Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can you help? Routes in the Highlands
  • twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Morning all,

In a couple of weeks 4 of us are headng up to Fort William for a weeks off-road adventuring in the Scottish Highlands. My first visit so very excited about seeing some real wilderness (I’m informed that there isn’t a tea shop at the top of every hill a la Leith Hill – can’t believe this is true *gasp*)

So – we’ve been getting the maps out and have looked longingly at possible routes and would love to talk to someone who’s got some local knowledge.

We’re travelling with trailers so miles and miles of really technical trails is NOT what we’re after. We are happy to push bikes for short sections in order to avoid long road sections and get wonderful views and to link up two valleys.

We’ll have tents and plan on using a mixture of bothies, camp sites and youth hostels if we get too wet and fed up.

If you can help then either post here (or better still) email me direct. Happy to donate to a charity of your choice for your time.

Thanks

TM aka Rich

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Not sure about the west coast but from Dunkeld area, there’s some good landrover tracks that take you right into the cairngorms, definately multi day stuff with a few bothies along the way. Very wild.

See here for inspiration: http://scottishmountainbikeguides.com/guided-holidays-scotland/tour-of-the-cairngorms

Cheers for the plug Paul!

We have a Tour of the Cairngorms going this weekend, so expect some photos on our flickr page towards the end of next week.

Got good availability on the next Tour of the Cairngorms starting 20th June, or could put on a custom trip on any date if you’re interested. It takes four days and costs from £185 per person (self-guided) or £295 guided.

Phil
    http://www.scottishmountainbikeguides.com

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

All,

Any further knowledgeable people willing to help? (and thanks to those who’ve responded directly so far)

Phil,

Now that you’ve used my thread to advertise your wares ( LOL – 🙂 ) Could you offer some route suggestions?

As mentioned, happy to donate to a charity of your choice (and we’ve joined the MBA in preparation…)

Thanks

TM

How many days riding are you thinking?

matt_outandabout

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/
    ‘4 day Fort William Circular Tour’, on left side

montylikesbeer

The ride into Culra Bothy from Dalwhinnie, is a must

robgarrioch

You could probably find some good routes looking for stalkers tracks, black dotted lines leading into the hills off minor roads, though I’d check around in case they’re in use.. I’ve done a couple up home (near Gairloch) that are no longer ‘stalked’ and been pretty surprised what’s there, eg.
    Sheildaig
    Obviously, keep track of weather up there over the next 2 weeks, though last year it were glorious throughout late April + May. Midges shouldn’t have got going either. I’d seriously look around Glen Garry, bound to be stacks of walking tracks you could hi-jack.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas and the inspirational photos.

Phil – we’re going for a week – If its okay I’ll drop you an email.

anyone else have “must do” routes for a group of 4 with trailers from Fort William?

Thanks

TM

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Quick post to say thanks for those folks who sent suggestions for routes. You know who you are. Very helpful indeed!

Pics of the adventure…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can you help? Routes in the Highlands’ is closed to new replies.