Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Can you copy a DVD and up load onto iPad.
  • Rochey
    Free Member

Not tried it yet but before I start my question is – Can it be done, if so how.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Yes. Google handbrake.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes
    Handbrake to rip to your PC/Mac. Import it onto iTunes library, Sync to finish. Easy

AJames
    Free Member

Yes, upload to your iTunes account and sync the iPad, if you have enough memory left.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

You also need a plug in called dvd43. It overcomes the anti piracy stuff on the DVD. it works in the background allowing Handbrake to get on with copying.

Some countries I is illegal to copy a DVD so be warned. My opinion is that as long as its for personal use and you actually own the DVD,mthats just fine.

There are loads of settings to play with on handbrake regarding quality etc. and copying a DVD isn’t a quick job for a PC, it’s probably an overnight job as you can just leave it to get on with it when started.

Also, you will need a card reader for the iPad. Apple do them for £25 or you can buy hem off Amazon for £5 delivered like I did.

You need to fool the iPad into thinking the movie is a picture by putting the copied and inverted lie into a folder that a digital camera might set up (Called DCIM ) and call the movie something like your camera would name a photograph, eg IMG_1234.jpeg.

Works for me anyway.

Oh, you can’t watch from the SD card, you have to import the movie to the iPad to watch it.

Hope that all helps.

EDIT, above is or popping movies onto a card so you can take loads of films on SD cards and watch what you bring without needing to sync to your computer.

batfink
    Free Member

+1 for handbrake…. converted my entire DVD library, now sits in iTunes and movies mover to iPad a few at a time for watching.

Make sure you use the iPad preset, and they should be about a gig or two each

Rochey
    Free Member

Now I REALLY confussed, I thought it was a 2 min job, Im NO PC geek, so Simon Simon terms needed.

MAin PC is running Window 7 (does that make a difference) and also run iTunes on that also.

cheers

leffeboy

As above. Handbrake but you don’t need the card reader unless your are going to save lots of movies on card. I just sync the ones I want. Handbrake has an iPad setting so it’s easy. I’ve never had to use any plugins like dvd43 but that might depend on whether or not you machine already plays DVDs.

Just download handbrake from handbrake.fr and try it

bellys
    Free Member

You could conver it to a AVI file With http://www.xilisoft.com/dvd-to-avi-converter.htmland then download Cinexplayer from iTunes. Drop file in to CineXPlayer and watch.

djflexure

How do you import from the sd card onto ipad? Is there a specific player?

GrahamS

You really don’t need to do anything special. Just rip it to DivX/Xvid as you would any other DVD (or just download a torrent of one that someone else has ripped).

No need to involve itunes either. Or SD cards. There are several video player apps that will let you either stream or copy DivX movies from your home media server across wifi. I use Ace Player for this.

Rochey
    Free Member

OK downloaded (I think), put DVD in but did nothing, now what do I do,

djflexure

The SD card would be neat for holidays – entertaining kids etc.

Just tried to hook one up through an old iphone usb photo adapter and usb sd card reader. No joy.

Rochey
    Free Member

working, once completed how do I get from download file to iTunes?

batfink
    Free Member

Rochey…

Find where handbrake has saved the new file (the file path is defined on the main screen), then drag it into iTunes…. the area in the top left where it says “my music, my movies” etc. The film should then appear in your movies library in iTunes

Connect your iPad then select it from your devices. Click on the “movies” tab and select “sync movies”. You can tell it to automatically sync all movies, syn unwatched etc etc…. but for now just sync the movie that you’ve just added.

Click apply

bosh, done

Rochey
    Free Member

IT WORKED!!!!!

Thanks to all your help and advice STW.

Rochey
    Free Member

IT WORKED!!!!!

Thanks to all your help and advice STW.

leffeboy

well done for sticking with it 🙂

Rochey
    Free Member

Sorry, how do you copy the DVD again (eg – disc in, DVD play but how do I copy) from then onwards I’m OK.

batfink
    Free Member

open handbrake…. select the DVD as source, make sure you have the ipad preset selected, and hit go!

Rochey
    Free Member

No, how do I copy DVD onto my Window 7 PC

DrP

DVD decrypter…from t’web.

DrP

batfink
    Free Member

That will do it (handbrake as described above).

“ripping” = decoding and copying the contents of a DVD onto you hard drive.

“encoding” = Re-formatting a movie so that you can play it on whatever device you want (eg: iPad). This also tends to shrink the movie from about 8 or 9 gigabytes, to about 1 or 2…. depending on the settings you use to encode.

Handbrake does both steps at the same time.

If you just want to rip a DVD onto your laptop to watch later (on the laptop) – use a dedicated ripper program, as this will be faster than ripping and encoding in handbrake. I use ripit (a mac program) but there are about a bazilion rippers for windoze out there, just google “DVD ripper” – perhaps somebody here can recommend you one, or just pick one and try it out.

Edit: as per dr P above!

Rochey
    Free Member

cheers, but I have already dod it 2 nights ago but now I cant remember.

Rochey
    Free Member

Done it.

adsday
    Free Member

Hi I need a bit of help with this, I have used handbrake to rip the dvds and copied them from the folder into Itunes but the playback quality is awfull am I doing something wrong ?

batfink
    Free Member

Check which preset you are using in Handbrake.
    Click on “toggle presets” and pick the one most appropriate to the device that you want to playback on.

The higher the quality encode, the larger the file size. I encode my DVDs down to about 2 gig (Apple TV preset) and they are virtually indistinguishable from a DVD on a 32inch tv

adsday
    Free Member

Its really weird i have downloaded attack the block direct from brand new dvd and chose the ipad preset but the picture quality is rubbish and the sound only kicks in every half a second so you cant understand whats going on
    I must be doing something fundamentally wrong

Cougar

the sound only kicks in every half a second so you cant understand whats going on

If it’s any consolation, I had perfect sound quality with that film and I couldn’t understand what they were saying half the time either.

Jason
    Free Member

You might need the DVD43 plugin mentioned above. I had the same problem until I used that, works fine now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just download from the pirate bay…..

If you own it already, format will be right and it will be quicker

GrahamS

If you own it already, format will be right and it will be quicker

Just to point out: even if you already own it, downloading a torrent is still “illegal” (under copyright law).

When you download torrents you are also offering them to other people to download from you, so “I have it already” is not a defence.

Oddly enough I’ve handbraked nearly all of my films but two of my light viewing dvd’s (schindlers list & saving private ryan) only records half the chapters despite it scanning the whole damn thing!!

It means they never find private Ryan & schindlers has yet to start on that list he keeps putting off till tomorrow

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Does handbrake work for,Disney / pixar movies?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Can you copy a DVD and up load onto iPad.’ is closed to new replies.