Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Canyon nerve xc what's the catch?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

I have a gf roscoe 140mm and would like to trade it for something more my riding style being xc,trail centres and a tiny amount of dh. The canyon xc looks spot on but I can’t help but think there is catch for that price.

Does anyone have one and regret it? appart from dh, is this bike capable for all the uk has to offer? I’m looking at a nerve xc 7 and am worried that if I sell my bike I’ll regret it. I’ve had my bike nearly three years and fancy a change. Something better on the climbs and general acceleration what I’m looking for.

chojin
    Free Member

The first time you’ll use it, you (or it) will burst in to flames and die horribly.*

*may not actually happen

supersaiyan
    Free Member

HA a bit steep for some maybe?

obviously, this being STW, i have never ridden one.

bradley
    Free Member

dan thomas, All you seem to hear is good reviews about all of canyons bikes. If I could get finance on them I would have one already personally.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I have the XC 9 and it’s a great bike. Works well for my riding in the Peak District.
    I have found a few minor niggles in the 8 months I have owned it. For example the paint scratches and wears if you so much as look at it. It does give the bike that lived in feel I guess with all the nicks and scratches 😐
    Also the cable routing is a bit suspect, at least for UK riding. The cables supplied were also the cheapest of the cheap and I have just replaced mine and the front X0 shifter which had a badly worn ratchet as a result of cable friction (and my lazyness also I suspect). Luckily SRAM replaced the shifter under warranty.
    The problem is the routing to the front mech comes under the bottom bracket and then up through the frame through a hole which is not sealed and just collects water and all manner of crap.
    I guess you just need to be super on the ball about cable maintenance and cleaning.

Those minor niggles aside I find it works really well, just point it up a path and pedal and it gets you to the top with no fuss and equally I have had no issues with chucking it down a rocky descent.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well I have one for 6 months. The catch is you’ll want to ride it lots!

Seriously – he only downsides I’ve come across is the mech hanger seems weak (possibly designed that way) and is £10 postage for a replacement – I’ve bent 2 so far.

And it mightn’t be the prettiest in black & white. But the black adonising (sp?) seems rock hard (harder than paint anyway).

And changing the front derailleur cable can be a challenge if you’re not used to internal routing.

The main plus is how well it pedals (in my limited experience comparing to a Super 4 and a Yeti ASR).

So small negatives really.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

heh two wildly differing opinions on the paint. Weird. To be fair on mine it is the silver finish that has become all scratched, the black hasn’t.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

heh two wildly differing opinions on the paint

Pistols at dawn! I was typing mine comment before I saw yours but I dont think mine is actually painted though (more anodized) – I’d need to double check.

But whatever it is – compared to other frames I’ve had it’s holding up great. Good point on the cable routing btw.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Mine is anodised black with silver finish on the top tube. It’s this silver that has become horribly scratched already. It’s caused by silly things like the zips on my shorts scuffing it when I manoeuvre it out of my front door.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ahh- ok – gotcha. That is probably a fair point then. My white TT strip did get a proper scratch after it landed on a rock upside down whilst I practiced my superman flying technique. 😳

I helitaped it after that: it didnt occur to me that it was prone to scratching.

#Edit – some other mini things imo : the lower headset bearing isnt exactly readily available. Luckily Superstar do one for about £8.

I’ve only heard of one cracking under warranty (that was probably my main reason for buying this after a terrible experience of repeated cracks with the previous frame).

Otherwise – if you’re happy to buy mail order and are of average dimensions / gangliness – I think they’re a good buy.

Shame my lbs cant sell them!

danjthomas
    Free Member

Now I want one more. I’m thinking of giving it a few months and ordering a 7.0. That spec is more than good enough.

hairbymaurice
    Free Member

I will take your roscoe of you! How much do you want for it?

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d have thought the AM version would have been a bit more versatile, although not sure weight-wise how it compares with the Roscoe. I’m tempted by the Nerve CF but waiting to see if they do a decent 29er FS for 2013

justatheory
    Free Member

Had mine for over a year now and have got on well with it. I managed to completely right off the front wheel but that was my fault rather than an issue with the wheels. The annodizing is holding up well with only a few minor rubs here and there. It’s

I’ve ridden in The Lakes and lots in The Dark Peak and It has always felt steady and composed + it’s reasonably light so good for the climbs. A good solid all rounder that’s value for money.

If you get one be careful with Canyon’s online size calculator. It recommended me a medium and that would’ve been far too small. If in doubt give the UK customer service centre a bell.

Dogsby

I was looking at a Nerve XC but am now thinking about the new Nerve CF as it is the same price and comes in a better paint job. Off to the factory in Koblenz to try one in a couple of weeks.

Dogsby

adrianmilleruk
    Free Member

Go for it and look at the Strive to. I am so happy with mine it’s a great climber not for a xc racer but great for an all day social rider who loves to fly down hill.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Canyon nerve xc what's the catch?’ is closed to new replies.