• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Can you finish a marathon with just a months training?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

As title really, guess its not advisable but can it be done?

richmars

Yes, but you need as much mental toughness as physical.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

It can be done relatively easily. Read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Izzard#Marathons

druidh
    Free Member

Yes. Of course.

How fast though?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17456672

sc-xc

I agree about the mental toughness. It was acouple of years ago that I tried my first.

I got about 2/3 of the way in, and hit the wall. I felt like being sick, and could have just given up.

I managed to get through, and finished it. Not sure about the time, – but to me – it was always about the achievement.

Mind you, it was a king size one, and I’d not long had my tea.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by ‘marathon’ and ‘finish’.

If you mean running 26 miles without stopping in a reasonable time, then I reckon some people could do that without any training, especially if they didn’t have to worry about walking for the next few days. Most couldn’t though.

If you mean covering 26 miles on foot in as long as it takes then I’d say the majority of people could do that with no training. Personally I don’t really see that as ‘doing a marathon’ though.

iDave
    Free Member

I finished an ultra marathon after 5 weeks training

I’m doing a half ironman after 12 weeks training

So, yes you can – if you really want to. There are smart ways to train for this kind of thing.

jambo13
    Free Member

I don’t read the Daily Mail but I did see someone post this on Book Face the other day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2116959/No-food-training-Jedward-manage-make-way-end-LA-marathon.html

Course you probably need to be off your face on ‘performance enhancing’ stimulants…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Ok so I have a place for the London Marathon in a month, but for a number reasons I have done no training, I went out for a run this evening first time in months and got wondering about a run/walk get around attempt…

bobbyg81
    Free Member

If Eddie Izzard can do 43 in 51 days Im sure you’ll manage! Good luck mate!

jambo13
    Free Member

I’m sure some training is better than none!! Good luck!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d guess it’s more about what you’ve done before the month than during.

iDave
    Free Member

If you take the run/walk approach, walk fast for at least 1km between running – brings huge recovery gains compared with walking couple of hundred yards or so.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I reckon so, yeah.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks idave, on another note we had butternut squash mash for the first time tonight, inspired from here…

General fitness is ok, generally cycle 3-400 miles per month and uptill 6mths ago used to do a couple of short runs per week.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I did no training, quit the booze for 2 weeks, 3hrs19. Done some more marathon and super-marathon (80km) since, at this stage of the game, rest, stretch, eat well, no booze is all that can be done. A 5hr walk is worth more than a one hour run. Get used to being on you feet for long periods of time. Learning to eat on the move is useful too….sounds odd, but true.

HTH

Kev

Taff
    Free Member

If you have at least some base training then yes. Decent socks and Vaseline for the feet, tape for your nips and off you go.

I’ll give you some plaudits for that one sc-xc, as it seems to have been passed by – nice one.

Rusty Shackleford – FAIL

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I had indeed missed sc-xc’s post and it is a much much better effort than mine 😳

richmtb

I’m running a half marathon next week with only a bit of training. The hardest part of going from cycling to running was getting my feet used to it. If you are fit, and by the distance you cycle I’m sure you are, then you will be able to run 9 minute miles all day long as long as your feet don’t fall apart.

So spend lots of time on your feet and Compeed is your friend

andrewh
    Free Member

Finish. Yes.
    Win. No.

AndyP
    Free Member

As above. Pretty much anyone could finish one with no training. I did half a dozen or so 30 min jogs before I did the London marathon a while ago. I finished it. Not very fast at all, but I was just aiming to get round. Piece of p1ss.

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno, the chance of hurting yourself so much that you can’t continue is fairly high. I’ve been running for a while and I couldn’t run that far without really damaging something.

phil56

A friend did the London Marathon with very little training, dressed as the Pink Panther! He ran most of the race alongside a Royal Marine, although he had to put on a spurt at the end as he didn’t want to get beaten by the Marine – as he had a fridge on his back!
    I think they both beat the guy in a full deep water diving suit – so, yeah, you should be OK.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are fit, and by the distance you cycle I’m sure you are, then you will be able to run 9 minute miles all day long as long as your feet don’t fall apart

Yeah not for me.

I think natural aptitude comes into it. Some people are much better built for running than others by default – more so than most other sports I reckon. Before really working on my running I don’t think I could do three 9m miles never mind 26, despite being a decent biker.

I could maybe run three 7m miles now if I were really on form but after that my knee ligament starts really hurting.

clubber
    Free Member

Walking at 3mph.

26ish miles = 8 and a bit hours

Yes, I reckon that any moderately fit person could manage it.

iDave
    Free Member

Useful podcast here from 33 mins in. Applies to biking too.

http://www.marathontalk.com/podcast/episode_47_prof_tim_noakes.php

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Some lad off here posted that he fancied running a marathon, then went out and did it the next day.

So, yes.

Edit – enjoying that podcast. Cheers iDave.

Gunz
    Free Member

+3000 for the nipple tape.
    I say again – WEAR NIPPLE TAPE (Oh the pain!!)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Can you finish a marathon with just a months training?’ is closed to new replies.