prob between them and Centauro

stabilizers

Forgot to say I am using them again this year…10% discount for returning customers. Quality of the child seats was decent last year too

ji
    Free Member

Yeah I recommended Terrys in the other thread. Great and no hassle

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jeez…5 door fiesta/Ibiza €660 for 2 weeks from Terry’s. 😐

ji
    Free Member

We paid 336 euro for a 7 seater, but that was in October.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Car Hire Mallorca’ is closed to new replies.