Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Canyon Strive Race v Spectral EX
  • lochussie
    Free Member

Hi guys. I’m stuck choosing between the Strive Race and Spectral EX. How is the Strive on tamer, less steep and gnarly, more flowy stuff like trail centres? How does the Spectral do on long rocky gnar eg riding down a mountain. Also, is it solid enough to take a lot of this without issues?

I’m coming from an old alu Nomad, which is great for the gnar but a bit much for trail centres, am hoping to get a bike which is great at both.

Also, should I trust the online sizing tool? At 5″11.5 I expected to be large but it says medium for both these models.

Any advice appreciated.

mrhoppy

Spectral is fine for bashing down mountains. Feels solid enough for me and I’m fat and talentless. I’m basically the same size as you, large is the right size but it’s tight on the reverb/seat tube, I have got barely any seatpost showing.

Hi

I have both bikes due to a mid winter N+1 accident.I’m 178cm tall and Canyon recommended a medium in both and they fit i have the seatposts raised about 1 inch. Both bikes are great the Strive is faster and more stable going downhill and the Spectral is faster up hill and weaving through tight trees and general cross country stuff.
    If i could only have one bike it would be the Spectral as i feel its a better all rounder but the Strives a great bike and i’m glad i have both.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I took delivery of a spectral 7ex a few weeks ago and am very happy with it

I’m 5’11, got a medium, and am very happy with how the sizings turned out.

Never ridden the bigger bike, but unless you are doing proper big drops I think you will find the spectral to be more than enough bike

jsm

I’m the same height 5ft 11 ish. I went for a large. I prefer the bike to feel a bit reachy and a little more stable. The canyon website only seems to care about leg length.

IMO You are in the middle ground of sizes. Do you like the feel, nimbleness of a short top tube or the stability and speed of longer TT? My back prefers to be stretched out when climbing.

M6TTF
    Free Member

2015 7EX – I’m a smidge under 6ft, with 33″ inside leg. The online size guide put me right between sizes, but I stuck with gut instinct and went large. Glad I did too!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and tried a friends medium spectral. Too small, certainly smaller than my large santa cruz (which are on the small side). I’d go for a large every time.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Got a AL8.0 EX perfectly good in the rough use mine for uplifts occasionally instead of my DH bike. It’s a really good climber I don’t think i would fancy the strive at trail centres, I’ve not ridden one but the spectral is a really fun bike. I’m 5.10 and on a medium.

prettygreenparrot

Spectral AL 7.0EX here. Considered the Strive but figured that extra twiddling probably wasn’t my thing. 5’10” with a medium that feels fine so far.

tomaso
    Free Member

Amate bust his Spectral chainstay in short order. If you want to do gnar I’d go Strive. Its a compromise either way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive Race v Spectral EX’ is closed to new replies.