Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Can i use Shimano R451 / 105 callipers with flat bar levers?
  • binno
    Free Member

Hello all,

I’m after a long drop calliper in black that works well as front brake for my winter commute bike. Both the Shimano R451’s / 105’s specify that they must be used with the correct sti’s for the leverage ratio. Just wondering if anyone out there know’s if these would work fine with v-brake levers, i have the type which has the adjustable cable tension position?

Thank you

reggiegasket
    Free Member

V-brake levers pull too much cable for dual pivots, so you end up with a hard lever and no power.

The Avid SD levers with adjustable modulation (these may be the ones you refer to) are just about acceptable on their ‘softest’ setting i.e the shortest pivot length but power may still be an issue.

To work properly, you need levers with a pivot length of less than 25mm, and preferrably more like 20mm. In other words either flat-bar specific levers like the Shimano R440 or R770, or the old-style cantilever levers such as DiaCompe SS7 or equivalent.

binno
    Free Member

i see, so the idea is pull as little cable as possible in the lever stroke?
    Will dig around for some old canti lever, thanks

Vortexracing

I have some drop brake Shimano levers for a flat bar at home. I think they are the R440 that RG mentioned.

I was going to advertise them tonight as part of a full flat bar set-up but I may split the set-up, but they are just what you are after.

mail me at

eastham8 at aol dot com

if you fancy the sound of them.

edit.

They are these R550 for flat bar use.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34695

reggiegasket
    Free Member

i see, so the idea is pull as little cable as possible in the lever stroke?

yup. short pivot length = not much cable pull but plenty of power, which is what you need for dualpivots.

Vortex’s levers are perfect.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Can i use Shimano R451 / 105 callipers with flat bar levers?’ is closed to new replies.