Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can you reuse a Shimano chain pin?
  • Lakes_Puma

I needed to split my chain to swap the front mech, I managed to find the Shimano pin that I used to join the chain initially and used a chain tool to push it back out.

Once I’d swapped the mech I pushed the pin back in place, seems solid enough.

But am I asking for trouble doing this?

lucien

What’s the worst that could happen?

anjs
    Free Member

no get a powerlink

argoose
    Free Member

+1 power link

relliott6879
    Free Member

What’s the worst that could happen?

The worst that could happen is that the chain could snap. Annoying but not exactly the end of the world. I’d invest in a SRAM chain (I’ve only ever used these, right back to when they were Sachs-Sedis) and either change it over now or, if you don’t mind doing these things at the side of the trail, pack it in your daysack/Camelbak/seat pack/whatever you use along with a chain tool and swap it over when the Shimano chain gives way.

Lakes_Puma

Cheers for the replies, I have a spare power-link so will probably change it before I ride next.

coatesy
    Free Member

I would, Shimano joining pins are oversized, and aren’t supposed to be removed once fitted as they reckon they’ll be more likely to fail (probably a different colour so they can be identified as the one not to be touched).

Lucas
    Free Member

You’re supposed to split it at a normal pin and then use the special pin to join it again. Not what you did, the chain will probably fail at the pin you have used. It will fail when you’re powering uphill, you will fly forwards and mash your bollocks or knee on the stem!

anc
    Free Member

Sram chains are overpriced chocolate, they had the edge 10 years ago, things have moved on since.

cp

As Lucas. I’d be tempted to break it at the same point and put a powerlink in. The shimano rejoining pins are a slightly larger diameter than the normal pins, so once used in a link, you shouldnt take them out.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I did it once…never again.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have reused them many times because I failed to read the instructions which say they are once only. Never had a problem but I’ve now gone over to sram chains and their far superior power link system.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve joined them in the old way…not always reliable.

Sram links are nice but silly money.

cp

Three quid a pair for the last links I bought a couple of weeks ago from ebc….

cp

Double post…

gearfreak
    Free Member

The worst that can happen is the side plate will split off, jamming in the rear mech, this will inturn damage/destroy your mech hanger, rear mech and possibly rear wheel. You will simultaneously crash, braking your shoulder blade. Due to this work will fire you and you will become jobless and homeless, and your wife will leave you.

I’d put a quick link in now, they’re only a couple of quid, really it’s worth it. (Split the chain at the same point you split it before, get rid of the outer plates at this point and replace with SRAM powerlink)

Lakes_Puma

I’ve removed the Shimano pin and put in a SRAM power link I also shortened the chain as I remembered last night that I’ve just gone from a triple front to double front, so my outer ring is smaller that it used to be.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Phew, I was worried about your future for a sec there.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

You will have a “testicular stem interface moment” when it breaks.. 😳

martymac

ive done it before, it was okay for a get you home type situation.
    it snapped the first time i gave it some (real) power though.
    (i was seated, and using the big ring when it cracked)
    my kids are glad i wasnt standing up to sprint at the time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can you reuse a Shimano chain pin?’ is closed to new replies.