Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Car conundrum – what would you do?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

So, after months of over-thinking my next car, I had finally decided to buy a brand new Sportage or Quashqui – paying for it through my business on HP so in four years time I would own a car outright rather than stay on the lease treadmill. This would cost me roughly £500* a month for 4 years (assuming I can get a car for around £20k which Carwow says I can, then allowing approx £4k for finance charges).

However, I have just found an offer on the outgoing Volvo XC60 R-Design and even with winter pack, metallic paint and reversing sensors added as extras it is working out at £340* a month over 3 years (£1,500 down + £250 a month exc. VAT).

*These prices are gross – I can claim 50% of the VAT back on them.

So I can’t see past leasing again – saving me £5760 over three years which I could put into my pension and I get to drive a nicer car.

Is this the sensible option?????

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is this the sensible option?????

Did this almost identical thing a few months ago…I think it was after reading DrP’s thread when he was buying the Skoda Yeti IIRC.

Went into Volvic dealership, originally to get a V40 on HP/PCP – and back in January, they were doing mental leasing offers on the XC60 – SE Nav Leather for £250ish per month. PCP on a V40 was going to cost way more (HP even more again…but you’ll have been through all this). So, I went to WhatCar leasing site, got some deals from there from some Northern Dealers which were a chunk cheaper than Bristol’s dealers. They price-matched so we went back to their original offer on a “what can I get for that then”. So, it’s R-design LUX, winter pack, front and rear sensors and a few bits more all for around the original price. 😀

Unfortunately, a load of others must have done the same thing and we’ve been hit by the increase in VED from delay in delivery times, but no matter. It’ll be our first lease, which we can run through Mrs DD’s Ltd company.

We’ll have to live with the shame of driving an SUV and having an end of model car while all our rivals drive around in (beltingly expensive I imagine) new XC60s. It’ll be tough, but I think we’ve prepared ourselves for it. 😐

If you’re HPing or PCPing a car, I can’t see beyond leasing either. I see PCP as equivalent to renting anyway. HP makes a little more sense, but much higher payments etc.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I didn’t read the figures, just the Sportage vs Qashqai vs XC60 thing. Get the Volvo.

legend
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

I didn’t read the figures, just the Sportage vs Qashqai vs XC60 thing. Get the Volvo Macan.

wilburt
    Free Member

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Car conundrum – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.